“What an amazing art collection in Winona”

Minnesota Marine Art Museum
Ranked #1 of 37 things to do in Winona
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was blown away by this art museum. When we were there, there was a judged national exhibit on Marine art. All of these paintings were very good, but a few were something great. The permanent exhibit was so well curated, I read all of it and learned quite a bit. You must see this if you are in Winona.

1  Thank Dmdm10
DaveMMAM, Guest Relations Manager at Minnesota Marine Art Museum, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Minnesota Marine Art museum! Thank you for your kind words. The National Exhibition of the Society of Marine artists is only on display for a short time until July 23, so you came at a great time. If you liked our permanent masterworks collection, we are building a new gallery that will open in the fall of this year that will nearly double the exhibition space of our permanent collection. We will be splitting the European and American collections allowing us to put more paintings on display. There are always new and exciting things happening at the MMAM!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We visited on Friday, June 7, 2013 at about 10:30 am. The admission fee is $7.00 each and the front desk person was very helpful in answering questions. There was only one other couple in the gallery at the same time as us. Quiet and you can take you time to get very close to the paintings.

Don't tell anyone, but this museum has world renowned works of art from Monet, Picasso, Renoir, the Wyeths and many other masters! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would see these masterpieces outside of Paris or New York. A great collection.

While those famous artists' pieces are in the permanent collection, the museum does have other, rotating exhibits. This summer the focus is on the National Exhibition of the American Society of Marine Artists. This featured over 100 contemporary artists and showed various vessels, depictions of war with sailing ships, and the simple beauty of the water. This was fantastic!

We will bring friends and family here and introduce them to this midwest gem.

2  Thank Steve0315
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I was surprised to find a Picasso, Rembrandt, Monet, Matisse, and several other artists whose names I recognized despite having little background in art history or appreciation. There was a surprising number of paintings for such a small museum, and even better they have free Tuesdays for students. I took my niece and my student ID and we both got in for free! It's not exactly the Minneapolis Institute of the Arts, but for a town the size of Winona I was impressed. Even at the full price of $7 for adults it's worth checking out for an hour or two of culture.

1  Thank Kery E
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Free parking, take the teenagers even. The artwork is top notch. If you are in the Winona area you need to add this to your trip.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had read some good reviews but still found that it more than met our expectations for an art museum in southeastern Minnesota. The traveling collection from the state historical society was splendid. The number of artist represented was impressive though we would have enjoyed more three dimensional art pieces.

DaveMMAM, Guest Relations Manager at Minnesota Marine Art Museum, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to the Minnesota Marine Art Museum. If you enjoy three dimensional art, we have some upcoming exhibitions you might want to check out. Starting in June we have artwork from the American Association of Marine Artists that will feature several three dimensional pieces. Later in the fall, starting November 1, we will have an entire gallery of folk art wood carvings from local artists Leo and Marilyn Smith. Thanks again! -Dave, Visitor Experience Manager