“There are good and not so good things to say...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Danao Coco Palms Resort

and 1 more site!
Danao Coco Palms Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Danao City B&B and Inns
“There are good and not so good things to say...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I guess, like 2 sides of a coin, there are the good things and the not so good things to say about this place.

First, for me, the good things I liked were, the peaceful feeling one gets in the surroundings, the picturesque setting and 2 nice big pools. The rooms seemed bigger and better than many other hotels in the area. Wifi worked well in certain areas but oddly, not very well in our room. Cable tv worked fine and so did our air conditioner.

Well, the not so good things were, things like what seemed to be the "inexperienced" receptionists, who would often reply, "according to management". Have you often been asked by the hotel to leave an ID or cash as a deposit for the room keys? The food was not to my taste at all. In my opinion, it seemed over priced as well. I did not enjoy the free breakfast. So what we did was take the car and drive to the nearby city to have our meals. It appeared like there were not many waiters because looking for one was a big ordeal. The housekeeping staff were excellent though. Very attentive to our needs. Overall, if you can manage to take the good with the not so good, then, just go with the flow.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor, for easy access to the pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelingcebuano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cebu
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We reserved one room for three days and two nights. Paid reservation a day before we checked in and paid in full when we checked out. Paid for extra bed because our boys are joining too and for some reason there is a lot of misunderstanding in reception and housekeeping. We paid for extra bed but housekeeping was not informed. Our two little boys left early and housekeeping did not notify reception that they did not set up the extra bed on the second night!!! One speaks Chinese and the other Japanese! And to make things worst! Only one chef in the whole resort and one waiter too!!! And if you order lunch at 12 your lunch will arrive almost 2 thats very efficient right? Duh.... A must NOT try resort

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Prettyreese11

Travelers are raving about these Danao City hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Coco Palms Resort, has a wonderful Setting
The infrastructure is great, beautiful pool, set on a point to make the most of the view across the ocean.
The room setting felt a little small, but is very nice, with a nice balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean.
TV was good with a range of channels in English.
Room furnishings were good.
The fridge was empty and not filled full of the goods hotels try to sell at 150% mark up, so I liked that.
Room Service cleaning was very good, but the lady (Jenifer) who did an excellent job, was clearly over worked and had to clean all the rooms on her own.
Considering the world outside the hotel gates, this is a very and enjoyable resort.
The downside;
The air conditioning capacity was too small and struggled to cool the room during the day.
The WI-Fi was hopeless, I had to leave the room to get a decent signal, and all my equipment is new with good specs, under 3 months (laptop, Tablet and phone) so I don’t believe it is my equipment.
WI-FI is important to me because I am travelling a lot and rely heavily on it.
The shower is very nice, but the water pressure is pathetic.
The breakfast was ordinary, and although, breakfast in the room was encouraged by reception, one day they said sorry they were just too busy to deliver breakfast WTF?
Room service was prompt and a very good service, although, they kept opening the beer bottles, even though I asked them not too.
Room Service Cleaning kept knocking on the door at 8 am in the morning, which was a bit annoying.
They don’t have a laundry service, but offered to outsource it only it would take 4 days, I was only booked for another two.
I needed to print my airline booking and reception said they could not print it for me.
I asked for a late checkout of 3 hours, and they wanted 1250 pesos, I politely declined.
I don’t like to write such a negative review, but I felt these issues needed high lighting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Leon B
Cebu
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Recently spent a weekend here with family. When we viewed the last room available before we took it, it was clean and ok. We immediately changed and my kid started enjoying the kiddie pool just near our room. After the swim, then our nightmare started. There is almost no water coming out from the shower. None comes out from the wash basin also. Only the water from the pillar tap is working. But we cannot use it since there is no pail. Had to inform the reception personally (since there is no room telephone) about our complaint. They said they will ask the guard to turn on the tank so water will come out. The lady even mentioned that they cannot turn on the tank all the time because water will spill which makes the lot in the pool area wet. ah...ok... So we have to inform them if we want to use the bathroom so they can turn it on again? We had to make do with whatever is coming out from the shower. And the water heater is not working anymore because of the very low water pressure.

