“Great views from the trails!”

Great River Bluffs State Park
Ranked #6 of 38 things to do in Winona
More attraction details
Owner description: Overlooking the Mississippi River, this park offers scenic views.
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Our family of four stopped here for one night on our way to Yellowstone.We made reservations online due to the July 4th weekend.We reserved campsite number 10 which was only a few feet from the bathroom.Bathrooms were extremely clean and each had two nice showers.
Our family did two trail runs to the North,South,and East overlook.Well worth the short hike even if your not a runner.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
in 12 reviews
in 10 reviews

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I have gone camping together every summer for the past 3 years, while bringing along our beagle each time. We have been to different camp sites within Minnesota each year. This year my husband put in a lot of time researching possible places to go since we were now bringing two beagles with us ( we had adopted another). He found Great River Bluffs State Park, located only 2.5 hours from where we live. Starting from the beginning, the drive up was very easy and the park entrance was well marked. When we pulled into the park we headed up to the firewood and parking permit station. I personally was a little surprised at first that we were to pay for parking, however, I realized that the campsite cost was reasonable, and I do want MN parks to have the funding to maintain their environment. Besides the parking permit was only $5 per day. After arriving to the campsite, we found that our beagles noticed our campsite neighbors had a dog. They started their barking much to our dismay. Looking around my husband and I noticed a vacant lot. We traveled back up to the front desk to ask if we could switch spots. The park employees were cheerful and very accommodating-making the site register go smoothly. They also made sure for other campers that our dogs would not bark if we moved. Soon after moving sites, we unpacked. The site we stayed in was gorgeous and tucked away behind trees and bushes. There was a large space for our tent, the picnic table was movable (not something that’s always available), and the fire pit had a grate that could be set over the flames for cooking (something my husband is fond of, but hasn’t always found).

We set out on our first walk through the site, which led us to one of the overlooks. We were able to walk through a forest with clear walking paths and look over incredible views of the Mississippi river, lush rolling hills, and valleys for as far as the eye could see. During the weekend we were able to hike for 15miles going on three-four different paths. Each walking path gave a new view, new perspective, while consistently keeping the breath-taking reaction. Over all I would recommend this site. It’s a great place right in the MN’s backyard, where you can still feel like you may be states away. I would love to go back again.

3  Thank Sarah O
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great River Bluffs State Park is a well maintained state park near the Wisconsin/Minnesota border. There are wonderful scenic views of the Mississippi River Valley, and great hikes for summertime, or snowshoeing and cross country skiing during the winter. If you are looking for a shorter hike, this is your park. There are benches along the way to rest, and signs telling you where you are in the park, and explaining some of the wildlife, vegetation, and geography of the land. Most trails can be completed in under 2 hours.

2  Thank OutsideTheBoxTravel
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Walked to the look outs, they are breath taking, the picnic areas are great.....just loved it up there....check it out :)