This was our 1st time back to the Coast since Katrina and we weren't sure what to expect but the Hollywood Casino (formerly Casino Magic) is working hard to get the area back to it's former stature. Check in was prompt and the room was clean with a nice view of the Jordan river (and what was left of the old casino, which is an indication of the devastation that occurred). The staff was very helpful and friendly and really wanted us to know that they appreciated us coming to their area, not just their hotel. It seemed that the owners were in a wait and see approach as to how much capital to spend on the property to attract gamblers and guests. The actual casino seemed smaller than what was there before the storm but the variety of games was great. The advantage of the smaller casino was that there were always open tables and machines open for play. The restaurants were very reasonably priced and the staff at these were also great, particularly Terry, the bartender at Tuscany. The fried green tomatoes and Creme Brulee were big hits as we sat at the bar.
Another highlight was the performance put on by Pete Fountain, a resident of the area, and his band in the auditorium. It was wonderful to hear traditional New Orleans music in an intimate venue. We are well under 50 and would highly recommend that anyone that loves music be sure not to miss this opportunity to hear a legend. We also had the privilege of shaking his hand after his show.
We also enjoyed the Shaker's martini bar located off the lobby. Mark, the bartender, not only mixed delicious martinis such as the "Scarlett O'Hara" and the "Frank Sinatra", but also gave us great tips on restaurants off the property. A trip to the beaches, shops, restaurants and art galleries of Bay St. Louis is a must. The town continues to work to get back on its feet after Katrina, and deserves your patronage when in the area. We enjoyed ourselves tremendously during our day and evening trips to their town.
The golf course that is part of the property was a solid trek that had no major flaws, just lots of water (this is the coast after all) and the rates were reasonable with a discount for hotel guests.
Two minor complaints-the pillows on the bed were too small, and the cabana bar at the pool was never open during the week.
We highly recommend this hotel for its service and location but also because it will help a region badly in need of revenue. Well worth the trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a stay at Hollywood Casino Gulf Coast in Bay St Louis, you'll be convenient to 100 Men D.B.A. Hall and Bay St. Louis Little Theater. This casino hotel is within close proximity of Historic L and N Train Depot and Saint Stanislaus College. Make yourself at home in one of the 291 air-conditioned guestrooms. Cable television is provided for your entertainment. Bathrooms have complimentary toiletries and hair dryers. Conveniences include desks and coffee/tea makers, and housekeeping is provided daily. While the golfer in the family is out on the course, try one of the other recreational amenities offered, such as a casino, lazy river and outdoor pool. Additional features include complimentary wireless Internet access and gift shops/newsstands. Satisfy your appetite at the hotel's restaurants,serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, or grab a snack at a coffee shop/cafe. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge. Featured amenities include complimentary high-speed (wired) Internet access, express check-out, and dry cleaning/laundry services. Event facilities at this hotel consist of conference space and meeting rooms. Free valet parking is available onsite ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Hollywood Casino & Hotel Gulf Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hollywood Casino Bay St. Louis Hotel Bay Saint Louis
- Hollywood Hotel Bay St Louis