“Things have changed since past reviews that you will read.”

Key Inn Saint Paul - Woodbury
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Woodbury
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We recently relocated to Minneapolis and this was the only hotel with the area that I could get a weekly rate of $262 including tax, that would allow us to bring our dog without any additional costs. Be sure that they don't charge you for your room and then put an additional hold for another weekly rate on top of it. I was using a debit card and the employee who checked me in during the middle of the night did not enter my payment correctly and it caused my card to get charged twice. The daytime employees worked diligently with my bank to get my funds put back on my card the next day. The hotel is right off the highway, you have lots of places to eat close by and grocery store all within walking distance. So, after reading all of these reviews, I placed a call to the location to ask about what I had read. I spoke with a very nice employee that explained there had been several changes that had taken place since there were a lot of bad issues that had taken place in 2012. First, they no longer allow anyone under 21 or anyone without a credit card to obtain a room. They have hired security that I have physically seen myself. And most importantly, the Woodbury police do not play games around here. I witnessed them come into the office, obtain information on all the names of those in the rooms and then they drive from car to car checking all the license plates on a nightly basis. Now, we all know that when a facility offers less expensive rooms in does attract some of those less than desirable customers. We had one night were two young girls arrived and begin to put on a performance for all of us with a screaming match right next to our room. I politely went down to the office and told them either they get removed or they would be refunding my money. Police were called immediately and both girls were escorted out of the room. The employees will react when they realize that someone is causing an unnecessary disturbance for the rest of us who just want peace and quite. The rooms are fairly spacious considering other hotels I have stayed in. I cannot say the grounds are the best kept. Lots of trash is bagged up next to the trash cans on a nightly/daily basis until housekeeping gets in to the building in the morning and the concrete is in serious need of power washing. All I can say, is that it wasn't as bad as previous posts. The employees are working hard to make changes and do their best to react to unnecessary drama. Be prepared that only King rooms offer a refrigerator and microwave, doubles do not. If I had to stay here again, I would.

Room Tip: Depends on if you have needs for a refrigerator and microwave. If you do, King rooms are the only o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RedRoofInn063, General Manager at Key Inn Saint Paul - Woodbury, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Misskim757:

Thank you for taking the time to to proviide us with your feedback redarding your stay at our hotel.
First I would like to apologize for incorrect billing that took place the night you checked in. I'm glad that we took care of the problem the next morning. We have made a few changes so that each Guest can enjoy a pleasent stay at our property. You are correct in your comment about the staff working hard. As the new manager I can say that we are not where we want be and we will keep on striving to meet your expectation.

Once again please accept my apologies and I do hope that I will see you at our Inn in the future.

There are newer reviews for Key Inn Saint Paul - Woodbury

Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews for this place, I was wary of staying here. But I screwed up and didn't reserve till last minute and everyplace else jacked up their prices so I was stuck here. What a pleasant surprise. A decent clean room. Pleasant staff. Well worth the money. I've spent much more to stay at much worse. Maybe it's a recent change in management or ownership.

• Stayed: June 2013
RedRoofInn063, General Manager at Key Inn Saint Paul - Woodbury, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Wally P:

On behalf of the staff of the Red Roof Inn Woodbury, thank you for taking time to giv us your feedback. Our staff is now putting the needs of Guest first. We still some challenges to work through, but I know we will get there. We have made some policy changes that would make your stay more enjoyable.

Once again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Rooms 107 and 109 was to be non-smoking....smelled like an ashtray. While the sheets looked clean uppon pulling them back the mattress looked like it was saved from the dump. Huge blood stains everywhere. I DARE ANY REDROOF CEO TO SPEND THE NIGHT AT THIS PLACE ESPECIALLY ROOM 109 OR 107!

Lesson....cheap room rates = fllth! Will pay a higher rate at another property to be able to sleep without fear of catching some disease!

Room Tip: Want cheap filthy room this is your place!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The people working the front desk were very friendly. The hotel itself, however was not so nice. I understand some rooms are 'smoking' rooms, but ours was not and it still smelled of smoke. The comforters on the beds smelled. The beds themselves, were hard and pretty uncomfortable. Pillows for the beds were small and lumpy. We asked the front desk for a couple more pillows as one of our guests was pregnant and needed a little more comfort. When the worker brought more to the room she said, 'I know they are small and not very comfy, but it's all we could come up with.' I guess the $55 we paid for the room was about average. But I think next time I would spend the extra $25-$30 to stay at a different place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The first time we spent a night in a motel/hotel in this area. Choose the Red Roof Inn Woobury MN because of its rates. We spent 3 nights. We were pleasantly surprised upon arrival and it continued though out our 4 day stay. The hotel is not new, but rooms are clean and we got a good nights rest. The facilities also are not new, but they worked well for us. Way more than what we could expect for the money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Made a reservation before reading the reviews.Once I read then thought about canceling it but thought I would give it a try..... So GLAD I did! I was suppose to be there by 6 PM. Due to weather I was not able to arrive until after 1 AM I called spoke with Jennifer who assured me my reservation would be held until I was able to arrive. When I got there my reservation was still being held I was checked in less then 5 Minutes. The parking lot was a little icy but it had been snowing all day. There was a security guard on the premises when I arrived. Made me feel secure. The room was clean and for the price couldn't have been beat. There was fresh coffee in the morning. Dave checked me out within 5 minutes as well it was a good stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this hotel before I read the reviews. Then almost canceled because the reviews were so negative. This is not a great place, but it served me well for the 5 days I was in the area for a summer dog show. The price was awesome. Dogs are welcome, which is nice. There are lots of grassy areas for potty breaks. Since so many guests have dogs, it would be nice to have waste containers available. The hotel is old and grungy. The carpet was so dingy that I kept shoes on whenever possible. New carpet would be nice. Beds and bathrooms were clean. Air conditioning thermostat worked. There are few amenities. Bring your own hair dryer. No breakfast, but fresh, good coffee was available whenever I went looking. Once at 5 am.. There are snack machines and ice. My biggest fears - bugs and crime - were unfounded. While there were people there who appeared to be living there, everyone I met was exceptionally nice. Friendly. That's part of walking with a dog. It gives one ready conversation material, but it was a nice surprise.

Room Tip: Second floor is accessible by stairs. Lower floor makes walking dogs easier.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
RedRoofInn063, General Manager at Key Inn Saint Paul - Woodbury, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the kind words and I will be sharing this review with my staff. You mentioned that you stayed here for a dog show; we typically have quite a few guests that stay for the same reason since we are a pet friendly hotel. I think your idea about a pet waste station makes sense, I plan on adding one. We are hoping to have it up before your next visit. Along with that, we have started replacing carpets in some of the rooms to a softer one, so socks on or not you should be much happier. I know you have other choices in the area for lodging but we really appreciate you choosing Red Roof Inn.

Michael Melendez
Floating General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Paul East
Hampton Inn Minneapolis/St. Paul-Woodbury
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Paul-Woodbury
Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Woodbury
Sheraton St. Paul Woodbury Hotel
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
#11 of 16 in Saint Paul

Been to Key Inn Saint Paul - Woodbury? Share your experiences!