“The pampering never stops!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Alexander Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Winona B&B and Inns
Winona, Minnesota
“The pampering never stops!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was our fourth visit to Alexander Mansion Bed & Breakfast in seven months. We can not stop raving about this B & B. Richard is an impeccable host and the mansion itself is unbelievable to visit and enjoy. Upon arriving, Richard offered us soft drinks, two different types of wine, two kinds of crackers, and four kinds of cheese plus fresh fruit. What a welcome! His friendly conversation, advice for restaurants and activities while in Winona makes one feel as if they are in the company of a best friend. When we returned from dinner we found that Richard had left a night cap and chocolate for us to enjoy. This visit we spent two nights in Mary's room which was the former maid's room and one of the lower priced rooms. All of the rooms are beautifully decorated, feature luxurious linens, include every comfort needed, and Watkins' products. The four course breakfast is outstanding! All of the food is either homemade that morning or "garden fresh". It is a gourmet treat and shouldn't be missed. The table setting, decorations, and food are very elegant! Richard always has coffee or tea ready for early risers too. As spring has arrived in Minnesota the screened in porch and yard were wonderful to enjoy. If you really want the experience of a lifetime, do not miss the Alexander Mansion B & B. It is the ONLY place for us when visiting Winona and we are already looking forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: We have stayed in both Mary's room and Maude's room which feature queen sized beds. Maude...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Sleepy Hollow, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

We were in Winona on business, my first visit though my husband had been there previously, and were absolutely delighted with our choice to try the Alexander Mansion. Incredibly gracious hospitality and the proprietor, Richard, made us so welcome. It is a beautifully done Victorian mansion on a large piece of land that is stately and not dusty and overly stuffed as many Victorians can be - so you can actually see all of the wonderful things throughout. We had expected to be there by 3 in the afternoon and were delayed and Richard called about 3:30 to make sure all was well. When we did arrive he had a note on the door saying he'd be back shortly and to please make ourselves at home - wine in the library all ready for us. Parking was easy and there are several spaces for guests but street parking wouldn't have been a problem. We settled into the very comfortable chairs by the fireplace and picked up wonderful books and magazines in the room - a terrific variety of materials and perused the shelves that are full of Watkins products. I knew nothing of Watkins and the history but it's a Winona company and clearly beloved so that was fun to learn about. Richard was absolutely charming and took us to our room which was large and PINK and the most fussy and feminine room in the house. It was the original room of the daughter Martha and had many appropriate articles throughout. We had two very comfortable chairs and the room was well lit, full of windows, large and inviting. The bathtub was large and the towels were cozy. The toiletries were from Watkins and they were wonderful. There was no tv in our room but we could have easily had one and there was a radio set to classical music which suited us perfectly. We explored a bit of Winona and when we returned out bed was turned down and chocolates on sweet silver trays. We had been offered nightcaps and had declined but those would have been in the room as well. There is a generous refrigerator downstairs stocked with nonalcoholic beverages if we had wanted, too. Really, Richard was the most accommodating host imaginable. My husband had an early meeting so Richard had prepared his breakfast early - and what a feast. . I came back later in the morning and had my wonderful meal, 5 delicious courses, and then curled up again in the living room with yet another book and more coffee. There was a gorgeous fire and I was welcome to stay as long as I liked. I got a fabulous tour of the house and rooms and one thing that I kept noticing was how clean and pristine everything was. There is considerable pride of place here and it is evident that the home, history and town are celebrated. Richard is a great story teller and clearly loves it all. There is no question that we will be back - either for business or pleasure and knowing that Richard is there I can absolutely assure you that you are in for a rare and wonderful treat.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Martha room on the 2nd floor which is the most "frou frou" room by far. E...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Richard is an amazing host managing an amazing property. His attention to detail is unparalleled. From the wine reception to the immaculately appointed quarters to the five star breakfast this trip will be unforgettable.

Room Tip: Any room will be fantastic.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed at the Alexander Mansion in the Martha Alexander room last night for a business trip to Winona. Upon arrival, I was given a tour of the home and a celestial glass of chardonnay. Richard looked after my every need and was an extremely attentive host. My schedule dictated that I had to be in a nearby town at 8 a.m. the next day and I was unable to have breakfast with the other guests, but Richard made sure I was looked after by leaving a banana and a slice of cranberry loaf that he cut into bite sized pieces so that I would be able to eat in the car.

When I showed my husband the online pictures of the room into which I was booked at the Alexander Mansion, he began calling me "princess." While I might not be a real "princess" I can certainly say that I was treated as one at the Alexander Mansion. Please stay there, you will not regret it! --Carla H

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Carla H
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Located in a lovely part of Winona, this B&B oozes character. Richard, your host, is a gentleman from the old school.

All the public areas downstairs are high Victorian and make you feel quite grand.

The former home of a local tycoon, I was given his suite. The tester bed was very comfortable and luxurious.

The bathroom has been updated gently as it has the original white subway tiles, which I love.

The towels were lovely and the toiletries were by the excellent local brand, J.R Watkins.

Other than a TV and stereo, there are no other amenities in the room. There's limited parking onsite and free wifi throughout.

The suite came with a large sunroom which I used as my office.

Come evening and all the pillows and shams were removed from my bed and placed near the window seat...and a glass of Bailey's was left for my nightcap...perfect.

Breakfast in the sumptuous dining room was an extravaganza over which we all lingered way too long! It was hard to leave.

Definitely the place to stay in Winona.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ThePackedBag
Winona, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Elegant is the way you feel when staying at the Alexander Mansion B + B. This is our third visit over the last four months. It is “hands down” our very favorite place to stay. Richard is an impeccable host, greets guests with a smile, handshake, lovely decor and entertaining stories about the mansion and previous owners. From the wine served in front of a romantic fire in the library, to the nightcap/chocolate turndown service to the absolutely exquisite five course breakfast there can’t be a better place to stay. Richard has created a perfectly splendid B + B. When visiting Winona, MN, this is the ONLY place to be!

Room Tip: We have stayed in both Mary’s room and Maude’s room. Maude’s room is very large, has a fireplace, a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy D
Middleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

My family and I just stayed at this incredible bed and breakfast and we can't say enough about our stay. We had a late arrival and Richard greeted us with wine and great conversation. The breakfast was incredible. I'm afraid I might have created monsters as I'm not sure my Granddaughters will ever want to stay in another hotel. They won't stop talking about their rooms and the breakfast Richard served. Especially the surprise treat at the end of the breakfast hour. We will be back when we can stay more than one night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Linda W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona
The Charmant Hotel
#2 of 19 in La Crosse
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,340 reviews
Days Inn La Crosse Conference Center

Been to Alexander Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!