“The Good The bad and the ugly.”
Review of Chase on the Lake

Chase on the Lake
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Walker
Reviewed September 21, 2011

The good, beautiful location,nice small town with lots to do. The breakfast brunch was well organized and quite good for a perk with the room. You do need to check ahead to make sure it is included in your room rate. The bad, front desk is a mixed bag, some clerks are very attentive, while others are rather poor. The rooms are not very soundproof, therefore you will be entertained by the band in the lounge whether you wish to be or not. After 11:00 it got rather annoying as we had a rather long day. The ugly, room care or lack of it. Talked to the management three times about getting clean towels and waste baskets emptied to no avail. Finally took the dirty towels personally to the front desk and left them, demanded clean ones which I was given without any comment. The room was ok, but not up to quality standards as far as cleanliness was concerned. Commented on this at checkout and was given a rate reduction which was nice, but It didn't change the situation nor change my opinion of the room service at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try lakeside and third floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank sulo7
There are newer reviews for Chase on the Lake

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel probably about 5-6 times this year. On my first visit, I was sent to a room that was not cleaned at all - walked in and there were dirty linens and towels on the floor amongst other things. After going to the front desk, I was given a new, clean room. On my last visit to this hotel, I checked the sheets as I always do before settling in and WHOA! Curly black bairs and crusties all over the sheets! I flip over the pillow, and long black hairs covered the white pillow case! I reported this to the front desk, who said nothing but after 10-15 minutes of standing there gave me a new room, which was not what I wanted. I check out the new room and find used bars of soap in the shower! ARG! At this point I just wanted to rest, so I settled and the sheets looked clean... This hotel does have a beautiful property, upscale decor. No breakfast in the hotel during summer months, you have to go to the restrauant connected to the hotel or elsewhere.

Room Tip: My opinion for this hotel is you must stay lakeside with balcony...afterall you are on the lake!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank amberh30
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We rented a 2 bedroom condo for 2 nights using a Groupon deal, so paid $298 for what is regularly priced at $698. At $298 for the 2 nights, it was fine, but $698 would have been out of line. We rent condos very frequently, so are familiar with pricing.

Pros:
Spacious room, fairly clean though the refrigerator had some recent spills that had not been cleaned up and it did not look like the bathroom floor had been wiped up real well.
Staff was very nice and friendly.
Walking distance to town with a few restaurants, a few cute shops, and three places that have coffee, lattes, etc. I'd recommend going into town rather than the coffee shop right in the parking lot of Chase. You can get a latte that is at least as good for considerably less money.
Large lake with beautiful sunsets.

Cons:
There is a buffet breakfast that comes with the room. It was OK for something that came with the room, though the first morning down at about 9am almost all of the hot items were gone and not replaced for about 15 minutes.

The beach is pretty small, I think I counted 12 lounge chairs, so don't count on that unless you get out early.

Noisy with lots of large groups in some of the rooms. We had trouble sleeping the first night.

Overall:
I would recommend it if you have one of the deals that gives at least 40% off, but not at full price.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Zelda21
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We spent July 4th weekend here. When you book a vacation with a resort on a lake you expect there to be a swimming area and a beach but you won't find that here. Yes they do have a beach and a swimming area but it was roughly the size of our family room. The swimming area was directly behind the boat docks and the boundaries of it were the boat docks themselves. The swimming area is basically shaped like a triangle, walled in on 2 sides by boat docs and the third being the sand beach. There was no room to swim, play, or ride on the ridiculous kayaks they make available for use at the "beach". Walker is a beautiful town and Leach Lake is incredible, just don't waste you time or money at this place, unless your goal is to rent a room at a hotel that you can also dock your boat at. The hotel is old, and yes that does add to it's charm, but that basically means that it doesn't offer the many amenities that modern hotels do. FYI, it is 3 times faster to use the stairs to get to your room than to wait the 90 seconds it takes to call the elevator then ride it up to your floor. The one thing I do commend them on is their indoor pool. They have a heated pool, a cool pool, and a hot tub. It was nice in there, but we wanted to be outside on a beach and we did not get that at Chase on the Lake.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank evilchad2000
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed in 2 bedroom suite w/ full kitchen, living room, dining area and a bathroom suite. Beautiful decorated, comfortable beds, lovely views and sunsets. Restaurant menu and service was very good. Hotel marina had boats, and water bikes for rent. The pier has seating to relax and enjoy the view. The hotel supplies s'mores fixing to eating while sitting around the bon fire during the evening. A very relaxing vacation is natural beauty.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

We had been to Chase many years ago and frankly it was run down and falling apart. We returned in August 2011 and were very impressed with how elegant and perfect everything had been renovated. The entire facility was impressive. Our two bedroom condo was excellent. We have never been anywhere as clean as this condo was. The pool was super, and the food was very good. The staff was always pleasant and helpful. We rented a speed boat and had an incredible day on the Lake with no issues.

We would highly recommend Chase on the Lake to anybody.
The Eitels

Reviewed August 24, 2011

We used the crowd cut coupon and stayed in the 2 bedroom 1 bath condo. We were able to check in early, which was great!! Our crown cut coupon also included breakfast at the 502 restaurant in the hotel, which was fabulous!!! I was expecting a continental breakfast with loads of carbs. to choose from, but when we came down for breakfast, we couldn't believe the choices we had. It was a great surpirse. The best part was the indoor pool and private boweling alley. My kids had a ball, we'll be back!!!

1  Thank travelbud525
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walker
Country Inn Walker
Anderson's Horseshoe Bay Lodge
Super 8 Park Rapids
Super 8 Park Rapids
#4 of 8 in Park Rapids

Been to Chase on the Lake? Share your experiences!