“Great food & beer”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This is a great spot with a variety of excellent food and several good beers. Great staff. This is a place that I go out of my way to get to; It's worth it.

There are newer reviews for Washington Square Bar & Grill

Reviewed March 5, 2014

This restaurant remains a family favorite. The food is consistent, the servers and staff friendly and efficient! The atmosphere is so comfortable with a fire in the fireplace in 2 of the three rooms, it is a fun atmosphere for lunch or dinner. Great selection of beers and a wonderful ambience throughout the entire place, not matter where you are seated

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We have lived in the area for quite some time and we do enjoy an occasional trip to the Washington Square Grill. They have a very unique atmosphere….great patio in the summer, wood fire going in the winter and overall, it is an inviting place to have drinks and convene with family and friends. In fact, it is one of the few good places to have drinks in downtown White Bear Lake.

The food however, just isn't that great. There are so many restaurants that do sandwiches, soups, salads and mexican fare much better than this. Maybe the menu is too large and because it does get very busy, they can't consistently put out great food? I always say, just do burgers and bar type food REALLY well. Have hand cut french fries and rave about how great they are. Talk about your one or two soups that are homemade - but don't have 15 types of chicken sandwiches and then do a mediocre job at all of them.

Also, we frequently bring our kids there and while it is loud and easy to blend in, they really don't like the food. The kids spaghetti with marinara is almost like an adult pasta…linguini with chunks of tomatoes?

I will say their tater tots good :) So, if you are going for drinks (they have a great beer selection) and a fried appetizer - it's a great place. Just don't expect to be blown away by your meal.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

The value was good as the food portions are large. It's clear that they are saving money by refilling the Heinz ketchup bottles as the bottles were filthy inside and out, the labels were almost washed off and the flavor of the red paste inside was foul. If you go to this place either bring your own ketchup or ask for a side of ranch.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I walked in and was supposed to be going to a meeting but none of my compatriots were around so I sat down at the bar. I was met with a very knowledgeable bartender that was able to recommend a fantastic local brew that fit my requested taste.

I was made to feel like a regular, a friend that frequented the bar. The guys next to me were having a grand time trying to one-up each other on buying shots for the three of them. They asked me if I wanted to be included, which I graciously declined.

The bartender would regularly check on my beer progress, filled me in on their vast whiskey selections, and made small talk until I told him that I was there for a meeting... that was supposedly starting 15 minutes ago, at the establishment, and that it was a regular thing. She adroitly stated that there was a mix up in my timing- AM instead of PM! What a fool am I!

I had another beer while pondering my dilemma, ordered some fantastic fish & chips, and left feeling that I was gong to be met with the same friendly service the next time I go there.