“Fab food, excellent service and warm and comfortable interior.”

The Chequers Pub & Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers Pub & Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Westoning
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Chequers is a great Pub in the heart of Westoning, just off Junction 12 of the M1. A great place to eat, drink and relax. No pool tables or fruit machines just good old fashioned pub values with a quality food offering.
Astwood, null, United Kingdom
“Fab food, excellent service and warm and comfortable interior.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I don't always comment on restaurants or places Ive visited but really felt I needed to share the wonderful experience we have had here. A fabulous ambiance, wonderful food, friendly and attentive staff. we will definitely return.

• Visited November 2013
Philip K, Owner at The Chequers Pub & Kitchen, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Marie-

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your visit to us- it really does make our day when we read such positive comments! Really glad we looked after you so well and to hear that you will be returning again soon.
Looking foward to seeing you!

England
“Food on Board”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Having experienced a good meal at The Bell in Westoning we thought we would give it a return visit on Monday. What a diffence! We entered, there were two people in the bar, the place felt cold, I ordered a coffee and a pint of beer and asked for the menu. 'We don't do food on Mondays' was the comment, too late for me as I had already ordered the drinks! It would have helped if an A board stating this fact had been displayed outside the pub. I noticed the carpet, new on our previous visit was frayed and worn on a step into the restaurant area which could have been dangerous if anyone caught there heel in it. Whilst we drank a family with a young boy entered, they too ordered drinks then asked for food, same as us - trapped. Before we had finished another couple came in thay asked for food first, I said 'No, apparently there is no call for it!' We then left and fortunately found The Chequers. Here I had a really good pint of Adhams £3.10 the wife a cappuccino £2.10 for lunch she had mature Cheddar with rocket and tomatoe and I had the ham ciabatta these were served on a wooden board with a small bucket of really good chips. The staff were friendy, cheery and cooperative, the food excellant, total bill for lunch £17.00, can't be bad. The ambience was good and relaxing, even though serving finished at 3pm we didn't feel rushed, will come again, even on a Monday! As we left I noted a man at the bar whom I had just sen at The Bell!

• Visited November 2013
Philip K, Owner at The Chequers Pub & Kitchen, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
I'm so glad you managed to find your way down the road to us and that you were able to take advantage of The Chequer's lunchtime offering. We aim to offer great quality food for good value and it's great to hear you enjoyed yourselves and felt realxed and well looked after by our staff. I certainly hope we'll be seeing you again regularly- on any day of the week!

London, United Kingdom
“Great stop, just off the M1 for Working Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Was travelling up from Welwyn Garden City after a meeting to Birmingham was going to stop at the usual services but wanted to work and have a nice lunch. Basically found this Pub by mistake. Staff friendly and Food great. Free internet access with good speed. We were there for a couple of hours and didn't want to leave. Next time traveling up M1 will stop here no more service stations for me. If I lived closer I would like to have an evening meal menu good great.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank guest106
Philip K, Owner at The Chequers Pub & Kitchen, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Hello and thank you very much for your lovely review. We’re certainly very glad you stumbled across us by mistake and that we made your visit such an enjoyable one! Do stop by and see us next time you’re in the area- we’d love to see you again.
Luton
“What lovely people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We visited for Sunday Lunch yesterday with my Wifes elderly wheelchair bound Mother. These occasions can be very challenging as many people with disabled relatives or friends will appreciate. Not at the chequers however. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful from the moment we arrived. We wanted to move my Mother in Law from her wheelchair to a more comfortable dining chair for lunch. The owner went and got a high backed chair with arms from another table so that she would be as comfortable as possible and once the tricky manoeuver had been accomplished they spirited away her wheelchair until we came to leave. When our main course arrived my wife as is usual began to cut up my Mother in Laws mountain of delicious looking roast beef into more manageable pieces for her. No sooner had she begun than a really sweet young woman who we discovered to be the Proprietors wife Vicky came over and said "let me do that for you otherwise yours will get cold". This was despite the fact that the place was full with other customers and so it went on.
This is a really nice Pub/ Restaurant with great staff, caring owners, a really nice atmosphere and great food! We had a wonderfully relaxing meal and can't wait to return.
Thank you to all at the Chequers!

• Visited October 2013
Thanks Hugo for your kind comments. I’m so happy to hear we made you and your family feel so welcome. We like to make all of our customers feel as relaxed and as at home as possible and also to make their visit hassle free. It’s great to hear we got it right for you and I certainly hope we’ll be welcoming all of you back to The Chequers very soon indeed.
Kempston, United Kingdom
“A beautiful relaxing atmosphere with fantastic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I met my friend there today for lunch having seen lots of good reviews and it was worth the visit. Beautifully furnishef with comfortable chairs. Cosy open fires and even little rooms with a few tables in. Food was delish. Espesh the homemade scotcheggs with picallily. I will definitely be visiting again. Shame we dont have a nice pub like this in flitwick and its only down the road....

• Visited October 2013
Hello Fay-
Great to hear you like our new cosy interior and that your first experience with us lived up to expectations! We’re really tried to make the pub a welcoming environment for everyone so nice to get your approval. Please pop in and see us again soon- we’ll shortly be tweaking our menu for Winter and our popular Scotch-Egg will feature as one of our new starter dishes.
Regards,