“You get what you pay for”

Edgecliff Lodge Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Edgecliff
Edgecliff Lodge Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Edgecliff
Maroochydore, Australia
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the motel last weekend (7-9 March) and also had the unpleasant fire alarm issue. And there were some problems with the room - the cigarette burns on the carpet, unknown stains. Low water pressure and 2 settings on the air con - freezing and sweltering.

But let's be serious - for a double room we paid under $100 a night with incredibly easy connections into the city and friendly helpful staff. And, in the morning there was orange juice cereal and milk in the fridge for breakfast! There was also some bread but after Friday night I stayed well clear of the toaster! So all in all it was good value.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed here March 7th 2014 for 1 night with a friend & paid $120 for one night (Friday Night)
Stayed in a family room (room 114 I think), reception was fairly clean which was a good first impression, however, once we got to the lift we realised we were in for a shock. Once arriving to our room, we opened the door and a foul odour came out – I have never ever stayed in a place so disgusting in my life. We didn’t take our shoes off! We stripped the linen off the bed as it was appauling. The warning on the back of the door warned us of the break-ins after midnight and advised us to use the “security lock” – which had been ripped out of the wall so we had no lock. Our toilet was apparently “hygienically sealed” however, when we lifted the seat there was urine in the toilet & pubic hairs.

While we were getting ready for our night out, the fire alarm went off because someone in another room burnt toast- how old are their fire systems that burnt toast evacuates the WHOLE building?

We were outside waiting to go back to the motel for over half an hour.

We purposely stayed out majority of the night as we couldn’t stand the thought of going back to the room.

Stay clear.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carly S
Cowra, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Arriving at the motel we were a bit doubtful judging by the outside but much as ease once we stepped inside. Though tiny the room was clean and met all our needs.
We got a family room, a double, single and fold out lounge.
The fold out lounge was as hard as a rock! The rooms were also very loud when party-goers were arriving home from their night out we were often awaken.
Overall it was good value for money, only faults would be limited parking and a bit outdated/uncomfortable.

• Stayed March 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I'm going to try and explain why as succinctly as possible, though with the bad things I want to say, it's very hard.

--> 5 people were stuck in a room that was around 8 metres in length, and 3 and 1/2 ish in width, with a teeny bath room and a Harry Potter-esque 'master' room with just a bed. Could barely manoeuvre around the 'apartment', and was a task to get into the bathroom, as the sink blocked the door from fully opening

--> Lift was in poor condition, take the stairs

--> Car park fits ONLY 13 cars, with 5 levels of 14+ rooms. It's a big sloping hill, with low hanging poles. One particular spot was so hard to manoeuvre out of it took us 10 minutes. And if you don't get a spot, I'd seriously question whether you should stay there, as the place frequently warns you about security, or rather, the LACK of it

Overall, old, rickety, and not a place you want to visit. Perhaps, MAYBE, if you're only one person, or two, and it's just one night for a quick stop over, then I'd consider it good for something cheap.

Otherwise STAY AWAY!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank BrunetteAmbitio... S
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2013

OK. So this is NOT the Hilton. Not even your average Golden Chain. But for what you pay, I do not understand how people can complain. In fact I found this hotel to be better than many 3.5 star rated places I have stayed in. I stayed here for 3 to 4 nights a week, for a couple of weeks. My room was quiet and private yet airy with big windows. It overlooked a nice garden (not the hotels garden...but it was a nice outlook). My bed was VERY comfortable. The TV was a decent size flat screen. The air-conditioning worked very well during Sydney heat wave, and it was QUIET...in fact...silent ! Not like the air/con I am usually accustomed to in cheaper accommodation. It had a good shower and toilet, and everything was clean. The fit out is old, and you can't help the tiresome look that can come with age....but it was clean. Clean towels everyday and my bed linen was crisp and clean. The small bar fridge is stocked everyday with milk, juice, bread and fruit bread, butter and spreads as well as box of cereal for breakfast. It has a sink, microwave, cutlery and crockery. There is a small table and chairs, clothes hanging cupboard and luggage shelf. It's not massive, but it has everything that one or a couple should really need if you are out and about for the days. The notice in the bathroom is NOT about breaking the drinking glasses, as a previous TA review had suggested. The notice advises you that if you break the handbasin, you pay for it. Reasonable I think. They have obviously had enough problems that it warranted a small notice. Also as for the notice on the doors about break-ins, these kinds of notices are in many hotels. Been to the Gold Coast lately? You'd be annoyed if you were not warned and something happened. As for cockroaches.....I didn't see any, but hey...this is Sydney. Aren't they the City Bird? The under cover parking is a tight squeeze, but again, it comes with the room price. Show me a better place in Sydney that gives you free parking !!!! The staff are indeed all Asian, and again, are everything that you need. There is often a number of family or friends of the staff/owners around the reception area. I found the staff are humorous in a direct kind of way. You ask for help, they give it to you. No airs and graces, no layering of "pleases" and "thank you's" or false interest in what it is you are in Sydney for. I liked them for this. My aircon wasn't working one morning. I told the staff and it was fixed (in fact replaced) by the time I got back to my room that afternoon. Final tips: 1) there is no one available at the desk after 11pm. If you are arriving after 11 pm....let them know. They make arrangements for you. 2) it is only a 500 mtr walk (up a slope) to Edgecliff train station. If you book a cab, and you are only going to the city, you will be flat out getting one to take your booking. You are best to wait on the opposite side of the road and flagged one down. Or, book one and say you are going to the airport, then change your mind when they arrive.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back, upstairs (lift)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I booked this hotel for 2 nights and arrived late - there seemed to be people loitering around the check in area and was a strange feeling but that was the least of the issues.

The room I had was off the car park so I felt I had fumes coming in from vehicles. The room was very very basic and had a tv and bed and couch - but none of it really was practical or you would want to use.

The bathroom was basic and again not something you would enjoy to use - I preferred to shower down at the beach/pool each day.

The kitchen was small and not useful - they left a small Orange Juice and 3 slices of bread (2 white, one fruit) and with butter and spreads - basic and free - your choice to use but don't expect a breakfast - there was also milk and some small cereal boxes.

I suppose you get what you pay for but I have had a deal and got a much better experience down the road in the past at a near 5 star place for the same price.

I would not recommend this place and using the site hope people stay away thus forcing them to improve things but I really think they need to halve the price so cheaper than backpackers (to around $50 per night) or bulldoze the place.

Easily the worst place I have stayed anywhere so far - sorry guys

Room Tip: Maybe get one not in the car park!!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Orange, NSW
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The rooms are not flashy, but quite adequate (clean, well-maintained). Fridge and microwave in the room, basic breakfast provided, bathroom quite good.
Service friendly and efficient. Parking looks tight, but we didn't have a car.
It's quite a hike uphill to Edgecliff station, especially with luggage. That's really the only downside.
I'll certainly come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgecliff
Darlinghurst
Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney
Double Bay
Intercontinental Sydney Double Bay
Sydney Lodge Motel
#140 of 179 in Sydney

Been to Edgecliff Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!