“You had me at family owned...”

Ban Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Hugo, Minnesota, United States
“You had me at family owned...”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Friendly, quaint, always great food. Not much atmosphere, but then I go for the food, not the atmosphere.

• Visited November 2013

Punta Gorda, Florida
“Always Great - Dine In or Take Away”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is a family run business. The owners are very friendly and great cooks. We have dined in and done carry-out on many occasions. They have a great menu. One of our favorites in White Bear Lake !!!

Visited December 2013
Maplewood, Minnesota
“Don't judge a book by it's cover”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Walking in 2 things made me question why I was here.
It has a very simple almost take out abience. Also we were told even with an almost empty restuarants we would have to wait 1.25 hours.
This was a special engagement dinner so we chose to stay.
That is the best thing we ever did as far as food goes.
We got beers and appetizers very quickly and our order was taken with the same efficient manner by the husband of the owner.
There were 6 of us 2 vegetarians the rest of us enjoying a range of foods.
Our meals came in less than 45 minutes and every one was truely made to order. There was only one comment made about the food that was not gushing " I wish I had ordered it a little hotter"
every dish was unique.
There was never a feeling of it's the same sauce in different dishes.
Oh, and the wait time. He was honest with his customers never overloaded the kitchen and so allowed the food to really shine.
Would I go again, YES even if I have to wait. This is the best Thai food I have ever tasted.
I might ever try a takeout especially knowing I should order well in advance and the drive will be well worth it.
Please if like Thai food try it I am sure you too will love it

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank GeoffandLaura
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
“Very Happy”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had a very pleasant experience with dinner at Ban Thai this week. We found the host and his daughter very charming, the service was fast and the food was great. We had many questions about the menu and everything was cheerfully explained and we were very happy with the choices recommended. Will look forward to our next visit.

• Visited August 2013
Bayport, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst Thai I have ever had”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stopped and got take out last night. I have to say this was one of the worst experiences we have ever had eating Thai food. I didn't even save the leftovers for today that is how bad it was. Someone had said in a pervious review that the egg rolls are the best. There was so much pepper in the egg rolls that is all you could taste. The Pad Thai was soggy and tasted like it had tomato sauce in it. The pineapple fried rice was also mushy and horrible flavor. Also not sure if the owner was the one that took the order but man, try being friendly and smile it goes a long way. Sam Thai in White Bear is a much friendlier place and the food is fresher and tastes a hell of a lot better.

• Visited March 2013