“nice place could be cleaner”

Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
thunder bay ontario
“nice place could be cleaner”
Reviewed February 26, 2008

we stayed at Larsmont for the second time in the past year. All the things we enjoyed about it the first time round - setting, pool, quiet, were still here. However our cottage left a little to be desired in the cleanliness department. Despite having asked for special attention due to food allergies - we still found chocolate peanuts behind the chairs and lots of popcorn under the sofa. once we did a thorough clean we enjoyed ourselves there. I just think that the between guest cleaning should be done by the staff, not the guests. On the plus side we enjoy the setting and the staff we spoke to were helpful and friendly. we will try this place again - hopefully the cleaning will improve and we will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.

1 Thank elsier33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 26, 2007

We booked this place through a tour book we picked up at the border. It clearly states that these are "cottages" on the lake, so we were sold. We were travelling across country and sick of hotel rooms and wanted a "cottage" for the night, sans noise and such from neighbors. Unfortunately, what we got wasn't exactly a cottage. Let me explain. The "cottage" is actually a large building with 4 or so units in it, so I guess if you have a large family or wallet, you could rent out the entire "cottage". I wish we were told this upon booking as we were under the impression that they were individual units. Our unit was small and efficient. It had a king bed, large bathroom with walk in shower and tub and a small fridge. Some glassware and plates were supplied. It also had a large flat screen tv/gas fireplace and small deck. It was pouring and very windy during our stay so we were unable to sit outside, but we could still appreciate the beauty of the area. Our room was very nicely done, and clean. Not as spacious as a typical hote room, but that was OK since the view was spectacular. We ordered room service, and it was fine. Only problem is that they were pounding on the door downstairs (we were on the second floor in the back) and we couldn't hear them knocking and they didn't have a key to let themselves into the hallway (which I find odd, since we shared the same hall with 3 other rooms). Our biggest complaint with this hotel was that our neighbors who checked in late (after 9pm) started to smoke and play loud music after 10pm. I quickly called the front desk and "just caught him as he was leaving". He said he would take care of it. A few minutes later the smoke dissapated in our room but the music, was obviously turned 3 decibles higher. They apparently were angry that they were scolded. So another call to the front desk at 11pm went unanswered as no one is there. So we had to deal with the loud obnoxious music until 3am. This was not pleasant. Upon checking out the front desk staff was slightly sympathetic to our evening. And we were told that their home phone numbers were clearly typed on our welcome letter. Well, I unfortunately, I did not read it and at 11pm until 3am the last thing I felt like doing is reading a welcome letter to find phone numbers which I didn't know even existed. Plus, this should have been pointed out to us at check in. We should also have been told that the desk is only open until 10pm and given us an emergency number if needed. So in the end the offered to give us $50.00 off the room rate which we accepted, but I wouldn't return based on the noise factor and everything else we went through. Too bad because it does seem like a nice place.

• Stayed October 2007
3 Thank Homergirl
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 21, 2007

My husband and I just got back from three nights at the Larsmont on a wet and cool October weekend. But that didn't diminish our weekend because the Larsmont has so many options, no matter the weather.

We stayed in one of their Lodge Suites, which is a fancy way of saying a slightly smaller than average hotel room with a large bathroom, small balcony and kitchenette. I would have liked more space, especially for the price we paid. However, we liked that everything was new and we could also tell that they used quality materials when they built this place, so hopefully it will hold up over the long haul (we're in the midst of a house remodel and we actually got some ideas!).

My only complaint about the room, other than size, was that the bathroom has one lousy and small towel bar. Essentially there isn't anywhere decent to hang the big bath towels up to dry -- something that is crucial when you are at a hotel that doesn't give you clean towels every day. The killer is that our bathroom had tons of empty wall space where they could hang bars!

We didn't mind the lack of housekeeping. I would have liked garbage removed, however they do have dumpsters nearby for garbage and recycling so they make it easy.

Our suite, #237, was about 50 feet from the water and we listened to the waves crashing onto the rocky beach as we fell asleep. The gas fireplace helped keep it plenty toasty in there. The kitchenette (fridge, microwave and toaster) had a few dishes and was a great asset so we could avoid eating at restaurants the entire weekend.

The whole place is kind of run like a camp. The "lodge" has a gathering room where they have board games, books and videos (that you can check out for free and watch in your room) and a guest computer with Internet. All the rooms have free wi-fi, too. Just power up your computer and connect to the open network. That was nice.

The lodge also has a smallish indoor pool, an outdoor whirlpool (which is slightly protected from the wind) and an exercise room (three pieces of cardio equipment and a few free weights).

Apart from the lodge is a sauna, that is close enough to the shore so you can cool off in the freezing Lake Superior.

I took advantage of the massage service they offer and that was a very relaxing way to start the weekend. The massage cottage is also along the shore and has a nice patio window looking out over the water.

On Saturday afternoon, after visiting Gooseberry Falls and the Split Rock Lighthouse, we came back to the resort and built a fire in one of the fire pits. They provide all the wood and even helped us get it started.

