“Not as Good as My Last Visits”
Review of El Maguey

El Maguey
Cuisines: Mexican
Huntsville, Alabama
“Not as Good as My Last Visits”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Service was great and the meals were fine. My main complaint was that the chips tasted like they had been fried in old shortening. They brought new chips that were supposed to have been fried in new shortening but they still tasted slightly rancid. Our server said folks at another table noted the same thing. We had to leave the chips untouched! I will have to say they are very, very generous with the sour cream that accompanies their dishes. I usually don't get enough but they served more than enough.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank AGoingGal

Biloxi, Mississippi
“Great place for Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stopped by after church. Clean and fun atmosphere. Lots of charm. Staff was friendly and food was served quickly. Mix of Mexican, Carribean and Tex-mex in one place.

• Visited September 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Used to be much better. Go to La Chula instead.”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

A long time ago, El Maguey was formerly Los Tres Amigos, and it was one of the best restaurants in town, period. A few years back, the restaurant seemed to be not as busy, and the quality of the food and service went way down. A fresh coat of paint and a name change, and El Maguey was born - but the service and food is still quite poor. My last visit, the cheese sauce for chips was excellent and the drinks were very good, but the actual food itself was cold and largely flavorless, and it took quite a while to receive despite the restaurant being fairly empty.

I will say, the interior of the restaurant is really very nice - they did an exceptional job there. It's been a long time since we've visited, and I can't see us ever going back with all of the other quality options in town.

• Visited March 2013
Pass Christian, Ms.
“One Of my Favorite Mexican Restaurants”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I am not a big fan of Mexican restaurants. Most give you low quality dog meat with inedible sauce and cheap cheese. The refried beans are usually soup. El Maguey is a rare exception. The hamburger used is tasty and the refried beans actually are quite good. Prices are also very affordable so go gringo !

Visited July 2013
Bay St. Louis, MS
“Getting Better”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Just don't get the fajitas (greasy)!!!! Friday nights are a great time to go if you like margaritas. My husband and I eat off of the Chef's menu lately. The food has been getting better over the last few months.

Visited July 2013