“Fantastic”

Above Bored Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 North Perth B&B and Inns
“Fantastic”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This B&B was recommended to me by Murdoch Veterinary Hospital. My large dog requires some major surgery and several ongoing appointments so I needed pet friendly accommodation that was also very safe & secure. This place is fantastic with enough garden for the dog to follow smells and be happy. I stayed in the master room which also has direct access to the garden. The room and house is very clean and tastefully presented yet extremely comfortable. Sarah also has plenty of menus on file for the surrounding restaurants whether it be formal, takeaway or home delivery. This B&B is in a nice quiet street, close to a good park for walking the dog, but close to many conveniences, and easy access to the city or the freeway for further excursions.

Room Tip: I don't think any room would disappoint.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank-you so much for taking the time to review our B&B. We love pets here, and their owners. We understand that dogs who travel are loved by their owners like the third child, and we are one of the few places in Perth where you can bring them. We clean daily, so they can sleep in your room, the gardens are lovely, and there is a wonderful dog park around the corner, with friendly dogs and nice owners.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kent
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We have just spent 4 nights at one of the finest B&B's anywhere, with surely the most charming host. Sarah was unfailingly friendly and helpful but never intrusive. The room was exactly as described. I would just add that the air conditioning was efficient, the bed extremely comfortable, the quality of the toiletries first class and the breakfast provisions plentiful. The large integral garage made unloading the car easy and provided extra storage space if needed. (We didn't). We particularly liked the peaceful private garden where we could relax with a glass of wine and a cigarette without fear of offending other guests.
Above Bored is conveniently located with easy access to local amenities and public transport. By car it is about a 20 minute drive from Perth airport, 10 minutes to the city centre and 30 minutes to Fremantle.
All in all this was a wonderful start to our Australian adventure. If we only we lived closer we would certainly be back.
John & Ann
Kent
England

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank-you so much for taking the time to write your review. I have to say you guys should be recommended as the most personable guests ever. You were such a delight to have around and I do hope you will be passing Perth again, as we'd love to have you come and stay with us again.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have just completed my stay in the Garden room for 2 weeks with my dog, Bolt, and the first night I arrived, I found that I had not booked in until the following night, my mistake, and the inn was full. Instead of Sarah turning us away (it is almost impossible to find accommodation in Perth which accepts pets) she generously allowed us to stay in her side of the accommodation, which goes well beyond her call of duty in my estimation. Sarah is a kind and friendly host, and a famous screenwriter, so it is a fun experience staying here. I love the Garden room. The sun does not hit the stained glass panel until well after mid-morning and the light coming in before then is not bright, as there is a shady roof over the door and windows, but if you want total darkness it’s easy to hang a towel over the stained glass panel, but I don’t think it necessary. I sleep in often on holidays and I slept really well. During my stay Sarah had the shower resealed in fresh white and the inside shower door knobs serviced to new (see my photos attached, and some of myself and Bolt in the lovely gardens) which I guess means that this property responds promptly to rectify any issues guests raise. I think it’s an arty amazing B&B. All the linen is top notch, the cleaning is regular and well done, my dog loves Sarah and we enjoy using the back yard gardens with lovely flowering buses, and enjoy looking at the tranquil koi pond, using the hammock etc. I highly recommend the Garden room. You would have to go far and wide to find a lovely well equipped room like this with kitchenette and dishwasher, remote controlled garage and pet friendly in Perth, with a new gas BBQ right outside the door. As a long stayer I received Sarah’s stay a week and get your 8th night free deal, for both weeks, which made the daily rate competitive for short stay in Perth plus no pet bond. I simply cannot fault it, or the kind hospitality we received here, which well exceeded the call of duty.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Sasha (and Bolt the lovely poooch),
Thanks so much for not only taking the time to write such a lovely review, but also to post pics up showing how we responded well to an earlier reviewer who was not happy with a couple of things about your room which we rectified during your stay. It makes it all worthwhile to know that our efforts to make sure all our guests are happy and happy to return are appreciated. And it is great that you mentioned one the discounts we offer, which makes coming to us directly to book in the most cost effective way to pay for your stay. Direct is always best. We cannot be beaten on price.
Thanks Again,
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The Jewel Above Bored was an outstanding discovery for me my sister and my cute slightly mad Maltese doggie Gina. We stayed for 2 nights, 24 &25 Dec 2013The accommodation was in a word "perfect", bed super comfortable and fantastic linen. The breakfast and sitting room area, again comfortable and kitchen appointments wonderful. Room for the the Champagne and the first B&B where we had the opportunity to make our own breakfast with generous supplies of all you required. Bathroom had all you could desire to satisfy your needs. Great water pressure in the shower.

