“Eat A Meal Away From a Casino in Biloxi, MS”

Half Shell Oyster House
Ranked #1 of 247 Restaurants in Biloxi
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This resturant is in a converted bank. The atmosphere inside is tuned to New Orleans French Quarter style. It is two floors. We has oysters on the half shell to start and they were fresh and delicious. My wife ordered the Fried Oyster dinner with Cajun Boiled Parmesan & Garlic Fried New Potatoes with a Crab Bisque. I had Broiled Red Fish wiyhSteamed Broccoli with Cheddar Chesse and the Garden Salad. Both had Ice Tea. The service was great! We arrived about 4:30 PM and left about 6:30 PM. On our way out their were about 10+ couples waiting for tables.The cost was about $65.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,113)

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

The food and atmosphere was date night material without spending as much as many other equal quality restaurants. Service was good too.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Spouse considers this one of the best we've visited, and I can't disagree. Spouse raves about the "royal reds" shrimp, and I've had the fried shrimp po-boy and the stuffed flounder, both of which were top-notch. Bread on the po-boy was excellent and soft, unlike restaurants which use "hard" bread, and the quantity and quality of the shrimp was superb. Service was excellent. Come during happy hour for $2.50/glass house wine, which was also excellent. The quantity of the wine should be more, but that is my only complaint [don't use "large" wine glasses if you only put wine in 1/3 of it!].
I judge any shrimp po-boy on whether it compares to that served at Harbor View Café in Long Beach, which is the best I've ever had, and I have to say that Half Shell's compares very favorably -- quantity not as much, but quality was very close indeed.
Have also had their shrimp and grits, which is not my favorite dish, but was still very good. Cheese grits w/ the po-boy were excellent, as were the sweet potatoes spouse had.
They also have a location in Hattiesburg, and we've dined there, but consider this one to be the best by far.
They also have a bar area, which you may need if you don't get there early...
Great location, downtown Biloxi, very close to various casinos, though you'll get more for your money here!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

my hubby and I go away every year for a getaway from work, worries and responsibilities, and devote all our time to enjoying each other. The last two years have on the day we check into our hotels, it has fallen on the BCS football championships. We were wanting to get out and check out the local restaurants in the area for a nice enjoyable dinner experience. This is the place! was so surprised how it had atmosphere of a romantic dinner and yet around the corner, was a huge football playoff game going on. the food was so good, that we went a gain the next night! You can see a menu online to make sure it's your kind of food, but for someone who has grown up on the gulf coast and lived in resort area such as Orange beach , al. and Gulf shores, you can't beat the food, and yes you'll remember this place. enjoy,

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We were seated immediately upon arrival and looking forward to gulf coast seafood. I had the oyster sampler and ate ALL twelve with some of my husband's crab cake, which was paired with an awesome remoulade. He had the shrimp and grits, which was good and I had the flounder. It was slightly overcooked but still well seasoned. My sides were the cheese grits, which were creamy and delicious. I also had the sweet potato creme brûlée, which was pure buttery crunchy goodness. The server seemed to be doubling as the bar tender but she was efficient and friendly. The only hiccup was that we were brought crab fingers twice instead of the crab cake appetizer. Not a big issue since we were also brought out two orders of crab cakes. Not a bad trade-off! Overall, it was really good and the prices were reasonable. I would DEFINITELY return and order the oyster platter and hopefully have the same server.