“Birthday Celebration - So So Experience at Dancing Fire”

Dancing Fire Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 27 Restaurants in Walker
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our evening plan was to meet another couple here for a Birthday DInner. We arrived first, and approached the restaurant entrance. I stood there at the Maitre d'/recpeption stand and watched 4 employees talking near the bar in the back of the restaurant....wait, wait, wait, finally one of them approached; a young woman.

The greeting was less welcoming than expected, but she promptly showed us to a table to wait. Since it was winter, we both had heavy coats on, but no suggestion was offered as to what to do with them. I subsequently discovered a coat rack outside, near the entrance, that might have been recommended in a more service-oriented encounter.

The other couple arrived, and we ate dinner. My wife's walleye was tasty and well prepared; my Halibut was very dry -- likely from two long in the freezer even though they advertised that it is fileted on site (doubtful!). My comment on that to the waitress went unanswered; she was not even a bit concerned that it might not be up to standards, or that Management (notably absent from the premise as far as I could tell) might want to offer something as an offset.

The other couple had a beef tenderloin and a rack of lamb; both reported them as good. We finished with a cheesecake, that was just average and not much taste.

During the meal we had two bottles of wine, a Kendall Jackson Chard that was priced at $30, which is a bit higher than normal for KJ, and a BV blend. Both were fine, though I think a bit pricey for the location.

Atmosphere is OK in this small dining room, but be prepared: Families with kids can drop in any time and may not appreciate the ambience this place trys to offer. Also, patrons may come in from the casino in jeans and whatever, often smelling of smoke. (Yes, the Casino -- unfortunately -- is considered to be Indian Land, and thus exempt from Minnesota's smoking regulations. (That kept us from going there after dinner, as none of us enjoy smoke1)

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Wonderful resturant. Food was as good as any 5 star. Presentation was great. very attractive tables. Did not care for casino as much because of the smoke. It was really overbearing.

2  Thank norma s
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Ate at dancing fire. Service slow. 10 min after ordering bottle of wine,

Service slow. 10 min after ordering, waitress returned to say they were out of the wine we ordered. I ordered "surf and turf". The steak was quite good but the shrimp were tasteless. They served small loaf of fresh bread which was quite good. Expensive for what we got.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We've been to Dancing Fire twice and both experiences were excellent. Although the menu is limited and the prices are high ($18+), we feel like it's worth the splurge.