“Great Local Feel and Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ole Biloxi Schooner - CLOSED

Ole Biloxi Schooner
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great Local Feel and Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

Great place for Gumbo and Poboys. Very casual. Don't go between 10 and 11:30, may have limited menu since they may not have fryers heated. Great Shrimp, oyster poboys. Also I think they have some of the best Gumbo around. Their original restaurant was destroyed by Katrina but this one is a little larger. Parking is difficult at times.

Chattanooga TN
“Wonderful- Great to have you back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

I first ate at the "Schooner" right before Katrina hit. We loved it then and still do. We found the new location on the internet before our vist two weeks ago. Great food, great people. This is where the locals eat. They have the best crawfish poboy I've ever eaten! Yum!

Gulfport, MS
“Not good at all!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2009

This used to be a great place to eat but not anymore! Service was slow and girl was very rude. My food was cold and when i complained the OWNER told me to eat somewhere else. So i pass this on to you go to Wendy's and get better food because schooner's is worse than fast food!! Over rated and over priced!!

Prospect
“Best Oyster Po'boy on the coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2008

We have gone to Schooners many times and LOVE their dressed and pressed Oyster Po'boys, Huge sandwich jam packed with oysters. YUMM Runs just under $10/per. Good value.

Texas
“Expensive, Small Portions, Mediocre Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

Years ago, we ate at an incredible seafood restaurant in Biloxi along the coast. They had generous portions of large, fresh shrimp, excellently breaded at a reasonable price. Every time we go through Biloxi, I try to find it again. THE OLE BILOXI SCHOONER WAS NOT THAT PLACE.

First, I'd like to report that the address has changed. They are now located at 871 Howard.

Second, I'd like to suggest that TripAdvisor research these reviews to see if management or employees might be posting some of them. Three of the 5-star reviews are from people with no other reviews. The single review on Yelp (which is what led me to this restaurant) is mostly owner-speak, so they appear to have a history of doing this.

Anyway, on to the review...

The restaurant was hard to find, with no prominent signs. If you pass it going east on Howard, the street turns into a one-way and it's tricky getting back. So if you're going, make sure to watch for it really close and look for the street number (871) rather than the name. It's located across the street from a big church. The only parking is parallel parking along the street.

The service was pleasant and quick. No complaints in that area.

The portions were ridiculously small, the prices were high, and the quality of the food was average at best. My wife ordered a salad ($10). I ordered a shrimp basket ($10) and a shrimp cocktail ($1 - the only good deal). We ordered a fish & chips for the kids (5 and 2) to split. We also got a couple Diet Barqs ($2 each, which are served in cans now, not bottles or from a fountain) and a milk for our son. The total bill was around $40.

The salad was small and extremely plain, with packaged lettuce, a small piece of chicken, and salad dressing. For $10 (the most I think we've ever paid for a salad), we expected more. It's more comparable to a side salad that you get at most places for $2 - $5. For less than $10, you can get some pretty incredible salads at other restaurants.

The shrimp basket was an okay price ($10), although you feel like you're getting ripped when a "shrimp platter" is $20 but is listed on their specials as being $6.99 on Saturdays. The shrimp was fresh (firm and no fishy smell), but the portion size was small and the shrimp size varied considerably. A couple might have been 30 count size, but most were probably 50-80 count size. The fries were disgusting, just plain bagged fries that weren't even cooked all the way through.

The kid's fish and chips was embarrassingly small. It had two very small pieces of fish in it (about 3-4 kid bites each).

The only true value was the $0.99 shrimp cocktail (which I think was a special on Monday through Thursday). It was probably a little more than 1/8 cup of mini shrimp (slightly smaller than the ones in the shrimp basket) in a cup with lettuce and cocktail sauce. I should have just got a few of those.

When we went to pay, we were surprised to find that they didn't accept credit cards. Who doesn't accept credit cards today?

We all left hungry, which was a tremendous waste of $40. We had to go elsewhere afterward to get filled up.

If you eat the daily specials (and the shrimp cocktail special), you can get a fair deal on mediocre food here. I wouldn't recommend the salad, the fries, or the kids meals.

2 Thank MichaelTX