“Spent a lot of money on a stay here, couldn't use the pool/sauna/hot tub because it's open to the public--CROWDED”

and 1 more site!
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wabasha
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wabasha
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I like to preface this review with the fact that it takes a lot to make me write a negative review. I am not a complainer. So, none of our experiences here were things that I have blown out of proportion. I think this is a good hotel that could be tremendous if they would just revise what seems to be a new policy--or one that has gotten out of control. Until then, call and discuss this before making a reservation. If you are going with children who would like to swim or if you would like to soak yourself, call ahead. It will save you from big disappointment.

We had a wonderful time at this hotel the first time we stayed here. The second time, not so much. This was a big treat for my family. I have a rare neurological disease that makes traveling very difficult. We had saved our money for quite some time in order to afford a themed suite. We stayed in the Having had a good time the last time we were at this hotel, we thought for sure we could count on it again. Not so.

The hotel was clean. I have no complaints there. Staff was friendly. We stayed in the Mississippi River Boat Suite, which was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. The bedspread and sofa upholstery were both a little worn and could use replacing soon, but passable. It's a nice layout, but be warned. This suite is right at the top of the stairs from the lobby. Right by the window overlooking the pool. So, there is a lot of noise and people that will stop right outside your room to check out the pool. No big deal to us, though, but it would have been nice if this was included in the description of the room. We prefer quiet and out of the way and would have chosen another room for this reason only.

Apparently, they open the pool to the public. We were not the only paying guests of this hotel that ran across the problem with the pool area and breakfast.

We went down to sit in the hot tub. We felt that since we had paid quite a bit for a suite that we would take advantage of the amenities. This was a treat for our family after all. We would have stayed elsewhere had we known what our experience would be. The tub was full of toddler age children using it as a warm swimming pool. A few of their parents were there, the rest in the party room, which appeared to be a community hang out area. We asked if we could turn the jets on (they were off). This was met with glares and no answer even when asked several times. I decided a warm soak was better than nothing, so I got in, but quickly got out when I saw that none of the diaper aged children were wearing swim diapers. We tried the sauna, but it was packed too. We felt so unwelcomed, we ended up leaving. The front desk staff told us to take it up with management in the morning. That there was only one of them and they couldn't face down that crowd alone. yikes.

At breakfast the next morning, we noticed people coming in from the parking lot and eating, then leaving again. They were obviously not guests of the hotel and some were familiar from the night before in the pool area. This made the line for waffles at least 40 minutes long (multiplying the number of people in line by the timer on the waffle maker). So, we were disappointed again. People were emptying the fruit baskets, milk cartons, and yogurt, taking as much as they could carry. We found a couple of bagels to toast, but it made for a measly breakfast. We split a peanut butter packet between the three of us.

I booked this hotel based on our last positive experience. This is one of our favorite areas to visit, but we most certainly will not stay here again. Putting the measly amount of money that you make with opening the pool to the public over people who have spent hundreds at your hotel is inexcusable. There are other wonderful places to stay that don't have pools. Some lofts downtown looked amazing. Or maybe we'll rent a houseboat!

On a side note, we have stayed at another AmericInn that opens their water park area to the public and did not have this same experience. We were happy to share the pool with the paying outside guests as their number was limited.

Room Tip: Ask where your room is located before you book. Some suites are right at the top of the stairs in t...
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Lilbet247
There are newer reviews for AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wabasha

Reviewed January 17, 2012

We decided to splurge and use the MLK holiday as a family mini-vacation so we booked a hotel with a pool and headed to Wabasha to see the National Eagle Center.

After seeing the Eagles we checked into our hotel. The front desk person was very friendly but the lobby itself smelled of cigarette smoke. I was a little worried but we were very pleased by our room. It had no smell, it was exceptionally clean, nicely decorated and even had a refrigerator.

We headed down to the pool with our elementary school child and found there was a birthday swim party in progress with 6-7 girls and a family of three were swimming none of whom were guests of the hotel (all left wearing clothes and coats). I had no idea at the time that this was a sign of things to come. We spent about two hours in the pool, the birthday party left during this time and a family of five came to swim also wearing coats. We've stayed in hotels before in small communities and are familiar with the non-guests swimming so this wasn't a problem until after we came back from dinner and headed down for another dip in the pool.

To my complete shock, the entire pool area was FILLED with local kids, none of whom had a parent in attendance. I counted a few different times and there were 25-30 kids there all night. They sat shoulder filling the entire whirlpool. They sat shoulder to shoulder packing the sauna. One group of kids was playing basketball in the shallow end of the pool playing since the hoop in the deep end was missing the rim (not hard to see how this was broken) which meant the kids in the deep end were just throwing the balls at each other.

I asked the clerk what was going on. She explained that for $5 anyone from Wabasha could swim. What time do they leave I asked hoping that some time would be reserved for just guests. No such luck, they can come and go anytime. They usually start to leave around 9:00 p.m. she said. Great, just when our child drops into bed every night, exhausted.

