“At the Owners Mercy”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Worthington
Jordan
“At the Owners Mercy”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I am a crane operator in the wind industry and am at the mercy of small town hotels. Three of us stayed at this hotel and are appalled at the lack of respect and disregard we got from the owner. We are also at the mercy of the weather and in high winds, we are sent home. We had initially paid for three rooms for three nights – 05/29/2013 through 05/31/2013. We explained to the owner that we might have to cancel due to weather and he assured us we would get a refund.

On Thursday, due to high winds we were sent home after one night’s stay. Mind you, we had just spent a week in this hotel the week before. We contacted the owner as soon as we got the notification – around 11:45am Thursday. He refused to issue a refund or a credit because we cancelled late. Is this any way to take care of a repeat customer?? For calling in a cancellation 45 minutes past a deadline??? Now we were concerned for Friday because the charges for three nights had gone through immediately on Wednesday.

We got notification that we would not need Friday’s room late on Thursday and cancelled our room for Friday. This time he said he would give us a credit for a room for a future stay. This is NOT what we wanted as with our industry, we are all over the area and never sure where we will be called next. I had several conversations with the owner and he angrily conceded that he would refund Thursday and Friday, but that if I needed a room for Friday, I would pay a higher rate – I didn’t care. I was just happy to get the refund.

As luck would have it, we WERE called back to that location Friday and were back in discussion with a very disrespectful, angry owner. He blatantly LIED to me that he NEVER said he would refund anything. He said we would get a credit for one night and that is all.

I am so sick to be at the mercy of these hotel owners. He was rude, the room stunk, the food was marginal – just a very rotten way for a hard working man who has been in the field for over 12 hours to end the day. Absolutely disgusting.

I will now TRAVEL to Jackson to stay at a better, finer establishment due to our treatment at this one. Feel free to contact me with ANY questions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank MissEllie2010
danstawart, Manager at Days Inn Worthington, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest

When this particular guest took the room for 3 nights the hotel had gave him a construction rate which is non refundable. Guest stayed 2 nights and wanted to check out 4pm in the afternoon which is automatically another day charge. All the hotels has either 11am or noon check out time. not at 4pm. still hotel helped the guest out for his next day credit which guest did came and used it. we have no idea why guest is putting up false information against the hotel. every one works hard for money. All the comments are provided by guest is absolutely false. We are not putting this response to argue with the guest but purpose of this response is to let the people know that guest had absolutely provided the false and misleading information about the hotel.
The reason why this guest had put up review because he did not wanted to pay for the room despite staying until 4pm which another day charge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Enjoyed my stay very much. Check in was very quick and the front desk staff was very helpful. Very clean and comfortable rooms. Nice breakfast in the morning! Next time I'm back in Worthington I will be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Minnesota
Reviewed April 8, 2013

While I appreciate hotels with extra ammenities I certainly don't need them. I simply desire a clean and comfortable room. This hotel provides neither. After a long day I pulled back the covers of the bed to discover a jubilee of stains on both the top and bottom steets. There were at least three different types of stains and I was repulsed to say the least. After notifying the front desk staff he tried to hand me another pair of sheets. I replied, "um, no, your sheets were dirty when I arrived; you can change them". He then sends his wife in to change the sheets and the replacement sheets were also stained! She even told me "they aren't stains, they are just old". I replied "we'll it sounds like its time to get some new sheets then". I was so repulsed I checked out a day early and found othe accomadaions. Bottom line: I have stayed at nicer and cleaner hostels, don't stay here.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Sarah H

Travelers are raving about these Worthington hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Worthington
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Worthington
Sibley Inn, Iowa
Sibley Inn, Iowa
#2 of 2 in Sibley
Holiday Inn Express Worthington

Been to Days Inn Worthington? Share your experiences!