“Local Steak House Downtown Wayzata”

Gianni's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Gianni's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 46 Restaurants in Wayzata
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by a friend. We went there specifically for their dry aged steak. The meat was tender but not very flavorful. We had been trying to find a steak similar to the one we had while in Cancun at Harry's Steak and Seafood. This steak did not come close. The mixed salad was good, the letttuce was very fresh. We did not order the tableside salad I also ordered charred Brussel sprouts. These were also a disappointment. They were baby size but lacked flavor. The best part of the meal was the dessert, we had butterscotch pudding with sea salt caramel. This was one of the best desserts I have ever had. The texture was very creamy and the combination of flavors were outstanding. I would return to this restaurant and try another steak and definitely would order the pudding again. The atmosphere was very pleasant. Parking is an issue, but valet parking is available.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hard to know how to review this "core" restaurant in Wayzata. I use to love going. The view of the lake is wonderful, the mainstreet to stroll on before or after the visit to Gianni's is also still a charmer. You can grab a glass of wine at a neighboring venue, e.g. Blue Point, or a cup of coffee at Caribou or Starbucks. They are all there! The food at Gianni's is also still pretty good. My husband and I share a Porterhouse steak and of course, partake in their tableside spun salad (a signature). I get stuck on the ambiance. The bar area has become what looks like the new pick up place for people in their late 40's and early 50's. I wouldn't say "Courgar town" as the women hanging out there aren't going to catch a younger man, but certainly looking for that newly single older gentleman who can keep her "comfortable". It was a bit uncomfortable, as a married couple, within the bar area, while waiting for our table. I suggest grabbing a pre-cocktail or wine at one of the neighboring restaurants. The new McCormicks is a fun place to try, and I already mentioned Blue Point. Again, however, the food was still really good.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

You always know you will eat well and be served well at Gianni's. The staff is professional, the quality of food very good. We do miss Suzanne the magician however. Great bar scene. Outdoor seating expansion in the summer makes for a wonderful summer meal.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Friends invited us so we felt we couldn't really complain during the dinner but we won't be returning or recommending this establishment. There are better steakhouses in the Twin Cities that cost less in addition to my own kitchen. The much raved about tableside salad was over-dressed and soggy serving Romaine hearts with standard "choose-your-own" salad bar additions. Standard ingredients, nothing above average, not even exceptional croutons. It certainly wasn't the highlight of the meal. The bread basket was very standard fare including thin slices of baguette, toasted slices of the same baguette with cheese on it and pretzel rolls. I ordered the cedar-planked salmon and my husband the petite filet and the sides were the stuffed hash browns and broccoli. The petite filet at $36 was the smallest 6-ounce fillet we've ever seen, it was laughable. We're not out for big portions, but this was price-gouging. It didn't taste up to snuff or wonderful. We routinely buy a 4-pack of wonderful filet mignon at Costo for less than $36 that beat this piece hands down. The bernaise sauce served alongside was as thick as mayo and cool, not even lukewarm. My fish came looking lackluster with no appetite appeal or garnish at all and it was not seasoned and was overcooked. I like my fish cooked through, but not dry and this was dry and tasteless and for $28 was a waste. The cedar planks have seen better days and did not infuse any cedar flavor into the salmon. The cucumber sauce alongside was bland and tasteless---a little salt would have helped. The shared broccoli side dish came as a bowl of small overcooked, soft, almost mushy florets, not crisp-tender as most steakhouses serve it and it is usually served in the form of broccoli spears. The stuffed hash brown cake was good, but bland and we were all reaching for the salt shaker. Our friends had lamb chops and also the salmon. Service was just fine, no problems at all. I think I've had better steak and fish in med-range chain restaurants than here---really a travesty what they charge for the quality and value.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

First off the service was second to none. Our server was Mike and he was very attentive. We let him pick the wine. A great Italian red. Our steaks were perfectly cooked and delicious. The hash brown potato side dish is incredible. The portion size was very good. We actually left with enough food for another meal! If you like steak and great atmosphere go to this restaurant. Don't waste your time dealing with downtown Minneapolis. This is the spot for a nice evening out. And ask for Mike he will take care of you.