“Amazing Establishment”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Hessenford
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The staff here are brilliant and nothing is a problem for them. The b&b is good and the rooms are clean.
The food is outstanding.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (313)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We ate at this pub restaurant on the last day of our holiday, the food was amazing and we only wish we had discovered it earlier in the week as we most certainly would have returned. We overheard a New Zealand visitor sitting near us tell the staff that he had just eaten the best mussels ever!

MICHAEL B, Owner at Copley Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here to break up a holiday journey. Nice pub in a lovely area. The food and room were good. Staff were friendly and very efficient, it turned out to be an ideal choice. Even popped into Looe from the bus stop directly outside.

MICHAEL B, Owner at Copley Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - we appreciate it, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Best wishes,

Reviewed September 8, 2019

Nice pub, nice location. Food is average at best. Ordered from the specials board!! Hake burger, with squid rings and chips, first off I broke my tooth and lost my filling on the first bite of my squid, there was something very hard in the batter!!! I told the waitress who was about 16 she didnt know what to do so she laughed and walked away. The barman came to the table and asked what had happened, I explained he said there was no way it could have been the squid, and that was that no apologies nothing. Back to the food!!! Poor quality dry tasteless hake, the chips were like the scraps you get from the chip shop, my experience of the Copley Arms cost me £33 for food I didnt eat, my wife only ate half of hers as the veg was undercooked and I now have a dentist bill!! I can safely say I wont be going back. Some staff training may be a good idea to help the kids on shift deal with customer issues, I watched the table next to me as the young guy took the plates away he dropped the knife and fork and some food down the jacket of the customer, he looked down and walked away didnt even come back with a cloth, the customer used napkins to clean his coat!!!

Dear Paul K,

I am genuinely sorry to hear that this was your experience. We have indeed taken on some younger members of staff recently, a few of which are on apprenticeships, and therefore, are learning on the job. There can be a lack of confidence in knowing how best to deal with dissatisfied customers, however, this is something we are working on with our younger members of the team.

With regards to the squid, I can't work out what could have been in it to have caused your teeth to fall out, I only wish you had asked for a member of the management team at the time, so we could have taken it into our kitchen for examination, and dealt with your complaint in the best possible way.

We do hope that in the future, you consider returning, so that we can make your experience what it should be!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2019

I've driven past this pub more times than I care to remember and each time thought "I must pop in there"...

Although it's on a quite busy road, it has a lovely outside bit of seating alongside the stream. Car parking a bit tight over a small bridge.

It's also about a 2 mile walk through the woods from Seaton.

Inside nice enough. Slightly olde worlde feel but nothing spectacular.

Typical pub food, pub menu and pub prices. Nothing wrong with that but again, nothing special. Nice enough. I would say that the food erred on the calorific side and also when we were there, there were no specials. A word of warning. the desserts are massive and unless extremely hungry I'd suggest splitting them between two (esp for kids). Also it can get busy so you might want to book.

Service was fine, if slow-ish (rather than slow as others have mentioned).

Special mention for the beer. They have a good range from St Austell Brewery kept well.

Probably worth a second visit as I suspect the specials would have improved things.

Date of visit: August 2019
MICHAEL B, Owner at Copley Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your review! Sorry to hear that you found the bridge hard to navigate - we have had a couple of people struggle, so you're not the only one! Having said that, as long as the bridge is approached at a reasonable speed, there's plenty of room, and then over the quaint bridge, we have our main car park, which has an additional 30 spaces.

I do apologize that on the evening you visited, we had no specials. We usually have lunch specials, and then during the cross over period, we write up our evening specials. I do seem to remember that there were a couple of evenings in September that we didn't have a specials board in the evening, as there was no cross over period as such, and the kitchen staff were extremely busy, prepping for our extensive main menu.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed our beer so much! St Austell brewery do a fantastic range of traditional ales, and we pride ourselves on how well we keep them, so your recognition of this, is hugely appreciated!

I really look forward to welcoming you back for your second visit, and I'm almost certain we will have our specials board up in the bar.....

Thanks again,