“A few problems, but fine overall”

Hollywood Casino & Hotel Gulf Coast
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bay Saint Louis
Reviewed October 20, 2007

First the problems:
1) The elevators were often out of service--sometimes all three of them--requiring guests to walk up as many as 11 flights of stairs, sometimes carrying luggage. The management managed to restore one of the elevators quickly, but it's not unlikely that the problem could recur--apparently due to a lack of parts.
2) There are relatively few non-smoking rooms--perhaps based on the assumption that most users of the casino are smokers. I had reserved a non-smoking room, but was told that none were available when I arrived. However, the management very quickly gave the room an ozone cleaning, which did help considerably.
3) The walls are thin. I could hear everything going on in the room next door.

Otherwise, I enjoyed my stay. There are gorgeous views of the area from the upper floors. The epic buffet is quite splendid, and it's half price on Wednesdays for anyone over 50. The staff was always courteous.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Folklorist

Reviewed October 5, 2007

Started at check in: Very unfriendly desk person. Room nice but "cheap". Casino had poor service, poor selection of slot machines. Too cold most of the time.

Worst of all we were woken up with the sounds of jackhammers a floor below us at 6:30 AM, that's right in the morning.

No one told us there would be construction.

The front desk manager was extremely rude, and refused to summon a higher manager to hear our complaint.

Three weeks after we got home, we get a bill for a broken chair that was broken but not by us.

HORRIBLE, stay away.

Try the Grand, Hard Rock, or Beau Rivage, stayed in all of them and they are great.

We love the Mississippi Gulf Coast and go 4 to 6 times a year.

We use to love the old Casino Magic people and are so sad they were bought out.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank wsan3032
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We stayed at this casino hotel on Sunday night and Monday night. We are not casino aficionados but a room at this hotel was a great value. The check-in was friendly, fast and efficient. There is no pressure to use the valet parking, it is made available, but the self-park is free and easy. We did not use the pool or hot tub, but they looked nice enough.

The room was one of the cleanest and nicest rooms we have had in the southeastern U.S. The internet connection was free and worked well (bring a cable it was not wireless).

We had dinner at the Tuscany restaurant – the service was very good as was the food, however the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail was less than fresh; unusual considering the location is on the gulf coast. Other than that, the only way the facility could be better is if it were smoke-free and that is obviously not going to happen!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank dave62
Reviewed May 29, 2007

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hollywood Casino. The rooms are clean and spacious. The staff is very friendly, and the buffet is the best buffet along the coast. There is an endless choice of seafood and desserts as well as other dishes from which to choose. It has definitely become our favorite casino.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Dubroc
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Hotel is beautifully managed, buffet was exceptional, staff were courteous. We absolutely loved it!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank brettsrn03
Reviewed July 29, 2005

My husband had a conference to attend that was being held at the Casino Magic Hotel in Bay St. Louis, MS so I went with him in order to have some R&R time of my own! We had a great time! Now we are not "casino" people. We put about $20 in the 5 and 25 cent slots just to say we did, but that was it for us! So I can't talk about comps or if the machines pay off or the whatnot.

But what I can talk about is the hotel! It was great. It was the first hotel that my husband and I have stayed at where we didn't wake up w/ stiff backs! The beds were comfortable as were the pillows. Great, new towels. The air conditioning worked great, which is a must in the south in July! The amenities were great such as the shampoos and they even gave you two bottles of water in the morning. The rooms were very clean, which is a must for us and determines whether we will stay at a place or not. We were on the 10th floor on the bay side in the Bay Towers. Make sure that you ask for a bayside room. Others at the conference didn't do this and they were on the other side that faced the pool and the parking lot and looked across to the other hotel. They didn't really mind, but since I was staying in the room during the day while my husband was at the conference, I wanted a view! My husband picked me up a moccachino every morning from the Java restaurant and it was great. We tried the buffet for lunch one day, but it wasn't so great. The salad choices were limited and to us the food was just kind of bland and cold. However keep in mind that we are not buffet people so other people might be very happy with it. There are other restaurants on the premises, but we didn't try them. One we would have liked to, the Jordan River Grill, but it was closed on Wed and Thurs. which we though was rather odd. However we went to Old Town for supper one night at Dock of the Bay and it was wonderful. And the next evening we drove a short, pretty drive to Biloxi and went to the Olive Garden, my favorite. All of the staff was great.

One thing we wondered was why they didn't take advantage of their beautiful location and make some sitting areas near the water. But I guess most people are there to gamble and not to just sit and appreciate being near the water, unlike us. To us who are nonsmokers and actually are allergic to smoke, it really wasn't too bad and the room didn't smell like smoke at all. The casino is well away from the hotel w/ a lobby in between and I think that helps. My husband said that the conference facilities were very nice and spacious as well. Anyway it was a great stay and Bay St. Louis is great and we will definitely come back to the conference next year.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank greeneyesat30
Reviewed June 20, 2005

My Husband and I had the unfortunate pleasure of staying here while attending a friend's wedding. As I understand it there are two parts to this hotel,The Inn and The Towers. We stayed at the Inn and I don't know about the towers, but the Inn was the grossest experience ever. The rooms have no dehumidifiers so in the middle of summer in the deep south on the Gulf of Mexico, you feel like you are sleeping in a swamp. The rugs were damp, the sheets were damp, the whole room was, needless to say, damp. On top of which the sheets, towels, and rugs could all use a good bleaching, washing, or better yet, a nice trip to the trash. The walls are paper thin so that you are able to hear all the goings on in the hall or next room. We did take a trip to the casino, but it had all the feeling of a big grown up arcade. They used smoke and mirrors to make it look bigger which was rather dissappointing. And on a Friday night, they didn't have half of their game tables open so the ones that were, you couldn't get in on a game. When we were checking out I was surprised by a $20 increase on the rate which we were quoted upon arrival. However, when I contacted the manager she did gladly decrease the rate and appoligize for our stay. I wish I could say that made up for this horrible experience. If given the option of staying here or somewhere else, please run far from this hotel. I hear the Beau Rivage is so much nicer.

• Stayed: June 2005
Knights Inn Bay St. Louis
Knights Inn Bay St. Louis
#4 of 4 in Bay Saint Louis
Hampton Inn & Suites Gulfport

Been to Hollywood Casino & Hotel Gulf Coast? Share your experiences!