“Best Crab Cakes” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Half Shell Oyster House

Half Shell Oyster House
Ranked #2 of 220 Restaurants in Biloxi
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Best Crab Cakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised with the delicious crab cakes. No fillers. Simply packed with crab. Mmmmm. It will be a year before we are back in the area and I will head straight here. Very good

Birmingham, Alabama
“Great Fresh Seafood at a resonable Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I took a Business group to Half Shell Oyster House in Biloxi for Dinner. As you would expect, the group had a variety of appetizers, entrées, and deserts and all were very happy with their selections. The group 2 days later were still talking about how good the food was at Half Shell Oyster House. I concurred and will definitely plan to go back.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Billy E
Hattiesburg, MS
“One of Biloxi's Best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My initial visit to Half Shell was quite enjoyable. I entered expecting a good experience, and I came away with a smile on my face and the intention to make a return visit as soon as possible.

As I commonly do on initial restaurant visits, I selected a few “key” menu items to get a good sample of just how various dishes would compare to my personal standards. My initial grading gives the Half Shell a grade in the A-minus B-plus range for the food, service, ambiance, and value.

I started with a dozen raw oysters and a cold beer. Good oysters and good presentation. Next, I had the seafood gumbo, and it was incredible. Definitely in the running for nomination as one of the best gumbos in Mississippi/Louisiana area. I like my gumbo to have a dark brown roux; Half Shell had that roux and that unique flavor associated with truly great gumbo. Finally, as my entrée, I had the oyster Po-Boy.

The po-boy was good, but not as good as I had expected. I’d say it is a reasonably good po-boy, but that it does not compete with some of the truly great ones in the Mississippi Gulf Coast area. (I’ve eaten better oyster po-boys in at least four other Coast establishments). The greatest shortcoming was the bread, not the oysters. The bread was not the typical French-type bread found in the area, but it was more like the taste and consistency of a hot dog bun. Not what I was expecting. I do not particularly recommend the sandwich, but one can do a lot worse. Next time I’ll try something else.

The atmosphere is appealing. I ate in the bar—not the main dining area—of an interesting re-cycled building (not sure of the history). Service was friendly, prompt and efficient. Price range is moderately expensive.

As a tip to prospective diners, the parking lot (south of the restaurant and directly off Lameuse) is oddly arranged. Best bet is to enter from Water Street at rear of restaurant or to simply park in the adjacent Water St. auxiliary parking area. Visitors staying at Hard Rock have an easy walk to the restaurant; Beau Rivage guests are in for a somewhat longer walk.

Bottom line: I recommend the Half Shell to visitors. I think you’ll find it worthwhile.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank ColonelDoctorDennis
Thomasville, Georgia
“Some of the food is great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Me & my husband went to biloxi for a short honeymoon & I had read a lot of the reviews from here so I wanted to try it. We started off with the oyster sampler, which was good but not like everybody raved about. & they were expensive so we wouldn't ever order them again. For our meals he got the tuna sandwich & gumbo. The gumbo was not good, kinda tasted like canned. But the tuna sandwich was the best! The grilled tuna steak had lots of flavor & made the sandwich. & wasn't badly priced either. I had the voodoo shrimp poboy, which the voodoo shrimp was one of the other things raved about on here & now I know why. The sauce is sooo good. I had a side of some kind of potatoes that were really good too. This also wasn't badly priced.

1 Thank DanielleBrent
Canton, Mississippi
“Seafood delite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The food here is excellent my companion and I cleaned are plates and will be going back for more. The space is large and a bit noisy but the food overcomes that. Try the crab cakes or the flounder or the fried shrimp as good as any on the coast. The area is quite at night but do not be deterred go there for wonderful sea food

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Been to Half Shell Oyster House? Share your experiences!