“Larsmont is NO luxury cottage experience”

Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed August 11, 2009

When we go to the North Shore, we usually stay in Canal Park. The Larsmont's web site portrays itself as a "North Shore's Ultimate Luxury Cottage" so we decided to check it out. It is definitely NOT a luxury cottage. We rented a three bedroom cottage. From the moment we opened the door, we noticed the carpet was filthy. The whole kitchen and living room furniture had to be wiped down, as they were covered with dirt and some unknown sticky stuff. There we food and old candy wrappers on the floor. The coffee machine didn't work and spilled grounds and coffee all over the counter. When the front desk was informed, they acted surprised as if it couldn't be possible. Customer service and response is definitely lacking. We spent couple hours just wiping down and cleaning the cottage. With our initial experience, we didn't even consider trying out the restaurant. The cottages are on a great part of Lake Superior. But ultimately, we cannot and would not recommend this place to our friends. We've had great experiences and customer service at Bluefin, Canal Park Lodge, or Madden's on Gull Lake. Try them for a Minnesota experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank etomidate

Reviewed August 11, 2009

We had visited a family home at Lake Superior a few years before, and decided to go back there for our honeymoon. Living in the south, the lake is a far trip from home (3 hour plane ride + 4 hour drive), so I did a lot of internet research to figure out where to stay. Unfortunately, there aren't that many reviews of the North Shore online so I basically just looked at the pictures for each place. I picked Larsmont Cottages and could not have been happier with my decision!

The cottage was beautiful- everything looked brand new. The kitchen was amazing with granite countertops and a big island, plus a dining room. It was fully equipped with everything we could have needed. There was a gas fireplace in between the living and dining areas which we used almost every night. The bedroom was really comfortable, with a huge master bathroom with a tub and a shower, and an additional half bath (which was very much appreciated at times!) The floors were heated, which we didn't need to use in October, but I can imagine it would be very nice if you stayed there during colder months. The entire place was spotlessly clean.

The outside of the cabin was nice too. The front was nothing special, just the parking lot and a short walk over to the main lodge. We had a 2-person Adirondack bench behind our cabin facing the lake which we spent part of every day sitting and reading in- this was a very nice addition. One morning we woke up very early and tried to catch the sunrise, but we must have been on the wrong side or something because we couldn't see it. There was also a gas grill on our patio. There is an upstairs and downstairs, and we were downstairs with noone above us, so I don't know how the noise factors in.

We booked the honeymoon package so on the first day we started out with a couples massage in a separate cabin, with the window open to hear the waves. It was fun, but we would have appreciated a shower or robe- we had to put our clothes back on over all the oil! We ate in the restaurant 3 times and highly enjoyed our food. We were a little disappointed in the bar due to the lack of young people (or many other people at all) there, but I guess it just wasn't that busy that week... we did join in a few outside fires where we met a couple of other people. The bartender even made us drinks that we could take out to the fire with us! The staff was all very friendly, and there was a computer available in the lobby to check our email. We also hit the pool one day- it was a bit chilly as other reviews have mentioned, but we just moved out to the hot tub for a bit. The pool is indoors but the hot tub is outside. We only went that one time as it wasn't that fun in the cooler October weather.

We live pretty far away from the North Shore, but I love it there and would definitely choose to stay at Larsmont Cottages again. Especially compared to the photos I saw online of other cabins or hotels (which all looked old and dingy), Larsmont is a wonderful resort and I would love to go back again and again. It was the best honeymoon I could have imagined!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GingerRVA
Reviewed June 6, 2009

