“Excellent dining experience.”

Sycamore House
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Sycamore House is a family run up scale restaurant that has been open since 2002. Michael Eastham and Stella LeGardeur are innovative chefs and owners, whom live in the restaurant with their loving children.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Here is a well run eatery. The menu is interesting and diverse. The wine list is well balanced and fairly priced. We enjoyed the turtle soup (this was a first for me). Salad was fresh albeit somewhat plain with few pecans. The crab and mushroom cheesecake was exceptional as were the main courses of the fish special and the brisket. We split the dessert of Chocolate torte with a raspberry
coulis. Our server John was professional and attentive to our needs. This was the best dining experience to date in Mississippi. We highly recommend that you call for reservations at this delightful locale.
Note: The following day we were called by a member of staff that a bracelet had been found.
It was indeed 'ours' and we were unaware it was missing! Thanks to the team at the Sycamore House we shall return.

2  Thank Fred123
There are newer reviews for Sycamore House

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stopped by on a recommendation from locals for their Sunday Brunch. Although all the guests seemed to arrive just as it opened, and it filled up, the staff coped very well. We had 2 Bloody Marys and 2 Mimosas each at $3 each then flauta to start, followed by shrimp & egg plant omelette and crabmeat omelette, which came with grits and bacon. First time I have ever eaten grits but the way they were prepared was very tasty. We shall return there on our next day trip from New Orleans.

1  Thank cockney007
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have enjoyed numerous lovely dining experiences at the Sycamore House. The character of the house itself set the stage for an amazing time. My husband and I moved to Bay St. Louis in 2006 and lived there until lae 2012. We had many special occasion dinners, along with brunch frequently. The service was top drawer everytime. Of course, it is about the food. We were never disappointed with any meal. The thoughtful preparation of each dish and fresh ingredients made for a beautiful taste as well as a sight for the eyes. I look forward to visiting the Sycamore House when I visit the coast. You will enjoy a wonderful time.

1  Thank wr630
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

From the friendliness to the food! This cozy restaurant nestled among live oaks in Bay St. Louis is a must for anyone looking for an overall dining experience! Every time we have been there has impressed us with the quality of service and how good the food is! Everything is excellent!

1  Thank tater1212
Reviewed May 19, 2014

At the Sycamore House, time stands still in the following ways. You be the judge:

The Good:
* Beautifully maintained home in the heart of Bay St. Louis. On this property, it's like Katrina never happened.
* They still care about the way the food is prepared. These are gourmet recipes, clearly created or customized to meet the unique offerings of this local restaurant... Ice cream made on-site for dessert... A respectable bar with a variety of offerings.
* Your choice of well-appointed rooms, the screened-in porch, or the back patio for dining. White tablecloths (except for the patio). Fine china.
* The ability to have a truly romantic meal
* Friendly staff; authentic Southern accents.

The Not as Good:
* You may be on a schedule, but the staff is not. Again - time stands still. You'll likely wait a while for your food. If you arrive in a non-peak time, and no one's in the foyer to greet you, you might stand awkwardly in the foyer wondering if you're intruding or unwelcome. (That's how my wife and I felt until a server walked by a few minutes later and acknowledged us; though she was friendly and hospitable once she saw us.)
* It's a little hoity-toity. I appreciate the old-school Southern charm but would suggest the overall atmosphere is too formal.
* While the pace of the restaurant may reflect a slower, simpler way of life, the prices have certainly kept up with inflation. The cost of a lunch for two, including a glass of wine and a tip, topped $70. I've attached photos of our meals.

Overall: The quality of our food was excellent. I'm glad we ate there during a day trip to BSL. Just be aware of what this restaurant offers and what it doesn't. It may suit your desires. Or you might feel more comfortable down the road.

Note: I'm giving the service a "poor" simply because of the time between ordering and receiving. The service was friendly - just slow. Even tea and coffee took a good while to arrive. And while we wanted dessert, the delay in seeing our server again prompted us to just pay and leave.

1  Thank TideTraveler98