Since swimming in that hoard of people with a child who is still developing her swimming skills was not an option I had her play some games using the computer in the lobby while I read by the roaring fire. The fire was lovely, the chair was very comfortable, and there was a nice reading light, too. Sounds lovely doesn't it? Well, it would have been if not for the constant stream of kids getting dropped off, coming into the breakfast area dripping wet to sit and talk and talk, and yell and talk some more.

Back in our room, it was quiet, the beds were very comfortable, and each bed had four pillows and a bolster pillow, too. We had all slept very well and had a wonderful breakfast. My husband went down for an early swim and found a member of the community enjoying the hot tub and then when we went swimming after breakfast another member of the community came in. Soon a guests of the hotel came down with 5-6 girls to swim, I hadn't seen them the night before. I did notice two older women came up to the pool door carrying bags and wearing their coats. They took one look at all the hotel guests in the pool and left. I knew exactly how they felt.

I am not in the hotel business but as a consumer that you set and advertise public pool hours. If I had known there is a good possibility that they will be sharing the pool with 30 teenagers I would have stayed at a different hotel. I heard another couple complaining to the manager about the pool situation in the morning. She was not in the least bit apologetic or sympathetic to them so I didn't bother to talk to her myself. I understand there is not another pool in the immediate area but if you don't advertise the public use you'll find there will soon not be a hotel either. As lovely as the hotel was (except for the smoke smell in the lobby and some of the hallway) your guests will not return if there are unable to use your advertised facilities. After paying a premium for a pool they expect to be able to use it – whenever they want. Set and advertise public pool hours then everyone will be able to make informed choices.

Room Tip: We had a room on the backside and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank MinnesotaMomThree
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed here for only one night. We went to the Nat. Eagle center downtown by the
river. It was more than we expected. We had our photo's taken next to an eagle.
The Americinn was beautifully decorated for the fall festival. It is known for the movie
Grumpy old men. We had a basic two queen bed room. It was very clean and the beds
were very comfortable. Not too hard or soft. We were treated very well by the front desk.
The breakfast was very good also, eggs, sausage, and all the usual. Very nice.
We also enjoyed the irish pub the front desk recommended. The next day we went to
the Lark Toy museum in Kellogg 6 miles away. It is awesome! We loved the carousel.

Room Tip: There is no elevator if you can't do steps. Get a room on first floor. There is a parking lot...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel before during the winter months as part of a stay and ski package. It is always so clean and the staff is wonderful. My husband booked a room for the celebration of our 16th Anniversary. He reserved a theme suite and picked the Artist Retreat. It has a hot tub and a fireplace and is filled with beautiful furniture. It is a two room suite with one being a living room which is very modern and has a television for entertaining. It also has a table and chairs and it is nice and confortable. It has a nice large walk in bathroom with shower and tub. The bedroom is seperate and it has a large king size antique bed and a corner whirpool for two. The bedroom also has a tv and a dvd player. It has antique chairs in the room and is so relaxing they think of everything at the hotel. They leave you a bag of caramels to snack on if you get hungry. The hotel also has a large and clean swimming pool that has a hottub for all the hotel guests to enjoy. Each morning they have a breakfast with the regular cereals, donuts and hot foods too. We just love this hotel and will sure come back to try out the different themed rooms. They are sponsored by different businesses and are really classy.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1KauaiLover
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed in one of the theme rooms, because the regular rooms were full. The room theme was titled "Decoys." It had various duck hunting themed decorations and a few additional bird knick knacks. The room had a king bed, and an in room jacuzzi tub. The bathroom also had a tub/shower mix and a mirror, sink and vanity area was located just outside the bathroom. I found the hotel to be reasonably clean. The breakfast selection in the morning was poor. The noise from the pool was loud. Request a room far from the pool and main lobby if want it to be quiet.

Room Tip: Request a room far away from the pool and main lobby if you want a quiet room!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We were dropping off my husband's sister and decided to stay the night. We had no reservations and just walked in--the front desk lady (Macgrath) was amazing and friendly. The price was so much less than what we are use to paying in oilfield country that we were shocked into silence! The room was the cleanest I have been in, in forever--we actually had down comforters and not just the thin blankets. I've never smelled sheets so fresh. Pool was also clean and fun. Overall I wish we could find this kind of hotel in the towns we usually stay in.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed June 17, 2011

There were no "Grumpy Old Men" on staff at this hotel in Wabasha, MN, home of the famed "Grumpy Old Men" movies. From the time we made our reservation via phone the day we needed 2 rooms to the time we check out the next day, we experienced royalty-like treatment. We were joining friends for a few days as they travelled by tandem bike across the Northern Tier route and day one of our journey led us to this fabulous hotel in Wabasha. Steve was at the front desk when we checked in and he made us feel right at home. We have never had an unpleasant stay at any AmericInn and this one set the bar pretty high for future stays at any other hotels. Thanks AmericInn staff for making our short stay so fun. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wabasha
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City
Cobblestone Inn and Suites Durand, WI
Willows on the River
Willows on the River
#3 of 3 in Lake City
Sunrise Inn
Sunrise Inn
#1 of 2 in Mondovi

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wabasha? Share your experiences!