“Great place to stay”

Sheraton St. Paul Woodbury Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Woodbury
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Modern hotel with excellent front desk staff. The club level rooms are big and clean. Modern amenities abound in these rooms and the free breakfast is nice, especially with the kids. The hotel is nicely located at the 94 and 694 intersection and is easy to get too. There is ample parking and a number of restaurants that are close in the area as well. A Starbucks is also close.

Room Tip: Select Club Level suites.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Amber R, Manager at Sheraton St. Paul Woodbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about our property. It's truly appreciated. I hope we have the pleasure to have you return in the near future. The summer is great here and there are many parks close to bring your children.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

It is a Pretty good hotel with nice facilities. It's calm and comfortable. However, breakfast is a little bit boring. They have a club lounge, pool and sport facilities that people like. Also it's very convenient that they provide transfer to close shops and facilities. Personnel is very helpful.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Amber R, Front Office Manager at Sheraton St. Paul Woodbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about our property. Your views and suggestions are very important and we see them as a gift. It allows us to see which areas are in need of improvement and which areas are our strengths. I hope we get the pleasure of having you as a returning guest in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have been staying at this Sheraton for the last few months and am booked here for the next few months for business. However, I am about to cancel all my reservations to move over to another hotel in the area.

The service is just so-so. The majority of the guests are business travelers such as myself. When a mistake is made, whether it is oversight by the hotel, housekeeping not hanging on the items left in the rooms such as chargers etc or me not handing in the "green cards" for points in lieu of house keeping, management is not flexible to grant you points. The staff demeanor is that they have the guests to fill the hotel, and you are not that important.

The grounds maintenance is lacking, particularly for a Minneasota hotel. The driveway was not salted. It was a sheet of ice this morning, at 7:30am CST, I had to walk very carefully to my car which was 30 feet away. During that time, the shuttle bus had an issue going up the slope to exit their driveway, another car slid backwards, almost hitting me as other people were yelling at me to get out of the way. And, another car skidded going into the hotel driveway, almost running into the front doors, only managing to swerve right to go up the sidewalk into the parking spaces.

That is unacceptable as the safety of the guests and driveway conditions should be the utmost concern for the hotel. Weather condition like this should be expected and there should always be a solution to those unsafe conditions.

I work with about 100 consultants for a nearby large company, and most of us stay in the various hotels in the area. The Hilton Garden Inn has amazing reviews by my co-workers. The staff clean off the snow off the car each morning, and their driveway was salted this morning ;-)

Overall, I am just not very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

I certainly understand your frustration and I sincerely apologize for the problems you faced during your visit. It saddens me to know you left our property not feeling like your expectations weren’t met. There is always room for our property to improve and reviews such as yours give us the opportunity to train in our weaker areas to make sure no other guest has that same experience. I’d like for you to contact me so I can discuss this in more detail. Thank you for your time and honesty.

Front Office Manager
651-209-3284
arevier@sheratonwoodbury.com

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel is nice but not real close to much. We stayed club level which really wasn't much different that the other rooms. There was a club that had cont breakfast and drinks, also had snacks and soft drinks in the evening, but that was about the only difference. The room was nice had flat screen on wall, beds were good, pillows were bad, bathroom was bit strange for more than one person. It had glass french doors 4 inches short of floor so could have been with out doors and been the same. We had free breakfast buffet with our group stay, I am glad it was free as I would not have been happy if I would have paid for it. It was less than average and I am being nice. For the money you can find better in the twin cities area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Amber R, Front Office Manager at Sheraton St. Paul Woodbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback about our property during your stay. I know you mentioned that our location isn’t close to much; however, we do offer complimentary shuttle service to and from several local attractions within a 5 mile radius. Our front desk staff would have gladly suggested some places to visit. I must say I agree that our beds are very comfortable. Sheraton refers to them as the “Sweet Sleeper”. I’m not sure if you are aware of this, but the Sweet Sleeper Bed can be purchased on our website if you find yourself missing it too much. Per request we can provide foam pillows if the standard pillows don’t fit your comfort level. I’m sorry to hear about your experience with breakfast and other room features. If you have any suggestions you’d like to share with the management staff on how we could improve in those particular areas please do not hesitate to contact our property directly at 651-209-3280. We value our guests and want to hear their suggestions.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Great hotel, good service, close to 94 and further amenities. An easy hotel to use when traveling through Minnesota with the family. Kids loved it. I would recommend this hotel. Club level suites are best.

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for the kind feedback! I hope we continue to have your business future. Hopefully you can visit in the summer. The weather is so beautiful and Minnesota has so many fun parks to take the kids. Our complimentary shuttle service can transport you and your family to a handful of parks with in our 5 mile radius.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a lovely, fairly new hotel. It has wonderful parking with easy access. The staff members have been very well trained--from the maids to the waitstaff to the registration staff. Every single person we encountered during our 2 day stay was friendly and polite. They even recognized us as individuals and remembered that one of us was celebrating a birthday. The restaurant is a bit expensive due to the a la carte menu but every item we tried in two nights was excellent. The tomato and french onion soups were superb and the seafood was perfectly prepared.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amber R, Front Office Manager at Sheraton St. Paul Woodbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

I'm so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Woodbury property. I hope we have the pleasure of having you as a returning guest in the future. Your review is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Well, I remember when this hotel was brand new. It was my favorite hotel in the Twin Cities.
I can no longer say this, and I will probably never stay here again.
The hotel is always busy, and it is clean, and pretty comfortable. But the problem I have now is the service, and the management. I suspect that the fact that they are so busy (seems like a ton of 3M folks), they don’t have to think twice about meeting the needs of a customer.
I have been here two times in the last month. The second time I ended up going to the Hilton Garden Inn, downtown Minneapolis instead of staying here.

