“Very satisfied”

The Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Winona
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was looking for a nice pet friendly hotel in Winona and I found it. They were booked for the weekend and thankfully someone cancelled and I got their room.
I stayed in the Standard King and it was a big room, very clean. The Staff was very friendly and took very good care of me. I will stay there whenever I need a place in Winona.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Terry J

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We brought a group of 15 students to this hotel which had agreed with Winona University to be the destination for the student member participating in the weekend conference that Winona hosted.
There was some slight confusion as our faculty adviser had lost his father this past week and was not able to attend the conference with us. While I was trying to clarify a problem with our group's secretary the general manager rudely interrupted. She was a complete ***** (for lack of a better word).
Instead of being smart about being the premiere hotel for a conference that hosted thousands of college students from all over the midwest and putting all the college students on the same floors, they spread them among all floors and were threatening to kick rooms out the last night because of noise complaints. Our rooms were across from the room of a nine-year old girl's birthday party.
Our biggest complaint was that after calling and asking whether they offered continental breakfast they told us they had. However, may it be noted that this hotel does not offer continental breakfast they give you a few dollars off at the Green Mill, an rather expensive restaurant and they don't even give you enough for 1 dollar per person per day. This is by far the worst hotel I've stayed in and I've stayed in hotels in third world countries. I would advise you to stay at the holiday inn next door and just avoid this place all together.
Also, the estimate they gave us for the hotel and the actual price were way off. It ended up being an additional 90 dollars over what we budgeted for three rooms for three nights.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have not even arrived at the hotel and have received poor services in my attempt to bring a small group to Winona. I had to speak with several individuals regarding their rates. They refused to listen to my concerns and the manager told me I should cancel the reservations and go elsewhere.

I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My family went to visit our daughter in college, while staying there we found the pool area to cold, dark, and dirty. There were dead bugs floating in the childrens area and dead and alive boxelders on the pool deck area. The water was way to cold for my grandson to swim and that was the reason we choose this hotel. The beds are hard and not a goods night sleep. The greenmill also had very slow and subpar service took forever to get our food, and waitress rarely came to check on us. Overpriced for the service they deliver. Would not stay again with out first checking cleanliness and pool tempurature in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Beth S
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have stayed at The Plaza many times with our family of 6 while visiting family in Winona. We have stayed there multiple times a year for many years. Over the past year the rooms have become dirtier, staff have become ruder and the over all stay hasn't been good. We continued to go back because in the past it was good.

Over this past weekend (12/29/12) we stayed for one night. Within minutes of arriving in our room we noticed a long white pubic hair on the bed. Normally, I am not a big complainer but I did this time. The lady (who was friendly) at the front desk came up with a new blanket and was also pretty grossed out. The night went on and we got some horrible food from the green mill which we washed down with some soda that we brought. When I grabbed some from the fridge I noticed another nasty pubic hair in the FRIDGE! I didn't complain this time, yet. After dinner we went swimming in an ice cold pool and came back to the room shortly after for a nice shower. My two daughters were in the shower and within minuted the shower backed up with water and HAIRS! I called the front desk and the lady rushed up and said we could switch rooms or have a plumber come which she had no idea how long it would take. We switched rooms, but I showed her the attractive pubic hair in the fridge first.

So, we get in our new room and one of my daughters is in the shower and screams for me. I run in and she is covered in hives after using their shampoo, which has NO ingredients listed on it. By this point we are ready to pack up and drive the 100 miles home!

The next morning (this is kind of funny) we pick up the phone to call for breakfast and when my husband picks up the phone there is NO CORD! When we checked out we asked to talk to the manager and we were told to call her Wednesday. Today we called her and we were told NO REFUND because we already had a AAA discounted rate. She said you obviously aren't happy here so we'll part ways. My husband was trying to explain we have been very happy guest in the past but the past year the service has been horrible. She didn't want to hear it. She then said there was a hotel emergency and had to let him go. I can only imagine....

Next time we are going to the Riverport or Holiday Inn Express. I am hoping we have a better experience at one of those.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel is worth visiting. It gives you the feel of an older plush hotel with the fireplace in the lobby as well as several arm chairs and a large checkerboard. However, it is updated with large rooms and flat screen TVs. The staff is friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just staying in this hotel on 10/20/2012. Upon arrival was given the wrong room that was booked. Had a two bedroom suite booked and was given a two bed queen standard room!! Then the room was full of boxelder bugs, which to some extent was acceptable given the time of year but this was out of control--in the bed, on the picture frames, in the bathroom sink, got into my kids clothing!! Left note for general manager Jensen (who did not return a phone call) and was told that it wasn't her fault there were bugs all over so basically suck it up!! A good $150.00 wasted on bugs and dirtyness!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Tiffany A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona
The Charmant Hotel
The Charmant Hotel
#2 of 20 in La Crosse
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska

Been to The Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!