9,281 results
All reviews beau rivage terrace cafe the roasted bean fresh flowers m life coffee shop las vegas southern hospitality get away great trip slot machines ocean view table games new orleans non smoking the hard rock jia
Reviewed July 4, 2007

This was our first trip back to Beau Rivage after Katrina. MGM Mirage put in $800 million in repairs and renovation.

ROOM: Here's a tip for you. If your room is an odd number, you will look out over the water. If it is even, you will have a city view. There are some shrimp and fishing boats going in and out and the water view is preferred. Our room on the 25th floor was very nice...not quite Bellagio or Wynn nice, but very nice. Bathrooms have a soaking tub and a separate shower.

FOOD: We ate at Olives twice, once for a full meal and the second time for appetizers and wine with the "chef view". I highly recommend the latter. The executive sous chef (Lincoln) stopped by and chatted a few times. The appetizers were very tasty; the flatbreads were especially good.
We ate at the Coast twice. I had a juicy bone-in ribeye there and was pleasantly surprised. They don't brew their own beer anymore, but the food was a step or two above standard pub fare. Breakfast once in the Terrace was fine.

SERVICE: Let me start this by saying that all of the employees (with the exception of one valet) were all very nice. A nice gentleman named Will checked us in at the hotel and was very helpful. The casino and restaurant employees were all friendly.
However, the Beau has significant logistical problems with valet parking, checking in, and bell service. This hasn't changed since pre-Katrina. It's hard to understand. MGM Mirage owns other casino hotels that are much bigger (MGM Grand, Bellagio, etc.) and the check in times at the larger properties are measured in minutes. All of the lines to check in at the Beau at 3 pm were 12 parties deep and took over 40 minutes. (One pre-Katrina stay we could not check in before an 8 pm show!)
Valet parking is a nightmare. Waited 10 minutes just to get a ticket. You can't call from your room to start the car retrieval process, you must physically hand the ticket to a valet. Then the wait is a minimum 20 minutes (again, at least twice as long as Bellagio et al).
Bell service was slow but friendly.
It is as if Beau Rivage just needs to hire more employees in valet, bell service, and hotel registration. The staff is overworked but not unfriendly.

CASINO: I mainly play poker and my wife dabbles in video poker. The poker room is a new addition and ran well. They have $4-8 Limit Hold 'Em and No-Limit games come in $1-2 and $2-5 variety. They have tournaments on all days except Tuesday. Dealers were funny (especially Cameron) and made no mistakes while I was there. Nice chairs and reasonably fast drink service.
Video poker payouts are slightly better than Tunica; they offer Jacks or Better at 8/6 for quarter machines, even for progressive royal payouts.
There is a double deck Blackjack game with a $25 minimum bet. The single deck is the atrocious 6:5 payout for blackjacks (huge casino advantage, don't play it!).

The pool is nice and drink service is quick.

There is not much else to do in Biloxi other than be in the casino. The coastal area is slowly re-building. Emphasis on slowly.

Summary: Nice hotel and casino. Top notch food at Olives. Expect significant wait times for check-in, valet, and bell service (especially at peak times). Friendly staff. Ask for the water view, especially if you don't have to pay extra for it.

Stayed: July 2007
9  Thank Relax803749
Reviewed June 24, 2007

When we first booked over the phone back in March with an agent at the resort, I had my first disagreement with them. We were making reservations and had to pay the first night up front for the three rooms we'd be occupying; no problem with that. However, when she asked me to send her a faxed photocopy of BOTH sides of our credit card, we disagreed and they had to clear this through a manager on site. Sorry, but giving someone a photocopy of both sides of your credit card is like handing over the keys to the kingdom. It's NOT a secure practice, so don't do it.

Upon arrival, check-in wait time took an hour due to the many people checking in. There was initial confusion from the clerk that we already had paid our first night there - THAT took more time.

The facility is nice, considering they had to rebuild from Katrina. The rooms were very clean and kept up, but there were no small fridges in the room. We realized that they want to capitalize on our drink business, but buying a bottle of coke from the machine @ $1.25 would've added up, so I called the front desk and told her I needed to keep my wife's medications cool, so they finally brought up a fridge. We drove over to the local "Food Tiger" for cheap drinks and stuck them in the fridge.

Internet access comes at $11.99 PER DAY. So, if you're traveling with a laptop and need access, be prepared.

Access to the gym - $15.00 a day. That's right! Compare that to the cruise lines, who offer up their facilities for free.

The buffet was nice, but at $20 a pop, it might be expensive for some but overall the food was good, and it had crab legs to boot. This was one of the cleanest buffets I had experienced. The food there was fabulous and very tasty, but I noticed that there were a lot of piggy people who were diving in on the crab legs and piling them onto their plates with no consideration for the other guests. Be aware of this if you go to the buffet. I am aware that this can't be helped, but it became clearly obvious to me that the rude guests were those who probably cleared well over six figures in annual salary.

The casino was very nice inside, resplendent with the usual vibrant carpeting, lights, glitz, and a freezing cool atmosphere to keep you wide awake, but this casino didn't seem to be paying out as much as the Vegas resorts do. I'm guessing it's because they need to recoup from Katrina. However, the waitresses were plentiful, and they were taking orders for drinks.

The shops are created for trend setters and big spenders only. We found no bargains but very high prices. If you're into paying over $100 for a shirt, go for it. Or, how about a small ceramic frog that fits in the palm of your hand for $160? No bargains in the stores. Go to Gulfport instead.

One halfway decent shop was the ice cream parlor. The prices weren't too bad and I found the passion fruit sorbet outstanding.