Neither one of these stays have I reviewed until now.

About 3 weeks ago I stayed here for one night. The room was clean, and comfortable, as I would expect. Was given a top floor room, non-connecting (per my request every time I stay here), on the quiet side. Make sure you get your room on the opposite side of the flags if you stay here. Because if it is windy, they flap real loud, and keep you awake.

I decided to order room service, and saw they had a new menu. I was really excited, because they had some pretty decent looking menu items. The steak medallions looked good, so I called down to order them. As I was ordering I was asked if I wanted a side. I said “what is included” (they usually have 2 sides included). “Nothing” they replied. The medallions alone were 33.00. Okay then “what are my options”? The said “the side orders”, which looked good, except, they were 8.00, and were serving size of 3. I did not want a 3 serving side order of potatoes, or green beans, etc., so I asked them if I could have them combine one serving of beans, and potatoes, for the price of 1 – 3 serving side dish. They put me on hold to find out. They came back on and told me the food was already apportioned, and could not split it up like that? I was frustrated because I could not imagine how the cook could not just simply get a spoon, and scoop it out. I told them I would call back later, while I thought about it. I thought, “how crazy, spend 16.00 for beans and potatoes which will feed 6 people. Or spend 8.00 for enough potatoes to feed 3 people. I have never seen this before on a room-service menu, and can only hope it is just Woodbury Sheraton. I called back, and ordered my meal, however; I was not overly excited about the idea having to over pay. I did just get the steak medallions, potatoes, and desert. See photo.

As I cut into the meat, it was raw in the center of the ½” thick medallions. I cut a piece off the edge, because it was more medium like I ordered. It was cold, and tasted rotten, or very gamey. I took a bite of potato, which tasted fairly good. Since the meat was nasty, I decided to have them pickup my meal (I will never send food back to get re-done – because of risk of what an angry chef may do). I then ordered from a local delivery place.

Woodbury, fix your menu, and your chef, and your F&B Manager…the meat was awful! You cannot expect a single traveler to order a 3 service sized side dish with their meal. Duh.

This week I was back in the Twin Cities, and did not realize I already had booked Woodbury again until I got off the plane and checked my itinerary. Oh no I thought, and had wished I booked another hotel in the area. I drove the ½ hour from the airport to the hotel. Checked in. They did not have a king bed. Okay, well how about a non-connecting room? Highest priority. Nope, they did not have one. I asked if they had one anywhere in the hotel, they said “no”. As I had driven into the place, many of the room lights were not turned on, so I knew that there were a lot of open rooms. I asked, “are you sure? There are very few lights on in the rooms, how can you NOT have a non-connecting room”? I have it in my profile, and I request that here every time. “Sorry”, but we do not have one, we are full up, and the only rooms available with non-connecting rooms are king beds. Oh, well give me a king bed then. Sorry, they are already reserved. Go figure. I went to the Hilton. Adios Sheraton Woodbury.

I have no desire to stay there again, unless it is an emergency.

This review is based on my personal experience, and to at least be fair to the facility, housekeeping, and maintenance, it is a nice place. It is in good repair. Beds are still fairly new feeling. Upkeep seems good, etc. However; the experience I have had with “service / humans”, has been a disappointment. You may love the place…but don’t expect anyone to accommodate any special requests you may have. And do not expect good food – order from a local pizza joint or go out.

Over the years I have probably stayed here 20-25 times. It used to be awesome, my needs were met. People recognized me when I came in, and never had a “bad” service experience in the beginning. But over time it has resulted in what I have experienced in my last two visits.

Room Tip: Non-connecting room - stay away from elevator, and opposite side of flags.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ClickTheGeek
Ana G, Manager at Sheraton St. Paul Woodbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. As a member of the management team, I would like to sincerely apologize for the events that occurred during your time with us. We view feedback as a gift, and an opportunity to take such feedback to our associates and managers alike to identify opportunities for improvement. I have discussed this event with our kitchen and service teams so that in the future, we can be more empathetic to the needs of our guests. Please contact me directly at the hotel- I would like to offer a full refund of your In-room dining bill and discuss your stay in further detail to use as teachable moments for our team. Again, thank you for your post and I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Lisa Heim
Director of Food & Beverage

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbury
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Paul-Woodbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Paul East
1 mi away
Hampton Inn Minneapolis/St. Paul-Woodbury
Residence Inn St. Paul Woodbury
Hilton Garden Inn St. Paul/Oakdale
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Paul NE - Lake Elmo

Been to Sheraton St. Paul Woodbury Hotel? Share your experiences!