“Excellant restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Half Shell Oyster House

Half Shell Oyster House
Ranked #2 of 219 Restaurants in Biloxi
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellant restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We ate at the bar upstairs & had a great time.
Oysters were excellant & I had Pecan Crusted Grouper which was very tasty.
Service was very & we had a lot of fun with the bartender.

1 Thank Bob T

Biloxi, Mississippi
“One of the top local dining establishments”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I've eaten here twice, and my wife and her extended family more times than that, and in every case the food and service have been top notch. Everything is well prepared and presented, and many dishes have a local and creative flair to them. On Friday and Saturday evenings you can expect a wait for a table if you're not there before 5:30PM or so; in a market where restaurants that aren't cutting it do indeed go out of business, this is your surest sign that the Half Shell is doing it right.

Today I took my wife here for a birthday Sunday brunch; we had the Fried Green Tomatoes and Crab Cakes appetizer, Gumbo, and for entrees we had Seafood Pasta and brunch Eggs Benedict. 5 stars says it all.

Florida
“A mixed bag. Not a "couples place".”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Half Shell Oyster House is a mixed bag for me. We drive between Texas and Florida five times a year and love to try new places. When our favorite restaurant in Mobile could not offer us a Friday night reservation, I called HSOH. A wonderful hostess offered us call ahead priority and had no problem with my call ahead by seven hours. There was a large crowd waiting when we arrived 15 minutes ahead of our time chosen and we were seated about 25 minutes later. We were greeted by our waiter Ryan who was wonderful. I told him that I did not want an entire fried oyster platter so he offered a lunch menu portion, which was a perfect size. I ordered the oysters Bienville from the appetizer menu and my wife ordered the Fried green tomatoes and crab cake appetizer.

My oysters Bienville was fully cooked as I wanted (I had a similar item in the Keys that was raw on the bottom and cooked on top--yuck). My wife loved her appetizer but I thought her sauce was too mustardy. I agree however that the tomatoes were not sour like at other places. The fried oysters had a heavier batter than I would have liked (a lot like Couplands of New Orleans). The fried okra was and likely the cheese grits were not freshly made. The turnip greens had no surprises which I liked. (Some places mess around by cooking them with sugar or white wine.).

The venue was crowded and loud so I would not call it a couples place. The interior is quirky at best and the chairs and tables diner-like. There are no views and parking is a bit of a challenge. In all good but not great food, some but not a lot of imagination, at prices that were about right. There are much better restaurants in the area but I cannot say there is a better restaurant in Biloxi.

Memphis, Tennessee, United States
“Best meal we've had in Biloxi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had lunch here on our last day on the coast. Great food and excellent service! He had a dozen oysters on the half shell, and said they were some of the best he's ever had. We both had salads and the fresh catch of the day--grilled cobia. For a couple of dollars extra we had it topped with what they called a fried artichoke hearts salad. It was delicious! Laura was our server and was both friendly and efficient. With 2 glasses of wine for me and 2 beers for him, our bill came to $66, which seemed a little pricey--until we remembered that the dinner buffet at our casino the night before was almost $50--and almost inedible--we decided it was a very fair price for an incredible meal! We highly recommend the Half Shell and will definitely go back.

Washington
“Good Oysters with large variety”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This restaurant has a large variety of oysters prepared in many different ways. The serving portions are big but my oyster dinner was deep fried and I hoped for sauteed. The turnip greens were bitter, but the grits and cheese was great. The oyster appetizer was great though. I suggest the oyster variety appetizer!

Visited October 2012

Been to Half Shell Oyster House? Share your experiences!