At night time, we have the same predicament. The toilet bowl will no longer flush because there's no water. We have to ask for pail from the reception so we can just use the toilet. And the water just tastes salty. We were wondering if it would be better not to rinse from the pool than wash using a "salty" water. We were better off if we stayed at home!

I have no complaints with their food. Its a bit pricey but since this is a resort, its understandable. What I cannot understand is the flies everywhere. We were having breakfast and you cannot even leave your plate even for a minute or the flies will take over.

Room Tip: Check first the water supply prior to getting a room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank chickmom
Cebu Island, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have visited this resort thrice already and I must say that each visit gave me a different experience.

The first time I visited Danao Cocopalms was in December 2012 and it was an overnight stay with my hubby. The rooms were quite big, clean and well equipped. What I like most of the rooms is that each has its own veranda overlooking the infinity pool. The infinity pool was exclusive for guests who booked a room for overnight stay so the pool isn't overcrowded and you would have a little privacy (although, there were occasional sneaks from "day-users" using the infinity pool). They play a band in the evening at the poolside to entertain guests at the bar. This didn't allow us to have a "peaceful" night though since we can still hear the singing and the music even if we close our room doors. The free breakfast that they offer was not at all impressive. The buffet was far from extraordinary that you wouldn't feel you are checked in in a resort hotel -- you would even rather eat at home. However, if you order a la carte, it's way better. We still did have a great time and we were able to relax and unwind, so it's not really bad.

The 2nd and 3rd time that we went there was friends and family. It's best if you book ahead since there's a big possibility that you won't get a cottage if you just go there w/o reserving ahead. I love their cottages. They're also spacious and each has a hammock where you can just swing and relax all day. Understandably, the pool (the pool for all) is crowded since the place is getting more popular each passing day. And oh! They have inflatable slides for their water adventure and they also offer kayaking. I've never tried both coz I was too afraid that time -- maybe the next time I'll visit, I'd try.

All in all, our stay in the resort was worthwhile.

Room Tip: Rooms at the new bldg - 1st floor, I think is the best since you won't have to go down the stair...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cha_Loves_to_Travel
Cebu City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been here for quite a few times since I live in the same city where this resort is located. With a typical Monday to Friday office work, the best thing to do on a weekend is to hit the beach or pool up north. The staff, generally, needs to be well-trained with their hospitality and never talk back to their guests no matter where they come from or how they look like. Their front-desk, I must say, a specific lady, was never helpful but would add outrage to your hopefully-sunny-day away from work and another specific gentleman staff didn't know how to cater the needs of their guests. This is a point-of-view of someone, and on behalf of my sun-worship girl buddy, that has been here more than 5 times that the lifeguards recognize us at all because we work on our tan. It's really a sad thing but hands-down to the owner (I think he was) when he visited the place and it happened, we were there. He's way hospitable than the staff. Anyhow, overall, the place is strategically located with the best sunset view in the mid-north of Cebu. Spick-and-span sea view bedrooms and wide areas for group outings for family, co-workers or friends. They also have affordable rates. A must-try? Their awesome carbonara and choc/cappuccino milkshakes!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank RottenNuke
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here in August, the resort is nice, new rooms which are clean. I was visiting a friend in that area so location depends on your requirement, for me it was just perfect. They have two pool which have a good view. Overall its a relaxing place to stay in I would say. Rooms were slightly small but still good I would say. Definitely going back to stay there on my next trip to Cebu. Don't expect a breakfast meal or anything. This Resort is just best to stay only.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Kandaya Resort
Kandaya Resort
#1 of 1 in Daanbantayan

Been to Danao Coco Palms Resort? Share your experiences!