“Essential stop for fans of Little House on the Prairie”
Review of Ingalls' Homestead

More attraction details
Owner description: This recessed mark in the land that was once a dugout, served as the home of Laura Ingalls and family.
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Sweet. See the homestead; have a buckboard ride to the little schoolhouse; and have a lesson from the schoolmarm. It's a great experience for kids and grownups who love Laura Ingalls Wilder's books. Worth the detour. Brought my mom and she loved it.

3  Thank etsmith

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The owners have kept it just like they found it. Great place to visit if you have read the books.

1  Thank Kristi S
Reviewed July 26, 2011

this is a must-see historic site for serious Little House fans - but not much to see for everyone else. The farm on the Banks of Plum Creek just outside of town, where the Ingalls family homesteaded and lived in a dugout, has been privately owned for many years. The family who live there allow visitors to access their land to view the collapsed creek bank where the dug-out was located in the 1870's. There is a historic marker at the site and some other landmarks are identified.There is also a nice picnic area.

1  Thank lifestartsat50
Reviewed June 2, 2011

In May, 2011, me and a few friends visited Walnut Grove, MN during a road trip. My sister and I are big fans of the Laura Ingles Wilder stories. We were extremely excited about having lunch at Nelly's Diner, shopping at Oleson's Mercantile, visiting the museum and the dugout, and swimming in Plum Creek! But, the town was a ghost town! Everything was run down and poorly maintained. I was very disappointed! It was NOTHING like the website made it out to be. We had planned on camping at the campground near Plum Creek, and it was ok (nothing to write home about). However, the weather was not suitable. We then had to drive another 45 minutes to find a decent place to stay. We had planned to stay for two days here. Instead, we decided to continue our trip the next morning and drive straight to Tennessee (approximately 19 hours). We didn't visit any of the sites during our visit because it simply wasn't worth our time! Sadly, I don't have any pictures. But, trust me; it's a long stretch of road leading to a whole bunch of nothing!

4  Thank simply_me100
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Enjoyed our visit in Walnut Grove. The inside displays are similar to the Mansfield, MO setup but we enjoyed Walnut Grove more due to the self tour you can take, it allows you to spend all the time you want in all of the displays including the dugout home and you don't have to stay with the tour guide like Mansfield. We also enjoyed the additional tv display room that none of the other locations have, it kind of brings everything together. This is a must visit to any Laura Ingall's fan.

6  Thank Peperosso