“Was charged twice for a prepaid reservation!”
Review of Super 8 Winona MN

Super 8 Winona MN
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Winona
Reviewed September 9, 2012

When I was checking out the hotel employee asked for my credit card and I told her alright but this was a prepaid reservation from Amtrak and I didn't make any phone calls. She said "What?" and gave me a dumbfounded look, then I repeated, "This was a prepaid reservation through Amtrak and I didn't make any phone calls" and sure enough she swiped my credit card and charged me again, this took a long time, she had time to think about what I had just said to her, but she didn't say anything else to me, I could see if she had told me she didn't think it was prepaid. Yeah, I was angry!

Room Tip: Ask for the 2nd or 3rd floor, the first floor has a view of car tires over your window, a car could...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Winona MN

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Nichols Inn is now a Super 8, but it's a fairly recent change. We were in town for a basketball tournament and stayed one night. The worst part of the experience was finding out I overpaid Expedia for the room. Standard room rate at the hotel, as noted on the arrival paperwork was lower than the "Best Rate" I had to pre-pay Expedia! I took that up with Expedia...

PROS: Location was nice if you want a view and are given a second level room. Rate is reasonable, even great if you pay the Hotel standard rate.

MEDIOCRE: Breakfast is typical Continental cheap breakfast, but okay since it's free with room.

CONS: Smells like stale cigarette smoke when you walk in the door. Non-smoking and accessible rooms are in first level, partially below ground level. When someone lights up a cigarrette in another nearby smoking room, you get a whiff in your non-smoking room.

I don't think we will stay at this hotel again if visiting the area in the future.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct if you want the best rate, Expedia and Hotwire will charge you $20 more than h...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Agree with others that you get what you pay for. I stayed with my family for two nights for Steamboat Days. Our room was damp, the room was musty, and pretty undesirable to spend a lot of time in. Breakfast was fine... my kids liked the donuts and cereal. It was a very typical continental breakfast although there is a waffle maker. The staff were all friendly- no complaints there. Small bathroom. My husband noticed small bugs in the window (we were half below ground in our room so it wasn't too surprising). Checked the mattresses and did a quick google search to be sure they weren't bed bugs (they were not), killed them, and moved on. Needless to say, not an ideal overnight stay. I'll splurge for the AmericInn or Holiday Inn next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Visited my daughter at Winona State for the weekend. Good price! No frills but a continental breakfast and clean, quiet room on the back side of hotel next to Sugarloaf Bluff. Wireless was a little weak in the room but could pick it up strong in the lobby over a free cup of coffee.

Room Tip: Choose the back side away from the parking lot and Hwy 61.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2012

You get what you pay for. This is a low budget hotel. Thin walls, thin doors, thin floors. Non smoking rooms smell musty and smell like they were once smoking rooms. Dirty floors, holey mattresses, unwashed linens when I got there. Didn't have my reservation when I checked in.

Room Tip: Choose second or third floor. First floor is below ground. Rooms on the south side might be quiete...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Price was right
Basic room, coffee pot, hot water
Wi-fi
Clean? Ok-keep your socks on
basic breakfast, getting really good with the waffle machine.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Stayed a couple of nights. Easy to reach, good parking, close to shopping mall. Rooms have a decent size, bathroom and carpets seemed fairly clean. Working WiFi even at the end of the building. Free breakfast is better than in other hotels of similar price range. Service is quite friendly once you get them going. Overall: for the price ($65.00 plus taxes) definitely worth it. Would probably stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing main road (can be a bit noisy).
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business