“Nothing compares” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexander Mansion Bed & Breakfast

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Alexander Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Winona B&B and Inns
Bloomington, Illinois
“Nothing compares”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Richard is an amazing host managing an amazing property. His attention to detail is unparalleled. From the wine reception to the immaculately appointed quarters to the five star breakfast this trip will be unforgettable.

Room Tip: Any room will be fantastic.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed at the Alexander Mansion in the Martha Alexander room last night for a business trip to Winona. Upon arrival, I was given a tour of the home and a celestial glass of chardonnay. Richard looked after my every need and was an extremely attentive host. My schedule dictated that I had to be in a nearby town at 8 a.m. the next day and I was unable to have breakfast with the other guests, but Richard made sure I was looked after by leaving a banana and a slice of cranberry loaf that he cut into bite sized pieces so that I would be able to eat in the car.

When I showed my husband the online pictures of the room into which I was booked at the Alexander Mansion, he began calling me "princess." While I might not be a real "princess" I can certainly say that I was treated as one at the Alexander Mansion. Please stay there, you will not regret it! --Carla H

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Carla H
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Located in a lovely part of Winona, this B&B oozes character. Richard, your host, is a gentleman from the old school.

All the public areas downstairs are high Victorian and make you feel quite grand.

The former home of a local tycoon, I was given his suite. The tester bed was very comfortable and luxurious.

The bathroom has been updated gently as it has the original white subway tiles, which I love.

The towels were lovely and the toiletries were by the excellent local brand, J.R Watkins.

Other than a TV and stereo, there are no other amenities in the room. There's limited parking onsite and free wifi throughout.

The suite came with a large sunroom which I used as my office.

Come evening and all the pillows and shams were removed from my bed and placed near the window seat...and a glass of Bailey's was left for my nightcap...perfect.

Breakfast in the sumptuous dining room was an extravaganza over which we all lingered way too long! It was hard to leave.

Definitely the place to stay in Winona.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ThePackedBag
Winona, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Elegant is the way you feel when staying at the Alexander Mansion B + B. This is our third visit over the last four months. It is “hands down” our very favorite place to stay. Richard is an impeccable host, greets guests with a smile, handshake, lovely decor and entertaining stories about the mansion and previous owners. From the wine served in front of a romantic fire in the library, to the nightcap/chocolate turndown service to the absolutely exquisite five course breakfast there can’t be a better place to stay. Richard has created a perfectly splendid B + B. When visiting Winona, MN, this is the ONLY place to be!

Room Tip: We have stayed in both Mary’s room and Maude’s room. Maude’s room is very large, has a fireplace, a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy D
Middleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

My family and I just stayed at this incredible bed and breakfast and we can't say enough about our stay. We had a late arrival and Richard greeted us with wine and great conversation. The breakfast was incredible. I'm afraid I might have created monsters as I'm not sure my Granddaughters will ever want to stay in another hotel. They won't stop talking about their rooms and the breakfast Richard served. Especially the surprise treat at the end of the breakfast hour. We will be back when we can stay more than one night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Linda W
Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have stayed at the Alexander Mansion twice in 2013, and plan on returning, again in 2014. The house, itself, is charming. The owner, Richard Grabow, made everything, just right for me. He picked me up at the Winona Amtrak Station, lights a fire in the fireplace on a chilly morning, has the best stories to tell, while I eat my breakfast. Breakfast, is perfect. He starts his guests with fresh fruit, homemade pastries, organic salads, and an entree, that comes out, piping hot, and delicious. Everyone, at the breakfast table, is introduced to each other, making everyone feel very welcome.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maggie T
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Alexander Mansion is a beautiful bed and breakfast home in Winona, MN. Everything was excellent from the moment I walked into this home. Richard gave me an incredible tour of the house He is very knowledgable with the historical information about the home and the surrounding area. The daily breakfast was an incredible 4 course meal that kept me going all day long. Kudos to the baker. Love Ruth, she is a wonderful person and very attentive. I plan on visiting this establishment again in the summer. Look forward to that visit. Thanks Richard, Ruth and the baker. Donna Fraser from PA.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in was wonderful. All rooms would be excellent. I took the tour and saw them al...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deeppurple651
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona
The Charmant Hotel
#2 of 19 in La Crosse
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,340 reviews
Days Inn La Crosse Conference Center

Been to Alexander Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!