Location excellent for access to the city.

Sarah the owner was a delight and helpful.

We recommend Above Bored for any discerning traveller and if you have a doggie you will be further adored by your pooch.

P&J and Gina

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi Gina,
Thank-you so much for taking the time to show your appreciation for our property by writing a review online. It is lovely feedback and we work hard to make sure that all our guests are happy and happy to return. It makes it all worthwhile to read glowing reviews such as yours.
Thanks Again,
Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed December 21, 2013

My partner and I, along with our little pooch, stayed for a night in the King Room. I am quite fussy with cleanliness etc (having worked in top hotels) and could not fault the high standard in our room, the bathroom, and the kitchen area. Everything we needed was there; the owner (Sarah) was generous with breakfast provisions, and bathroom necessities. Sarah was attentive yet very respectful of our privacy, and made us feel welcomed. We had a very restful night with lovely bedding making for a comfy sleep. It is rare to find such a lovely b&b which allows doggies as well, and also the little touches (hammock in the garden) and outdoor furniture were lovely too. Will choose this as my Perth accommodation.

Room Tip: Either room would be delightful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank-you so much for taking the time to write a positive review. Some people only think about writing a review to complain, however, it is really important to other guests to be able to know from independent sources when people are as happy as you were with your experience (as most are here, judging by the majority of our reviews and our visitors book with is brimming with lovely comments). And since doggies cannot talk for themselves, it is doubly appreciated, as we are one of the very few pet friendly AAA rated 4 star places to stay in Perth, where they are welcome, as we love pets and welcome them, along with their lovely owners, of course. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you and see you again soon,
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The location of this B& B was perfect for me! The room was well appointed with a well stocked little kitchen. The bed was large and comfy (taking up the majority of the room). The room is filled with light (even at 7am - if you need darkness to sleep perhaps choose one of the other rooms)

The glowing reviews this B&B has gotten in the past may have set my expectations high. Unfortunately the cleanliness of the room wasn't up to my standards. The first time I spent real time in my room I kicked off my shoes to find that the floor was gitty and sandy (possibly because that room was serviced after the last guest left, sat for a few days having dirt blow in under the door??), the bathroom and kitchen taps hadn't been wiped and dishes were dirty (photos attached). I washed the dishes in the included dishwasher and found a broom in the garage. I didn't feel comfortable knocking on her door telling her that room wasn't clean.

I had 2 encounters with the owner. Unfortunately the 1st one wasn't a positive one. My flight was delayed an hour making me late. I dropped my bag and headed straight back out. When I left through the side gate Sarah chased me into the street looking at me confused. I explained that I was the guest in the garden room. She then told me to let her know if I needed anything. Honestly after that exchange I felt a little unwelcome and came and went via the garage door so I didn't disturb her. On my final day I saw Sarah again and had a lovely exchange that all other guests seem to have.

This place has great potential let down by the cleanliness. An easy fix for the owner!

Room Tip: The Garden room is private but filled with early morning light
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Nicole,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our room.

