“Great food and really nice location.”
Review of Trapani's Eatery

Trapani's Eatery
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
St. Louis
“Great food and really nice location.”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Some locals recommended this restaurant. I had the grilled shrimp on a salad and my husband had a po boy. Both were very good.

• Visited June 2013

Pass Christian, Mississippi
“Overpriced”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Food was decent, views are awesome, but not really worth what you pay for. Considering that the other close places are much cheaper. Waiter had a attitude with us and the other tables.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank GCTiger
Atlanta Ga.
“I think Tony's finally got the kinks out.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have been comming to Trapani's for years when I am in the area. I deeply crave their oyster po boy sandwich when in season. I still remember the old location before Katrina with the worn floors, simple tables, aging stuffed fish, and Bret Farve's signed jersey on the walls. Over 50 years and still standing the menu touted......until Katrina....the place was totaled and I was devistated. No more poboys or anything else for that matter. Now their back I was a little distressed reading some of the mixed reviews, but when I visited on Memorial weekend I wasn't disappointed. The fried green tomato appetizer was superb and the crab cakes were to die for. The server was very attentive and knowledgeable. Way to go Tony can't wait till my next visit.

• Visited May 2013
New Orleans Area
“Mediocrity is Doing What Katrina Couldn't”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Trapani's was on the Bay long before Hurricane Katrina, a favorite haunt of locals and tourists alike. The food was exquisitely prepared and the atmosphere was festive with a great view. But that all changed when Katrina wiped Bay St. Louis off the map in 2005. Fortunately, the Mississippi Coast is resilient. The 'Eatery' came back in a temporary location in a shopping center on Hwy 90 about a year or so later (where I enjoyed one of the best meals I've ever had anywhere), and soon after the beach road was restored, a sign promising a beachfront return also appeared, much to the delight of its patrons.

We've been back to the new beachfront location twice since the grand reopening, now back in it's original location. The place is 2 stories with outdoor seating on both levels, The first thing you notice, however, is that the upstairs menu is abbreviated to include mainly appetizers, so if you want to have a nice meal with a great view that is simply not a choice. However, since there is also outdoor seating on the full-service ground floor, that would not be the end of the world -- just a missed opportunity. But that's where the problems really begin...

The first time we went back it took forever to get our food. It turned out that apparently the cook was a no-show that evening, and one of the owners had to roll up her sleeves and take over. She later came over after I had complained that our server seemed clueless about how to handle unhappy customers. She eventually comp'd the entire meal, so I was willing to forgive and forget. (NOTE: My dissatisfaction was NOT about the lapse in service but rather the lack of any appropriate response by the wait staff. I finally wound up going to find the manager myself!)

We went back again yesterday, but again we were disappointed. My cup of soup d'jour -- a crawfish bisque -- had exactly 3 small crawfish in it, and my wife's "seafood gumbo" had ONE small shrimp, LOTS of okra and no other seafood at all. When I order seafood gumbo, I expect it to actually contain seafood!)

When the server returned to ask how it was, and I told him it was disappointing for the reasons above, his response was to grunt something inaudible and walk off. Any restaurant charging $20-25 for practically any entree (our 9" PoBoy sandwich was $13) should have instructed the wait staff to report any negative comments to a manager immediately -- but apparently not here. Not only was there no response from management, but there was no gesture at all from anyone to make amends.

It would have cost nothing to make an apology for the mediocre soups and next to nothing to make an adjustment to the check, offer a free dessert or some other gesture to show concern. The problem seems to be that this place is now run by young people without any training in customer satisfaction whatsoever. It's always sad when a place with great food and a (previously) great reputation starts sliding like this, and no one seems to notice or care. And if the owners don't wake up and smell the coffee soon, surviving another hurricane is going to be the least of their problems!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank oncfari
Oxford, Mississippi
“Delicious!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is Mississippi seafood at its best. We had the fried green tomatoes topped with crab meat and hollandaise sauce for an appetizer, then flounder stuffed with crab dressing and panneed trout topped with a shrimp and crabmeat sauce for our entrees. Everything was soooo good. The house drink is called the Calypso Martini, which is basically pineapple marinated in vodka, then poured in a martini glass. Delicious!

They have a bar upstairs called the Blue Marlin, which was really cool. There's plenty of indoor seating, and a balcony with a tv and fireplace overlooking the beach. They serve food, too, although not the exact same menu as downstairs, think gastro pub fare.

Highly recommended!