We stayed at Larsmont for two nights for our 5th anniversary, and for the most part the resort exceeded our expectations. The (one-bedroom) cottage we had was terrific, and since we we went with the intention of cooking, we brought nearly everything needed for the meals we planned. The kitchen was well-equipped and very nice, and our patio grill, although needing a cleaning (which was easy enough to do) when we first fired it up, was fine. Our cottage (#385) was back a bit from the actual shoreline, but this actually worked out to be a good thing, since the winds (which were fairly heavy for most of the time we were there) were blocked by the woods immediately next to the cabin, and allowed us to enjoy the patio more than if we were right on the shoreline. We were also able to take advantage of their May-June special rate, which knocked about 15-20% off the usual fee.
Would we go back? Absolutely.
A few things to consider:
-We had never been to Two Harbors, and so packed nearly all our food. But if you're coming from the Twin Cities (or wherever else where you're spending some hours in the car), you may want to wait to purchase the bulk of the stuff you need at the SuperOne in Two Harbors - it's actually pretty well stocked, and if we did it again we would probably only pack the meats (we used a cooler to deal with the 3 hour trip)
-The cabin was very relaxing in its own right, and we actually never made it to the spa or pool in the main lodge, although they looked nice
-Our grill ran out of gas midway through cooking a meal, and a phone call to the lodge had a replacement tank to our patio in literally less than 5 minutes. Very responsive.
-One gripe: Fire pits. As mentioned, it was very windy during much of the time we were there, however, late afternoon of the second day, the winds died to nothing, and it would have been a perfect evening for a fire on the lake. When we inquired about getting one going in the pit out near the shoreline, we were told by the front desk that "maintenance had gone for the day." Sorry, kids, but for the amount people pay for this place per night, that just doesn't cut it.
-Second issue, not really a gripe - They claim high-speed internet access, but upon arriving we discovered neither my wife's laptop nor mine would connect to their network, no matter what we did. No big deal, we were there to relax, but on the second day, I discovered the wi-fi waypoint in our cottage, reset it, and everything worked fine from then on.
-The Split Rock Lighthouse tour is very interesting if you haven't seen it/been there already, especially if you get some decent weather to admire the grounds and the lake - you're able to get very close to some of the cliffs, and the views are spectacular.
-Definitely hit Betty's Pies, we can't speak for the other food they offer, but the pie lived up to its billing.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MnC0uple
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We went here for out 10yr anniversary.The rooms were Great.The Bed was the best one I have ever slept in.Forgot to look at the name on it, So I could see where to buy one for at home.The bathroom was nice and big. The 2 person tub was ok.Nothing that I don't have at home.Liked the walk in shower just wish it had a better shower head.We could hear everything in the building unit we were in.Did go to the out door bonfire pit by the point.Was a group of people there from a wedding party for the weekend.They were all drunk and loud.Would have liked to watch the sunset without hearing "Oh I don't feel good...." And alot of swearing.And other things came out to.We bought the bed and breakfast package.I would recommend going to a different place to eat All your meals.We went for dinner was told dress for upscale meal.I would have thought with the prices on the menu that started at $25 and went up.nice was a buttoned up shirt and docker slacks for him. And for her a sweater and dress pants or a dress.That is what we wore.Never felt so out of place with what I was wearing .We were over dressed.I mean come on the fire place was lit, linens on the tables this candles lit.It was so loud we had to yell at the waitress to have her hear what we wanted to order.And to have people in their hunting clothes that just came in from the field,Ripped up jeans and a tee shirts.Very disappointing when we were told upscale.Yes the only thing upscale was the $175.00 bill. Breakfast was even worse.Didn't care what I was wearing in the morning but still looked nice.Not like I went in my pj's.Like others did.But we were the first ones standing in line to get in.They opened 1 hr late.And only had 1 waitress for 30 tables.And she was also the Hostess.Food was ok nothing to die for.But My Hubby did ask how they make the smoked salmon.He loved that at dinner.And has made it at home since.But it was not the same as at their restaurant.So over all if all you need is a very nice place to sleep with the best beds stay here.But pass on the Restaurant their ,or better yet save your self the money and don't buy a package with it included.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Things were very quiet at the Larsmont Cottages in April. I'd imagine they're quite busy during the peak tourist season. Everything was great! We would return anytime to enjoy this lake side resort. The cottages closest to the lake are: 280-287, 235-232, and 360-367. All cottages are non-smoking. Daily housekeeping services are not included in the room price (although housekeeping services are available at an additional cost). On-site massage services are available ranging from $60-$110 (for 30-90 minutes).

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2008

A great location if you don't want the bother of driving all the way to Bluefin Bay in Tofte. The re-engineering of Hwy 61 keeps it from being the beast it formerly was. If you don't have as much time and don't want to spend it all driving a less interesting by-way, Larsmont is a nice basecamp. You can still make a day of Split Rock Lighthouse and Gooseberry. There are more trails and bike paths every year or so. So fewer minutes and miles of road.

Admittedly, if you had a tradition of heading north for Grand Marais, or the Superior National Golf Course... then you'll want to stay at least as far east as Tofte or Lutsen. However if you just need a little North Shore fix, Larsmont is perfect.

Can be a little bit pricey. The shoulder season rates start a little later than appropriate, but it depends on why you are making the trip.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I was hoping for the perfect weekend @ the perfect price. I had booked a cottage guest room & later upgraded to a cottage suite. I was told the upgrade would only be approx. $50.00 more. At check in, to my own fault, I didn't pay close enough attention to the final price, but also they didn't point out the cost. The room was beautiful, but not worth $280/night. Especially when the bar, couldn't even stay open til 11:00pm on a Saturday night. You would think that if you are paying premium prices, they would cater to you a little bit more, than a regular hotel. The ample linens, that were suppose to have been provided in our room, there were only 2 extra bath towels when we arrived. I had to call the front desk for more. The other thing that is very disturbing is the restaurant hours. We were suppose to have reservations on the morning of our departure, our group arrived for breakfast and was told that the kitchen was closed. Oh, but they were accomodating in helping us locate a cafe in Two Harbors. Just not the vacation I would spend my hard earned money on again.

Stayed: September 2008
Park Point Marina Inn
Park Point Marina Inn
#1 of 31 in Duluth
South Pier Inn on the Canal

Been to Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!