“Potential Gem”

200 North Beach Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
200 North Beach Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This restaurant really has potential of being a gem in BSL, key word potential, but unfortunately it is lacking in service. Apparently I should have visited on Tuesday instead of Monday as my experience was not so pleasurable. My business partner and I were traveling thru and an acquaintance suggested we try them out. We arrived for lunch around 1:00 pm and they appeared not so busy, so we thought we could get in and out in a reasonable amount of time as we were traveling to New Orleans to catch a flight out. I will have to say the young lady that greeted us sat us outside as we requested in a timely manner but we waited what seemed an eternity to have a waitress come and take our drink order. Once she finally did (10 minutes ) after being seated, another 10 minutes passed to get our water and drinks. Not to draw this review out lengthy, so I will spare the minor details. Our appetizers Oyster Rockefellers came out cool as well as our gumbo. We called for our waitress and ask if they cold reheat the oysters, she obliged and brought them back out at the same temp as she did the first time.
Then...our entrees came separate and my business partner was finished eating his (cool) stuffed shrimp before I received my Spinach Salad.
The positive thing I can say about this experience is the waitress did appear to be apologetic and removed the appetizers from the bill and offered two free glasses of champagne.
I hesitate to rate it average as it truly is in a very nice area and the décor and ambiance was very nice as well.
But I truly hope that the owner Ms Ann reads this review and holds a business meeting with her staff and brings to their attention these reviews that are stating their service is substandard.
Would I return? Maybe if I knew that I was going to be waited on in a timely manner and my food would come out hot.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Ann, the owner, knows how to put her personal touch into her restaurant business from fresh flowers on every table every day to photos of the historic building in which her restaurant is located. The menu offers a variety of local flavors from salads to fresh fish and sandwiches. Their homemade potato chips/fries are to die for. The staff is helpful.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was here for brunch this past weekend with a large group of about 20. The thing that stuck with me the most was how fantastic the service was. We had 2 servers that were just perfect. There wasn't a single order mixed up, everyone was served at the same time, all the food was hot, the drinks stayed full, and they just did a real great job.

My only disappointment was the food. I had the crab stuffed baked shrimp with asparagus. The shrimp & stuffing were so dry the shrimp scraped my mouth. They tasted like they were pre-made from a freezer package and then left in the oven too long. The asparagus side consisted of 2 spears of asparagus. And the rice it came with was not good at all. It was a basic pilaf, but the flavor was of too much dry parsley that was added on after it was cooked - if they are adding herbs to cooked rice they should be fresh, not dried. And this was a $19 plate.

That being said, most everyone in our party loved their meals. Most others got omelets, steak & eggs, salads, etc. I heard one other person complain about their seafood dish too (having a funny taste like my shrimp),but that was it - so 2 out of 20 is still a good ratio. But if I were the owner I would make sure my seafood is fresh and done well, especially for being a beach side restaurant!

The brunch drink deals were great, $3 bloody mary's & mimosas, which were well made. And the atmosphere was nice.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Located in a restored building that was devistated by Katrina. We were greated by a friendly staff. The food was fresh, well-prepared southern cooking and local seafood. I had a po'boy with shrimp, and my partner had chicken n rice. Both were excellent. It was a very relaxing restaurant after being in the French Quarter for a weekend.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Fresh, well-prepared, local seafood. The menu is very nice, and a selections range from soups, salads, and sandwiches to fully plated entrees. My companion had tomato bisque and a fried shrimp po'boy. The soup was delicious with a home-made taste. The po'boy was basically a conveyance for the shrimp - a large quantity of lightly breaded very good shrimp on wonderful bread. The swamp sauce, lettuce and tomato did not add much to the sandwich. I had a bowl of seafood gumbo, and two crab cakes. Both were good, not great.

A late lunch on a long holiday weekend with a hour's wait for a table is a test on the kitchen and the wait staff. The result does this place proud: the bartender was cheerful and competent, service was very good and the place (including rest rooms) was clean.