Beware of Thursday evenings! They have something called "Tiki Night" where they play obnoxiously LOUD techno at the pool area. We were on the 12th floor, and all we heard was BUMP BUMP BUMP up until midnight. Since we weren't aware of this when we booked, and are early sleepers, it become very uncomfortable. However, they comped all three rooms for that night, which saved us some money. But also be aware of this - "Tiki Night" is an open invitation to 21 and over - but you have to pay for the drinks. They had a couple of women dancing in cages, swirling lights, and that annoying techno cacophony.

Since the majority of the infrastructure is STILL gone from the surrounding area of Biloxi (restaurants, things to do outside of the resort), Beau Rivage is capitalizing on this, big time. You have to drive at least 12 miles in one direction, well out of your way to find any restaurants or activities. in two weeks, the Hard Rock Cafe opens up, so at least that's one place you can go for dinner without having to drive to Gulfport.

During the process of trying to check out, we encountered a very rude bellhop. When he arrived with the cart, we apparently weren't ready for HIM, so he left with the comment that "since you're not ready I have to give this to someone else" so we waited another 30 minutes for him to show up again. Needless to say, since he continued being brash with us during the loading process, we refused to tip him and felt uncomfortable being around him.

Overall, I give Beau Rivage a two dot rating because of the bad experiences we had there, especially during the booking and checking in phases. We will not be returning to Biloxi because of this.

After this, we're sticking to cruising. I can't believe that the majority of the guests we spoke to down there never knew the advantages of cruising and the savings involved, but we managed to convince some that cruising is a much better deal than going to the Beau Rivage resort in Biloxi MS.

Look for my more detailed review to possibly be printed in one of the upcoming editions of Conde Nast Traveler magazine.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
10  Thank bassizzzt
Reviewed June 16, 2007

The rooms are opulent and larger than your average hotel room. Of the hotels in Biloxi, there are more restaurants, more stores and the hottest club on the Coast -- all within or around the casino, which is on the ground floor of the hotel. Valet? Yes. Helpful guest services? Yes, although they need to study a little bit more about where to do things outside the hotel.

If you can afford it, upgrade to a suite, although you might get a free upgrade anyway. The suites are on floors 26 through 29 (the top floors), and they really are (as advertised) like little apartments (from 900 to 1,200 square feet). I stayed in a Cypress Suite on the 28th floor, and I wouldn't have minded staying there for a while. Two complaints: The TV needs to be an HDTV with more channels, and where's the stocked wet bar? But you have 2 1/2 bathrooms, and it's big enough to entertain several guests. Room service has a great menu, and the food prices are reasonable (the liquor and wine menu is very overpriced, so bring your own or drink in the casino, where as long as you're playing -- or your companion is playing -- you drink for free, as long as you tip the waitress).

The next time I'm in Biloxi, I'll be at the Beau Rivage.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2007

This was my first trip to the Beau so I don't know what it looked like before the storm but now I can tell you it's extremely nice.

Pros:
- Very large rooms with pillow top mattresses
- Excellent food - Memphis Q had some of the best ribs I've ever had and I've had a lot.
- Very helpful and friendly staff

Cons:
- The dealers and Pit bosses were very obnoxious. I'm not a heavy gambler but even the $1000 bet guys got the same treatment.
- No coffee machine in the room. That's just a personal pet peeve for me.
- Casino was very smokey.

All in all I will definitley be back. I hoping that the dealers were just having a bad week.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank ajpeppers
Reviewed June 9, 2007

We have stayed at the Beau Rivage 3 times in the past 2 years. Every time we stay at the Beau it has been perfect. The rooms are large and comfortable. The mattresses are Serta Presidential Pillow Top and so nice. The rooms are quiet and control the temperature yourself. The bathrooms are large with a super size tub and large shower. Housekeeping leaves shampoo, conditioner and lotion and soaps, clean towels in your bathroom daily. The tub is great for a relaxing bubble bath. There is also a turn down service with chocolates if you wish. Movies are offered in room for a fee and the internet access is broadband at a per day charge. Be sure to bring your computer cable to plug in. The staff has always been very nice and accomodating. Southern hospitality!
We always get our room and meals compensated. Pretty good for $300 a night rooms and very pricey buffet and restaurants. They aways get comped. Be sure to see the casino host to get a players card and don't play any slots or tables without using it. You get points for playing and can get your room and meals comped. Before we left, we used our $200 in free play on our players card and made $130.
If you want to use the spa or gym, you can charge it to your room, but it doesn't get comped. The large pool overlooks the gulf and is very nice. If you order room service, don't tip, they charge the tip to your room. I gave the girl $5 tip for room service and she still charged us $6.99 tip on our bill. Tips do not get comped so she got a $11.99 tip!
We got 2 tickets to Imaginaya but couldn't go since I got stomach cramps and the runs from eating at Memphis Q for dinner. We ate at Olive's one night, not worth it. The menu is limited and the entrees are too fancy. Very expensive even though it was comped. We had reservations and they seated us in the bar right next to other people, very close, no privacy. The breakfast buffet is very nice, Saturday and Sunday is more expensive with Crab Legs and other choices. The omelet line is always too longand only one station for eggs and omelets.
Biloxi has rebuilt all it's casino's and restaurants. Most restaurants that were damaged by Karina have reopened at D'iberville exit and there are even more and a nice cinema if you want to see a movie. Lots of shopping and restaurants and Casinos' in Biloxi. Great place to vacation. The beaches are open and very nice white sand.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple