“A truly unique experience!”
Review of Queen Sheba - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Queen Sheba
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed August 10, 2013

First off, you need to find this place. There is no signage outside that says the restaurant name. I'll be honest, we had been in the area a few days before and saw a man outside what I thought was a tenant hotel, who looked African and later when I read the reviews on trip advisor, I had an idea where it would be located.
Atmosphere: Yes, this is definitely located in an old hotel lobby. It didn't "feel" like a restaurant when we went inside, and a few of the tables were not cleared, but we were up for an adventure so we stayed.
Service: The waitress had a welcoming smile and came to our table right away. The menus are written in Ethiopian (probably not the correct name for their language) with basic English descriptions. We didn't get glasses of water, but we've noticed that to be pretty standard in Minnesota unless you ask for you - you don't get it. The service wasn't quick, but we weren't in a hurry and it wasn't unreasonably long either.
Food: We didn't have any idea what to order, so I approached some English speaking customers and asked them what they were having. She knew it was beef and lentils but didn't know what the name was either. I tried to relay to the waitress we wanted what they were having, but she kept wanting to serve us lamb. We aren't lamb eaters so we did manage to communicate we wanted chicken, beef, and lentils. She also asked if we wanted greens. Ultimately we ended up with a wonderful spicy beef dish, a friend chicken leg with very sticky rice and the most amazing spicy green sauce to dip it in, a lentil dish, homemade cheese (similar to feta in consistency, but not in taste) and collard greens.
You don't have utensils to eat the food. They serve it with a pancake type bread and you tear it off and scoop the food onto it and eat it. By the end of the meal, I had become comfortable with this and was actually really enjoying the experience.

I would say the food deserves an "excellent" rating. It was outstanding. I just can't give the entire restaurant an excellent because of the atmosphere. The entire meal was $18 and more than enough for two adults. We did witness someone pay with a credit card, but there seemed to be some confusion about how they could add the tip onto the card. We paid with cash and had no problems at all. Absolutely worth a try!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This place is so out of the norm as to be very hard to rate. Most importantly, the food is great and the owner/chef is as warm and friendly as can be. But, and it's a big but, you have to get past the atmosphere. Walking in the door is like stepping into a poor, third world country. The dining room is bare, with cafeteria-like tables and chairs strewn about. The two nights we were there, paper towels sufficed for napkins. No one will rush up to you to take you to a table. Just pick a spot and sit down.

The first night, we were a little confused by the length of time our server stared at the items we pointed to on the menu. Then we realized it was because she was thinking to be sure that they had all of the ingredients for our selections because everything is made fresh from scratch, and not all menu items are available every day.

Most selections are served on a huge platter on top of a layer of Ethiopian bread, pieces of which are broken off and used to pick up and eat the various meats and salads. The portions are huge, two people can easily be satisfied by one entree. Prices average $10.00, which is a bargain for what you get. Our $3.00 glasses of wine were literally filled to the brim.

As I mentioned, we ate there two nights in a row; and it will be the first stop on our next visit to Worthington.

1  Thank 167Traveler