“A beautiful relaxing atmosphere with fantastic food”

The Chequers Pub & Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers Pub & Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Westoning
Cuisines: European, Italian, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Chequers is a great Pub in the heart of Westoning, just off Junction 12 of the M1. A great place to eat, drink and relax. No pool tables or fruit machines just good old fashioned pub values with a quality food offering.
Kempston, United Kingdom
“A beautiful relaxing atmosphere with fantastic food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I met my friend there today for lunch having seen lots of good reviews and it was worth the visit. Beautifully furnishef with comfortable chairs. Cosy open fires and even little rooms with a few tables in. Food was delish. Espesh the homemade scotcheggs with picallily. I will definitely be visiting again. Shame we dont have a nice pub like this in flitwick and its only down the road....

• Visited October 2013
Philip K, Owner at The Chequers Pub & Kitchen, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Hello Fay-
Great to hear you like our new cosy interior and that your first experience with us lived up to expectations! We’re really tried to make the pub a welcoming environment for everyone so nice to get your approval. Please pop in and see us again soon- we’ll shortly be tweaking our menu for Winter and our popular Scotch-Egg will feature as one of our new starter dishes.
Regards,

Bedford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“How a pub restaurant should be...”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Firstly, the reservation system is excellent, being able to book a table from their website. This means I can book when I like (remember), rather than when the pub is open. We received a very warm welcome from the manager and this continued through the meal with all the staff being very accomodating and friendly. The menu is excellent; not too many choices but these are supported by a good Specials selection. I'd rather see several dishes prepared well rather than too many just attempted. The food was excellent and reasonable priced. The perfect pub restaurant for us. We will definately be back.

• Visited October 2013
Thank you very much for the great review Martin- a really great compliment and very much appreciated. We hope to make everyone feel welcome at The Chequers so nice to hear we’re doing that right. You’re completely right in that our menu aims not to be pretentious or fanciful but to offer a decent selection of dishes which are made with the very best of produce and cooked to an excellent standard. Pop back and see us soon and do say hello when you do.
Bedford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First class, recommended”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went for our daughters 16th birthday celebration, Whole dining experience - Excellent.
Food superb, service superb, Philip, the owner, could not do enough for my daughter and our party. We all had a really great evening. The decor is fresh, classy and modern and it is a very busy restaurant so the owner must be doing something right! Customer service was spot on and the attention for our large party was second to none, something you don’t come by in restaurants sadly nowadays. Try the cocktails, made by a specialist! Will certainly be dining there again.

• Visited October 2013
Hello- so glad you enjoyed your night at The Chequers and that your daughter had a good birthday with us. Our staff are well trained but it’s always reassuring to hear we’re getting it right for people and I’ll certainly pass on your lovely comments to them as well. The cocktails are a passion of mine so always happy to oblige on that front!
Addlestone
“Lovely Sunday Roast”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Met up with friends that picked this location as being half way, not knowing what to expect we turned up to very freindly and welcoming staff. Once our friends arrived they told us our table was ready when we were. We all opted for the roast being a Sunday and we were not dissapointed, there was plenty of meat with a selection on vegetables and roast potatoes on a root purree, very nicely served and all hot! We followed with cheese and biscuits and puddings, again all lovely. Our waitress was very happy and accomodating. we will definately be meeting our friends here again!

• Visited October 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed your first visit to us Cathy and that our Sunday Roast impressed you so much! Our chefs work really hard and it’s really nice to be able to pass on such positive feedback to them. Glad also to hear you received a nice welcome and service with a smile. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
bedford
“Overpriced and left feeling hungry.”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Went to The Chequers for Sunday lunch with a few friends after hearing some good reviews and also as it's had a refit.
Nice decor and good atmosphere. Started with drinks, my pint of Old Speckled Hen was awful, cloudy, flat and had a nasty aftertaste. I did mention this to the waitress and she just took it away, no offer of not charging for it.
The starters seemed overpriced so we went straight to the mains. Two of us had the roast beef which was quite chewy and also a very small portion. The chidren had pizzas which were ok and the rest of us had different meals from the menu which were average in taste at best and once again very small portions. Due to this none of us ordered a dessert and most probably won't bother coming back again.
The staff weren't that attentive either.
It's a shame as the pub really does look good and has a buzzy atmosphere but the overpriced and average food really let's it down.

• Visited October 2013
Philip K, Owner at The Chequers Pub & Kitchen, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello

Please accept my sincerest apologies about your visit to us. I am very disappointed that you said you will not be returning.

We did indeed have a problem with the Old Speckled Hen and so I have sent the whole barrel back but it seems too late in this case. I have also called Green King and have tried speaking to Rooney Annan, the CEO, about the shocking quality of the beer sent to me. I am now in the process of looking for a new beer.

I will be talking to the staff about being more attentive and ensuring that any issues are brought to my attention as soon as they happen you certainly should not of been charged for the beer and I will happily refund the money or give you a free beer if you visit us again.

We will also look into all of your complaints in great detail and improve where we can.

We are only two months old and always aim to get things 100% right but I do apologise that we have not succeeded on this occasion.

Please feel free to call me on 01525 712967 so if you would like to discuss the matter further.

Kind Regards