“Quiet!!! Well built. Pool with waterslide” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Paul Northeast

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Paul Northeast
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vadnais Heights
Orange County, CA
“Quiet!!! Well built. Pool with waterslide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

After staying in a few substandard hotels during a long family vacation, I was very happy to stay here. I could not hear anyone in the halls. I couldn't even hear my children in our room while I was walking down the hall. I never heard footsteps from the room above.

The rooms were clean and the furnishings were nice and newer. The beds were comfortable.

My kids loved the pool. It had a waterslide and basketball hoops. A big hit for us!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CountryInnStPaulNE, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Paul Northeast, responded to this review, September 18, 2009
We are so happy to have you stay! At the Country Inn & Suites, St. Paul NE we try our best to make your stay as memorable as possible. It is great you got to enjoy our pool and weekend waterslide! Thank you for the review and we look forward to having you for another quiet night!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

We stayed here while visiting family nearby and booked at the last minute. All of the staff we encountered were great and we were able to get a room on the floor we requested. The rooms on the first floor are big...almost too big for the small amount of furniture in there. Very high ceilings and the couch was quite comfy. There were a lot of great restaurants nearby...we loved Mad Jacks! We didn't use the pool but it looked nice enough and the workout room was nice for this chain of hotels. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelFriend200
Washington DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

This hotel is well situated and the staff is nice and friendly. I had a so-so stay due to odors in the room and hallway. When we checked in, we asked for a non-smoking room on the quiet side of the hotel. The desk did not tell us that, as a result, we would be in the middle of a floor with both smoking and non-smoking rooms. When the elevator opened on our floor, there was an immediate "smoking" smell in the hallway; the floor had smoking rooms on one side and non-smoking on the other. When we entered our room, I immediately smelled a "smoking" like odor. That odor bothered me all night and I had trouble sleeping. I also found the bed to be uncomfortable, and the room space seemed a bit tight to me. In fairness, the other members of my family (one of whom is particularly sensitive to smoking smells) were not bothered as I was and had a better overall stay in the hotel. I did notice that the hallway on the first floor, which appeared to be non-smoking, had a significantly better, cleaner smell. If you want a non-smoking room at this hotel, I suggest that you ascertain at check-in where the room is located and its proximity to smoking rooms. When we checked out, I mentioned my concerns with the odors in our room and in the hallway. The desk staffer told me other guests had voiced similar concerns and comments.

• Disliked — The room!
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Omaha Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2008

Check in was okay - the girls at the front were polite, and helpful and signed me up for the hotel points program - we were very early and they found us a room which allowed me to get to my conference and allow my family to enjoy the hotel -

The room as pretty nice - only one TV that had to be turned to watch from one side of the room or the other - the room was a bit musty on checking in and that odor seemed to stay the entire two nights - the bathroom was nice - big counter area - lots of soaps and supplies - the shower was plain with a tub - could have used a nicer shower head - would be a nice upgrade to the rooms -

The furniture was nice - including sofa bed and wing back chair - lamps all worked good - king bed was okay - not especially comfortable but not uncomortable either- A/C had some difficulties discovering the temp it was set at - convention type under the window, but controls way across the room - we were on the end of the hallway on the third floor - so the wi-fi was very weak - that was a disappointment so we tried to use the computer in the business center on more than one occasion and the screen froze each time -

The breakfast area was well stocked and pretty good - but only one two slot toaster for a four story hotel filled with kids and teens for softball tournament - made waiting for breakfast items a very long time -

The pool was cool - both in terms of being cool - but also in temperature - the slide was nice - but not that special - and a bit slow - the pool is a strange configuration - so difficult to swim - lots of activies for playing though - and the spa was nice and warm with lots of jets - all worked well - but very limited supply of chairs and lounge chairs for the size and amount of people - there was space for more, but not available - and only one bathroom for everyone - very small - not a real good plan there

Overall, it was an okay place and I might stay there again, but there is a holiday inn express across the street that also looked nice and would be a possible good option in that area. The pool at the holiday inn is much smaller -

Just beware - the slide at the Country Inn and Suites is only open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday - so if you come during the week and expect your children to be able to use it, you will be disappointed - I caught that in one of the other reviews and wanted to affirm that it is true -

• Liked — comfortable room furnishings
  • Disliked — business center
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Grand rapids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites while we were visiting relatives. I felt so warm and comfortable during our stay. The staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating, Our kids had a great time on the waterslide. They had a great breakfast included with the room which was fantastic. We were able to look up attractions nearby on line in their business center. and I was even able to get my workout in! Thank you country Inn for making us so comfortable during our stay!

• Liked — Waterslide
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2008

This place is great. Our sheets stayed put. We had a king sized bed and had more room than we needed. Room had a microwave and a mini-fridge. Space was certainly not a problem. We stayed in room #311. The bed was a typical hotel bed. I can't say it is comfy or un-comfy. Its just a bed, and it served its purpose. For breakfast we had a choice of some McDonalds type of egg "patty", breakfast burritos, hard boiled eggs, you make waffles, toast, donuts, cereal, fruit, yogurt, fried potatoes, muffins, 3 juices, 2 milks, water, coffee, tea, etc. The hotel cooks up cookies in the afternoon/evening as well. Because this hotel does offer the water slide, it is a natural magnet for kids. We were able to use the pool and hot tub before and after the swarms of kids hit. The pool temp felt chilly at first, but after being in it for 5 minutes or less, you get used to it. It isn't 90 but it certainly isn't too cold to swim in and enjoy. The hot tub is a very nice warm temperature and is quite large. The pool also has a basketball hoop and balls to shoot and dunk with. Unfortunately some of the heavier kids have obviously hung on the rim so it is starting to sag. We stayed for 3 nights and didn't have any issues with the front desk staff or the cleaning staff. They were all very polite to us. If you're visiting the area, this a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2008
1 Thank BoiseBronco
Park City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2007

My husband and I just returned from 3 uncomfortable nights, wadded up in #109 at the Country Inn and Suites St. Paul Northeast.

There is some sort of slippery problem between the (teflon?) mattress covering and the (teflon?) mattress pad which causes sheets and mattress pad to slip off the corners of the mattress and wad up underneath sleepers during the night.

The first night we got up twice to pull the sheets and mattress pad back into place on the bed. In the morning I spoke to the front desk about the problem. The head of housekeeping just happened to be standing there and she cheerfully informed me that they had complaints about this slippage problem all the time... but apparently could not figure out how to solve this problem.

I have traveled and stayed at many hotels over many years and have never experienced this problem before which leads me to believe it could be solved.

I recommend you take a roll of duct tape with you if staying at Country Inn & Suites St. Paul NE.

• Liked — Located close to our relatives, nice and clean, nice decor, friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Terrible bedding, kids frolicking in the hallways at all hours, American breakfast: lots of sugar, instant coffee, powdered eggs.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foxtrotfs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vadnais Heights
Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights
Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heig...
#3 of 3 in Vadnais Heights
Fairfield Inn & Suites St. Paul Northeast
Fairfield Inn & Suites St. Paul ...
#2 of 3 in Vadnais Heights
BEST WESTERN PLUS White Bear Country Inn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Paul East
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bloomington Hotel
BEST WESTERN Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Paul Northeast? Share your experiences!