“This place deserves all favorable ratings.”

Half Shell Oyster House
Ranked #1 of 247 Restaurants in Biloxi
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

After a 3,900 mile trip around the southwest USA, we made our last meal at Half Shell before getting back to Florida. We were favorably impressed with the food quality and service but were also amazed at the prices. They were very low given the location and food quality. We had an assortment of fish and seafood dishes and found all prepared with care and very fresh. We live in the Destin area and eat seafood as our mainstay but found this place as good if not better than most places in Destin and by far, much cheaper. The menu is varied and will encompass most of the dishes you can imagine. It is definitely a "go back" place for the six in our party.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,177)

Reviewed October 13, 2013

After recently visiting the one in Hattiesburg and receiving great service, we decided to eat here one evening on a visit to see my son. Upon arrival, they were not busy but took hostess about 10 minutes to seat us and even longer for our first contact with a server for drinks (15 min). Finally got our drinks and appetizer and service seemed to be ok after we were first waited on. While we were waiting on our food, I made a visit to the restroom which really turned me off to the rest of the evening as I walked through the waitstaff waiting area for food on the way to the restroom. This area was greasy and really dirty to be honest and it did not get any better in the restroom. I was standing in a puddle of brown water the entire time and it looked like no one had cleaned the restroom all weekend, trash can full, dirty brown water over entire floor, etc. Anyway, we received our food which was subpar to the other one in Hattiesburg to say the least. My wife even noticed a huge difference in the spice and general taste. Overall, I would recommend another place if I was in Biloxi but would recommend the one in Hattiesburg.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

From both a service and food quality/quantity perspective, it was a mixed result. We were in from out of town to attend a concert. I called ahead and, while they don't take reservations, they made a note of our name and arrival time and were very accommodating.
We arrived at 6:00 PM on a Friday and they were already starting to get busy. However, the service we received was very disappointing. While we know that busy restaurants want to "turn tables" as quickly as possible, we were really rushed out of there. We were never informed of the dinner specials. We were told the fish of the day but not the special entrees. Our entrees arrived less than 5 minutes after we got our salad/soup.
The soup ($2 extra) was a small cup of mediocre gumbo, nothing memorable. Same for the fried shrimp and parm/garlic potatoes: Okay but nothing memorable. My spouse had the seafood potpie, which was interesting and tasty. Her accompanying cheese grits were, again, not bad but not great.
For the price and given the reviews I'd read, I was disappointed. Being from Baton Rouge, I'm accustomed to the best seafood in the world, and this was not that.

1  Thank Harlem_CAAC
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Went to a late lunch one afternoon and we were both completely satisfied with our meals. Price was fair and servings were large enough. Would highly recommend this to anyone visiting Biloxi area!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Enjoyed fresh Gulf seafood in a fun atmosphere. The service was great and the food was cooked to perfection. Great local restaurant!

Been to Half Shell Oyster House? Share your experiences!