“Pretty site but thin walls”

Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Love the location, but could hear the neighbors even when they just talked normally. Staff very friendly, clean but dated unit, extremely small unit. Nice restaurant but pricey. would look at other options when returning to this area.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MN-FIRE

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The location is outstanding . Cottages are close to Lake Superior, and the sound of waves join you all day + night long! Cottage decor and resort amenities are beautiful ... comfortable, cozy, just right. Community bonfires and s'mores ... simply delightful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Matthias T
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The location can't be beat. Cottages are outrageously close to Lake Superior, and the beautiful sound of waves welcomes you all day long! Cottage decor and resort amenities are beautiful ... no "roughing it" at all ... comfortable, cozy, just right. Community bonfires and s'mores ... simply delightful. Nightime stars over Lake Superior at fire pits are touchable.

Larsmont is close to Two Harbors, so it's very easy to arrive with nothing and get food shopping done nearby.

I've visited Larsmont Cottages six times and can't wait for trip #7. I've grown up visiting Lake Superior. Larsmont is now my favorite place second to Venice, Italy. And for a treat, Canal Park in Duluth is nearby. Don't miss Gooseberry Falls and Splitrock Lighthouse.

It doesn't get much better ... whether it's a one-night stay or an entire week ... Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior are heaven.

Room Tip: Get a cottage that is lake side ... lake view means "view of the lake" ... lake side means...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We've stayed over 9 times that I can count in the last 7 years since it's been open. It's starting to show it's age.

Sure, there are the great sweeping views of the lake and great places to just sit and look at it. However, you can get that all the way up and down the shore.

The last time we stayed the furnace did not work, there was a huge set of cracks in our window to see that great lake and significant cracks all over the walls and celling.

One gets the sense that the staff is growing complacent and is simply going through the montions from the front desk to maintenance teams. I've had far more welcoming service from hotels you would not think would be welcoming and service filled than what this this "luxury" spot on the North Shore has become.

They can keep setting out the S'mores supplies but until they fix their service culture and facility we're going to be on the look out for another place.

Room Tip: Get as close to the lake as you can.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank tons0miles
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Having ridden all 49 states on my motorcycle and stayed in hundreds of hotels/motels/resorts we guess we have a good handle on what represents good value and what is a unique place to stay. We have stayed in places that were truly 5 star and in some awful dumps. We have eaten in Michelin restaurants to lovely local Mom and Pop diners.

We more or less stumbled on Larsmont and all thanks to my wonderful partner who steered me to this fabulous place.

We were greeted by the charming and friendly Rene and Daniel on reception who, due to their professionalism and friendliness encouraged us to stay. As I said " an empty room can never be sold again!

Good staff are hard to find and this resort has them in spades and this is to the credit of the management and their staff. From the reception ladies to Ashley in the bar, who served us some of the very best cocktails we have ever had in America, Europe and Asia, to Katie our super, smiling, genuinely friendly server in the restaurant.

A very special mention to Mike who ran a superlative kitchen even though while very busy he made sure his food was presented hot and fresh.. I can honestly say I ate one of the very best and tastiest flatbreads/pizzas we have ever eaten and we rarely eat these because they are often a big let down. It is all too often quantity over quality...here it was the opposite. The mains of oven fired chicken and pork tenderloin were excellent and the pork cooked to perfection. Veg were genuinely fresh, for a change!, and also cooked to a crunchy delight. The menu is inventive and complete without being pretentious and has have a wonderful dish for every taste.

Our room was on the small side but does this really matter? After all we only sleep in the room and it was very comfy, cosy indeed with a spotless bathroom. We had what we needed and did not want for any more.

We loved our short stay (we will try to stay another night!) and will for sure come back if we are ever in this area again. I just can't fault it.

Well done to all for running such a good show!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Harleyclarkey
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I came here recently for the Grandma's marathon. This was my first time in this part of the country. Some friends have told me about the beauty of twin port, but I could not understand it, until I got here. My experience wouldn't have been complete without being in this place. In order to understand the beauty and magic of this area you have to stay here. The nature, the lake view, the climate during June is amazing. Unfortunately, since I booked my stay so late, I had to stay in different places during the marathon weekend. If I had to do it again, I would stay here for the whole event. The logistic for the marathon may be a challenge since the finish line is in Duluth, but it is worth while.

Don't forget about the eggs benedict for breakfast! The best in town!

Room Tip: The closer you are to the lake the better.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I recently spent two nights here to celebrate our anniversary. Our cottage was an upstairs unit and was very very small, nothing in it but the bed and bathroom . It faced the street instead of the lake so there was some traffic noise . But the place itself was adorable ! The cottages were clean , kept up very nice and there are different styles to choose from . The restaurant was fabulous with a cute patio for outdoor eating and a campfire going every night . They give out complimentary s'mores and have a cute shop their as well . The lake is amazing and this place just takes you back in time to simplicity . Highly recommend it to families !

Room Tip: Don't get an upstairs unit facing the street .
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Park Point Marina Inn
Park Point Marina Inn
#1 of 31 in Duluth
South Pier Inn on the Canal

Been to Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!