Alexander Mansion Bed & Breakfast
$125
$130
$125
Travelocity
All reviewsb bturn down serviceother guestsscreened porchglass of winethe perfect hostnight capmulti courseirish creamtea roombed breakfastfrittataplace to stayfruit parfaitvery special placefull kitchenice cream sundae
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you wish to treat yourself to a wonderful experience, step back in time and make a reservation at Richard's Bed and Breakfast in Winona, Minnesota. The Alexander Mansion is a treasure, with each room decorated in true period fashion. Richard offers wine and cheese in the late afternoon. He was also very helpful making suggestions for a restaurant for dinner, ......and he was spot on!
Richard offered wine, water, pop and jelly beans in the evening as we watched an old 1950 musical. Breakfast is a multicourse breakfast that can only be described as amazing! It you have a dietary issue, Richard is very accommodating. I look forward to returning in warm weather, so that we can enjoy the lovely wrap around porch!

Room Tip: Richard's website show photos of each of the rooms. There is also a suite in the basement, which is more shabby chic. It was the apartment of the former owners.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kathyinmn
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The second you walk into the mansion you realize that every detail has been attended to while creating this incredible B & B!!!! Richard bends over backward to make your breakfast an engaging, delicious dining experience that typically is topped off by a chocolate sundae! If you want a WONDERFUL B & B experience with old world charm in a river town that has so much to offer - STAY WITH RICHARD at the ALEXANDER MANSION!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The place was just incredible, and so was the proprietor, Richard. He bent over backwards to serve the finest multiple-course breakfasts, made two pots of coffee - one strong, one weak - to accommodate differing tastes, got up unusually early to serve me coffee and a vegan breakfast before I had to leave for the day (for YogaFit teacher training at the YMCA), served unlimited wine at cocktail hour, and hand delivered a nightly nightcap to my room: fine liqueur accompanied by a dainty piece of dark chocolate, both served on individual silver trays. When I arrived, he walked out to my car and insisted on carrying my bags to my room. He offers unlimited free bottled water and pop. The mansion itself was stunningly gorgeous and impeccably kept. The common areas made me feel warm, cozy and absolutely relaxed - I actually wanted to spend time in them, especially the library with its magnificent fireplace which, during the cool of the evening displayed a lovely fire crackling with real wood. The wrap-around screened porch was no less comfortable than any of the indoor rooms and would be perfect for working, relaxing, reading, socializing or people watching. The landscaping was just as opulently pleasing to the eye as the indoor decor. Richard himself, who is extremely pleasant to talk to, consistently made me feel very well cared for and was never at a loss for suggestions of things to do or places to dine. All this for about the price I would have had to pay for a room at an ordinary hotel in downtown Winona. It was much, much more than I had expected - unbelievably fabulous!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I spent a weekend at this B&B Mansion that is completely restored in Victorian style. It is a beautiful place and nothing is too much for Richard. He takes care of the breakfast, which is special and all made fresh with organic veggies. He pours a nightcap with a nice chocolate and serves wine at happy hour. All included.
An incredible experience!
You need to like the ambiance.

Room Tip: We had Mary's room which is the maid's room and that was great.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

A two-night stay for our anniversary at the Alexander Mansion in Winona, MN, was a wonderful experience for us! A beautifully appointed Victorian home, the warm and welcoming feeling when we walked in the door won us over immediately. Owner and host, Richard, was charming and lent his hospitality experience and superb style to make our stay so enjoyable. Wine in the evening, cordials and chocolate at turndown (in a gorgeous suite!), and a wake up to a 4-course breakfast each day made for a very special time for us. We highly recommend this Bed & Breakfast to all who would appreciate being pampered in style!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple