“Roach Motel”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brandon
Dallas, TX
“Roach Motel”
Reviewed October 20, 2008

The lobby of this hotel looks nice until you get on the elevator. The doors open to a dillapidated couch sitting in the hall with the cushions all falling through to the floor. Although there were nonsmoking signs on all the rooms, the hall and my room smelled terribly of smoke. The first room they put me in had mildewed windows and dirty, old furniture. Because of the smoke, I asked to move, so they gave me a room 2 doors down. This room had the screen half hanging off the window., and a large fist -hole in the bathroom door. Dingy bedspread, chairs with stains, very uncomfortable bed...I didn't even feel like the sheets were clean so I put a tshirt over the pillow case so I didn' t have to put my head on the pillow. I found a small roach in the bathroom that night that I killed, and as I was walking out the door the next morning, I saw a HUGE one (2-3 inches long) running across the bathroom floor! Disgusting!!! I let the hotel clerk know, and he acted surprised there were roaches!!! Don't stay here- it felt unsafe and very dirty....

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nashville
Reviewed April 23, 2008

My wife had secured a reservation with this Microtel online via credit card. We received the confirmation number online.

On Saturday, April 19, we had gotten called 7 or 8 times from the front desk at this Microtel. When they repeatedly called, they kept asking if we were going to be coming; and we repeatedly told them that yes we will definitely be there & to honor our reservation. During the fourth or fifth phone call from them that day, they wanted to get our credit card # from over the phone and run it. I told them that the room was held already and that we had the confirmation number. They said that the room is only held as what they were calling a 'cash reservation'; we reserved it by credit card. Well, when we got into Brandon, Mississippi, we got called again while we were at a restaurant just prior to checking in.

When my wife & I got to the Microtel, I asked the lady at the front desk why they kept calling us several times throughout the day. I told the lady at the front counter that I simply don't understand why they had to call us repeatedly when we had the room reserved by credit card already. She told me that it's just her policy; and I said that I've been reserving hotel rooms for 20 years and have never had a situation like this. Then she said, "If you don't stop harassing me, I'll just give your room to someone else." I simply could not believe her reaction to my questions & concerns! My response to her was that it was our room for the night and we wanted to check in. Then she responded, "You're harassing me! I'm calling the police on you!" AND SHE ACTUALLY DIALED 9-1-1 ON THE PHONE THERE AT THE FRONT DESK! My wife and I both looked at each other in stunned disbelief! I could NOT believe that just for me voicing my irritation with being repeatedly contacted throughout the day over a room that I had a confirmed booking, this person representing Microtel was going to actually call the police on me. This was simply outrageous behavior on her part!

Just after she dialed 911, she hung up, then dialed another number. By this time I was livid but I chose to just quit talking and remain calm because afterall, she had already threatened to bring the police into this - for some ridiculous reason. My wife and I were ready to leave and go to another hotel.

The second number that the desk clerk dialed was to her manager - the owner of the hotel branch.

The branch manager(or owner?) , I think that his name is Chig Brahmbhatt and his wife came to the desk and he smiled and said, "This wasn't your fault, nor was it our fault." I said, "There's no excuse for calling us several times about this hotel room when we said that we've got a confirmation and will definitely be here." He said, "It was a cash reservation." I then said, "How could it be a cash reservation when we reserved it with a Discover card?" He said that it's just the way his system is. Well, we eventually got our room. When we got in, it was clearly not well kept but not extremely nasty either. There were only two towels to use and one of them was not clean. There was no shampoo provided in the room. The soap in the room was so old that it just fell into pieces when I used it. There was no iron or ironing board in the room. This hotel was definitely not the worst nor the best place we've ever stayed. BUT it definitely IS the first Microtel that we've stayed in that was nasty and not well kept and not filled with the average supplies that a hotel offers. It is the first Microtel where anyone was anything less than courteous. That experience was ridiculous and uncalled for!

My wife and I have stayed in several Microtels and absolutely loved them for their cleanliness, hospitality and for the reasonable price. We're hoping that this is the only Microtel where we have this type of experience and we hope that Microtel will take care of this location and bring it up to the quality that Microtel can offer.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank 10Fishman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brandon
Red Roof Inn & Suites Jackson - Brandon
La Quinta Inn & Suites Brandon Jackson Airport E
Best Western Plus Flowood Inn & Suites
Ramada Pearl/Jackson Airport
Courtyard Jackson Airport/Pearl
La Quinta Inn & Suites Jackson Airport

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Brandon? Share your experiences!