I feel there has been some misunderstandings but I hope to rectify at least some things in response. I go out of my way to greet guests who get their code to come in before arrival so sometimes they can be illusive, so I wasn't confused on your first day, just trying to be friendly and greet you, on your way out, and had to rush to catch you, but that was me doing my best to say hi with you on the fly. Then I didn't see you and that is fine as we try to always respect what a guest wants, and if they choose not to be chatty or say hello, we know they want privacy and we do not get in the way of that.

I really wish you could have drawn my attention to those things your were unhappy about and we would have instantly rectified them to the best of our ability right away. For instance, before your stay your floor was both vaccumed and washed. However, our routine sanitisation of the reverse cycle air con happened after that and the maintenance man may had walked a little dust in on his shoes and we didn't think to reclean the floor as he did all his cleaning of the unit outside, he just went 2 steps in and up his 3 step ladder to remove the parts he routinely cleans outside and out again, then back again when they were done, so I guess any grime was in those 2 steps on the way in or out, and we apologise for that oversight. The shower is cleaned thoroughly and the seal they used around the edges has yellowed a bit over time, which is a hard one as we have tried every product to bring it back to white and it hasn't worked, but it was cleaned, just no longer pure white. The fitting inside the shower that holds the glass door wasn't dirty either but it has corroded a bit. We apologise that the kitchen sink tap wasn't sparkling and we have had a change of cleaning staff and we assure all guests that this will be sparkling in future! There were no dirty dishes in the room, the glass in the photo wasn't sparking either, but it wasn't dirty, we added rinse aid liquid to the dishwasher that is provided in the kitchenette as it has run out in the dishwasher and that will not happen again either, so sparkling glasses are assured in future.

Again we try to stay in touch with all our guests during their stays but if a guest goes out of their way to go the other way through the garage provided with this cottage, and not take advantage of our lovely gardens or to say hello, we are sensitive to their needs, but it is always best to speak up, so as not to leave with any feeling of dissatisfaction, which makes us unhappy too. You are the first guest to talk about the stained glass panel in the front door as a source of unwanted light in the morning, although we got the hint when we saw you hung your towel there to block morning light, and we ask our regular guests if it is of concern and if it is, we will install a blind, as it has never been brought up before, so we thank-you for this feedback.

Despite its smaller size than the more spacious rooms in the house, the garden room is really popular, I guess because it is in a stand alone cottage, has a lovely garden setting, and its own kitchenette and remote controlled garage. Anyway, Nicole, you are obviously a gal with an eye for detail, my only regret is that you didn't these things while you were here, as I did ask if you had an enjoyable stay as you were leaving and you didn't bring it up. Most importantly to all guests, please speak up while in residence if anything is not as you would wish and we will do all in our power to rectify it on the spot to ensure that you are happy, as that is our job.

Best Wishes on your travels, Nicole and we hope to see you again. If you would like to try the Master room or King room in the house next time, you will find them more spacious and there will be the opportunity to chat with other guests in the shared lounge dining room then also, if that would suit you.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We have been lucky to find an accommodation on very short notice, which also welcomed our little dog Tiny. It is only 'around the corner' from our home, but we felt being on holidays somewhere else. We had the master bedroom - high ceiling, open fire, wooden floors and beautiful bath-, which has also access to the enclosed front yard.
Breakfast provision were in the fridge designated to out room. A nice host who took my phone call and did the booking for me, which saved me the hassle of the online booking system. We were greeted nicelt and felt very welcome. Enjoyed and still enjoying our stay!!!!

"After all, the best part of a holiday is perhaps not so much to be resting yourself, as to see all the other fellows busy working." Kenneth Grahame

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank-you so much for taking the time to review us. It means a lot, and we always welcome guests and their pets, as we know that pet friendly accommodation is hard to find especially AAA rated 4 star accommodation. Pets who travel with their owners are often adored like a third child, and we love having them around.
Best Wishes,
#10 of 64 in Perth
Alex Hotel
Alex Hotel
#5 of 64 in Perth

Been to Above Bored Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!