“Stopped here for the view” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of McElroy's Harbor House Seafood Restaurant

McElroy's Harbor House Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 230 Restaurants in Biloxi
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: They just reopened their Biloxi location after being destroyed 6 1/2 years ago by Hurricane Katrina. The location is just east of the Hard Rock Casino in Biloxi, MS on Highway 90. This place gets 5 stars!!!!!!
Olathe, Kansas
“Stopped here for the view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had stayed the night in Ocean Springs and searched for a breakfast/brunch location. Almost everything was closed or had a massively long wait. We decided to drive into Biloxi to see what we could find. I spotted McElroy's on the shore and noticed people eating outside. We quickly looked up ratings (which were average) but with stomachs rumbling and trying to find a place to eat for the last 45 minutes, we said what the heck.

We were lucky that a table on the balcony had just opened up. It offered us a pleasant ocean breeze as well as a lovely view of a marina and small key. My two friends were craving breakfast but as it was just past 11am, they were informed breakfast was no longer being served. One friend was able to have an egg added to her sandwich effectively making it more brunch-like. It was nice that the restaurant was somewhat accommodating. I ordered the Shrimp & Grits. When it arrived, it was nothing like I envisioned nor like what I have had before. There was a creamy grit cake (which was in the menu description) that was undeniably yummy. It was smothered by an equally tasteful sauce but it was a tad broken. Both of these were great. What shocked me and, frankly disgusted me a little, was that it was inundated with tiny canned salad shrimp! What the?!?! You're a seafood restaurant sitting right on the Gulf known for it's shrimp and you're serving me canned salad shrimp? I was awfully tempted to say something or return it but I was so hungry and the other two components were perfectly good so I didn't. Instead I pushed most of the shrimp to the side into one huge, wasteful heap. I will say I felt completely ripped off price-wise, too. I pay the same amount for shrimp & grits in Kansas City and actually get beautiful, large, fresh shrimp with my entree. Ridiculous.

Other notes: Service was excellent as far as frequent visits to our table, timely refills, fulfilling requests, etc. but she wasn't the friendliest. We felt like we were on island time as we waited awhile for our food to arrive. My friends were content with their meals but certainly agreed it wasn't anything to write home about. If I'm in the area again, I won't be returning unless it's for the grits alone, and maybe the view.

Abilene, Kansas
“Good view and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

We got to Biloxi and needed a place to lunch - we thought this looked like a cool spot so we stopped. We sat outside on the balcony and looked out at the water, which was great.

Our food was good and BEWARE - the servings are HUGE! We had crab po' boys and gumbo and it was all very good. We tried the Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale and it was very cold and very good.

Prices were reasonable and service was good. Glad we stopped!

New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“GRILLED SHRIMP SALAD”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Well.........I don't like to write bad reviews but I feel this dining experience needs to be told. My husband and I use to patronage Mc Elroy's in Biloxi quite frequently prior to Katrina. After Katrina hit it took quite a while for them to rebuild and open again. We were so excited when they re- opened and drove out to have lunch. (we live in St. Rose, Louisiana) so it's a bit of a drive. We ordered our food and my surprise they have decided to go cheap on the Blue Cheese dressing they serve now. I was told by one of the waitress's that they use that Kraft Blue Cheese which has a vinigary taste to it. Not good at all. I use to love their blue cheese dressing before.

The seafood we ordered did not taste fresh at all and their prices have sky rocketed. So we were not pleased at all with our first visit back. Well, 2 days ago we came to Biloxi for a 2 night stay at the Grand Casino and decided to give Mc Elroy's a second chance. My husband and I both ordered the grilled shrimp salad.

To our surprise we paid $12.95 for a plate full of GARNISH. Yes, the salad was very impressive to look at, but Good Lord, we would have liked enough salad to eat for that kind of price. The grilled shrimp were good, Yes........but there was very very little salad to actually eat.......lots of croutons, some shredded cheese and lots of wilted green leaf lettuce piled underneath the small portion of salad to actually eat. It was ridiculous. We ordered a salad to eat, not a plate full of garnish.

SOOOOOOOOOO.................needless to say, we won't be back. Oh let me add that we asked to speak to the manager, we were not trying to get out of paying for our meal, but we felt that it should be brought to the managements attention, since we the consumer are what keep them in business. Well, the manager Cindy, didn't really give a rip as to what we were saying. She kept on saying that, that was the way they made their salads and the garnish was green leaf. SO WHAT.......................where was the $12.95 portion to eat? The shrimp were good, but we didn't eat $12.95 worth of shrimp. I'm sorry to say, this restaurant went down hill after reopening from Katrina. We will NOT BE BACK!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gloria H
smokiemountainlover
“Great Food and View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Found out about this place from a gentleman walking the lighthouse pier. We went there for breakfast and it was fantastic !! Not only was the food delicious, but the service was outstanding. We had a waitress named Denise and she was very attentive. We ate there again for dinner and sat outside looking at the Gulf. Never have been served that much food for such a low price. If you go there, go for breakfast and order their hot cakes, but make sure you are hungry !!

1 Thank smokiemountainlover
“Breakfast with a great view ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

We ate breakfast there 3 days out of 5 !
Day one was because convenient and nice walk from the Beau Rivage . Our server, Rhonda, was fantastic! Nice to talk with and gave great service. We started with the beignets and they were great ! My fiancé and I both had the shrimp omelet, homefries and homemade biscuits with lots of butter! Yum !!!!
Prices were fair. service was good and view from inside or on deck was great
My fiancé ordered same omelet on day 2 because he liked it so much. I tried the shrimp and grits but didn't care for it ( but the beignets did damage my appetite!!!)
Day 3 we both had traditional eggs. Bacon and home fries ( and passed on the beignets! They are wonderful but after a week of vacation our waistlines begged us to stop !)