“Nasty!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Canton

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hampton Inn Canton
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Canton
North Carolina
“Nasty!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

The one word that best describes the Hampton Inn in Canton, MS is NASTY!

As a business traveler (averaging more than two nights a week on the road for the past ten years), I've seen the best and the worst when it comes to hotels. The Hampton Inn in Canton, MS is now on the bottom of my worst places to stay list.

I spent a few nights at this hotel in early 2010. At that time it was decent and I had no major complaints. So when visiting the area last week I rebooked the same hotel.

First of all, no one told me the place was under renovation, but I can deal with that. It's not the first time and won't be the last time that I have to deal with the inconvenience of construction work. I can handle dirt and debris typical of a renovation.

However, I can not handle the filth that I found in my bathroom the next morning. I checked in late so I didn't pay any particular attention to the condition of the bathroom until the next morning. I when I stepped into the shower I realized it had not been cleaned after the last guest checked out.

I can handle a lot of discomfort and inconvenience, but I can't handle filth (and that is exactly what this was). I checked out that day and found a room at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgeland, MS (only a few miles away). EXCELLENT decision!

Room Tip: Here' a tip...Don't stay at the Hampton Inn in Canton!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

When I arrived you could see some work was being done on the exterior of the building, as well as construction in the lobby. Not a problem, things happen and renovations must be done. I checked in with no issues although the staff person seemed indifferent at my arrival.

Upon getting up to my room I walked in and was greeted by your standard Hampton Inn decor. Nice and clean, but relatively simple. That's not a negative, just a statement. However, as I started to get settled in, I noticed a few things that bothered me. The desk chair was very stained and dirty in appearance, I'm sure it was as clean as possible, but not what I would've expected. The electrical outlet in the wall above the desk was loose and not mounted very securely.

When I went to make a cup of coffee, the lid to coffee pot was broken and wouldn't stay on. The pot also was dirty and didn't look like it had been cleaned to well. The bathroom and shower were nice, but the shower floor did appear a little stained and dirty.

The beds were very clean and comfortable and the room had a nice, "fast" tv. Overall, it was a fine stay, the place just seemed a little dirty at times. If I had to stay in Canton again, I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BhamJohn
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed here over the weekend and not a bad stop. I was worried when I first arrived because of the outside appearance. Earlier damage to the front of building by semi's and the remodeling in the front lobby but when I got to the room my fears where gone. Clean room with a micowave, coffee maker and free wifi. Plus the front desk and cleaning staff was friendly. Nothin special about the breakfast and the room did not have a safe was the only issue I had. Overall this is why I choose a chain hotel over a no name one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank richj65
New Orleans
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed here with my 3 kids when we evacuated from Hurricane Issac. It's a typical Hampton Inn, though it needs some renovation. The location is kinda dicey -- not bad, just not near anything. There are a few fast food restaurants and a couple other eateries, but you have to venture 10-15 miles south for anything else. The a/c wasn't working very well in our first room, and the beds were quite lumpy. I called the front desk a few times and the friendly gal finally sent us to another room, which had adequate ac and more comfortable beds. My kids enjoyed the outside pool. Still, the room was too small for 4 of us, especially given the fact that Jackson was also about to experience heavy rain and wind. They also ran out of towels, which I can understand given the situation. I have to give kuddos to the fantastic staff, though. I lost my credit card during this time and they went out of their way to help me search for it. The housekeeping staff was so friendly and wonderful; they came to my room and helped me look for it. When I spoke with manager Gail Clanton upon check-out, she was so warm and reassuring, promising to call me if they found it -- which, a couple days later, they did. Ms. Gail was so sweet and the entire staff was so welcoming and friendly that I hate to give this hotel anything less than 5 stars. But a few updates (listen up, Hampton Corporates) would get them there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gemmom
Hamilton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stay here for work. Overall, not a bad hotel for the area. My rooms have been clean, though a little humid regardless if you run the AC or not. No signs of bugs. The front desk is cordial and friendly.

I did have one issue where the housekeeping staff did not replenish my towels. Actually took them all instead. After asking at the front desk for towels, I waited 2 hours. When they did not show, I dried off with a hand towel. I will cut them some slack though as it was during the recent hurricane and they were busy with other calls/customers.

Canton, is not known as the mecca of excitement. I recommend heading to Madison or Ridgeland for food and entertainment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jay G
Meraux, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

A bit dated, but still pretty decent. My room was pretty clean and the staff was great. I am hard to please, and this was was a good option for us during hurricane evacuation. Hotel was pretty quiet and saved us money with the daily breakfast. I only wish they would allow my dogs in. Good option for us on this trip. Bedding was really clean and they was the comforters each guest. Fridge and microwave in room.

Room Tip: Second floor a good option.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Casie W
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I like Hampton Inns. They are generally clean, comfortable and safe, with a friendly staff. This Hampton Inn was none of those. My room smelled of mold and had mold on the bathroom wall. My clothes had the same odor when I unpacked the next day. The furnishings are dated and the carpet dirty. A sign in the parking lot reads, "Guests assume all risks." There was no one on the front desk when I arrived and left. My hosts told me that if they'd know where I had reserved, they would have told me to cancel. It is a truly dismal hotel in an otherwise reliable chain.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank brendastarlet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
BEST WESTERN Canton Inn
#4 of 8 in Canton
Hilton Jackson
Hilton Jackson
#1 of 38 in Jackson

Been to Hampton Inn Canton? Share your experiences!