The service was very friendly and helpful. We didn't have a single bad experience with service.

The other nice thing was the location. It's easy to find off Highway 61 and is 15 miles north of Duluth and just a couple miles south of Two Harbors. Good home base for hitting different places along the North Shore.

It's clear that you don't really pay for the room here. You pay for all the amenities. So if you're looking for a room to spend the night and nothing more, this is not the place. If you want a resort, where you could keep yourself occupied for a weekend or a week, then this is a great place since it has so many options.

• Liked — lots of amenities
  • Disliked — room smaller than I'd like
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
Reviewed September 15, 2007

If you don't mind spending $149.00 for a postage stamp room, without housekeeping I would recommend Larsmont. My husband and I were very disappointed that we had to make our own bed, get our towels and an iron. Also the vent hadn't been cleaned in our room for a very long time. Also our tub didn't drain and we had to deal with all the dirty towels that we gathered over our stay on the small bathroom floor. Not the relaxing weekend we were looking forward to. The food is excellent but the restaurant is under staffed. The fire rings are great! We would not recommend it.

• Liked — The lake, fire rings, breakfasts
  • Disliked — The size of the room, no housekeeping, under staffed restaurant
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sanben
Northern MN
Reviewed August 15, 2007

We booked a one bedroom lakeside cottage for a one night stay, and I was sad leaving this place. It was like heaven on earth. The room looked EXACTLY as the photos shown,except I thought the whole place was even cozier than what the photos showed. I was glad i spent the xtra money for the lakeside as we were really close and had a wonderful view, although the lakeview rooms really are only set back about 40 feet or so, and still have great views as well. The one bedroom is basically a 3 bedroom cottage that has the upper level locked off, so there may be someone above you in a suite room or basic room upstairs. We did have people in the rooms above us,during our stay, but we barely knew we were there. We could hear their jacuzzi tub filling with water, but that is all we heard during the whole stay. Knowing what the suite room looked like from the website photos, I did have a hard time knowing that gorgeous room was so close but not included in the one bedroom. I did ask at the front desk for a tour of an open suite, but they were all booked up which was a bummer!!

The whole resort is just beautiful- the lodge and the restaurant, pool room, sauna, massage cottage which offers hot stone massages...everything is just awesome. The shoreline is incredible with the rocky/cobblestone beaches. There are free smores nightly up by the lodge at the campfire, or you can gather around one of the firepits by the shore and just sit there and listen to the waves crashing against the shore. There is not a firepit in front of each cabin however due to DNR regulations. You share one with your neighbors, and there is a stock of firewood right by each one, and adirondack chairs. The firepits were pretty quiet during our stay, we only saw 3 other people the entire night. I could have sat there the entire night with a glass of wine just watching the beautiful lake and their were no mosquitoes at all!

When we arrived, we noticed we only 2 towels and there were 4 of us, so we asked a worker who was riding around in a little golf cart with loads of towels to bring us more and she said she would, be we never did get those towels, so we had to run up to the main lodge the next morning and get some, but other than that small inconvenience, the staff were all very nice..especially a young man we we encountered a couple of times who literally went out of his way to help us out and make us feel welcome. I wish I had caught his name.

Some neat things i enjoyed...they have minnesota cookbooks sitting on the counter by the stove that had some good recipes...there is a nice larsmont cottages guestbook so you can write in your experiences, and read about the other people that have stayed in the cottage.There is a telescope in the cottage for you to look in the distance for ships etc. There are no mowed lawns behind the cabins, it is rather just grassy areas with trails from cabin to cabin and down to the shore. Very rustic. The patios have a nice table and chairs, and a love seat type rocker, and of course a gas grill. The restaurant has grill packages available with meat and veggies etc... if you want to grill but didn't bring any groceries with you. The kiitchen had basically everything you need to cook except for cooking spray and the actual food. They did have salt and pepper and sugar etc..however. Don't bring any guests to dinner however lol because there were exactly 4 forks, spoons, etc and that was it!! The total cost of our room was $272 including tax, and we cooked all our own meals to help justify the cost of the room, and really enjoyed eating that in front of the cozy fireplace.

If you are thinking maybe a place like this is out of your budget, i can say that it really was worth every penny because you just don't get this kind of experience in a motel room. It's not just somewhere to sleep..it is serenity, and peaceful, and cozy, and you feel like you are at the ocean..and we all dream of staying in a home by the beach. My actual home is on a lake, but it is nothing compared to being on Lake Superior.

All in all, a wonderful experience in a beautiful place..so beautiful that I stayed up until 2 in the morning just soaking it all in...staring at the beautiful decor, and ambience....like i said...I was in heaven. I am trying to talk my hubby into becoming an owner!

• Liked — Views, Beautiful cottages
  • Disliked — Cost, no laundry facility
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank Tammy B
Minnesota
Reviewed August 3, 2007

We just returned from a four night stay at the Larsmont Cottages. While there were some minor flaws (hence the four star rating), overall it was an excellent experience.

Our cottage: We stayed in a three bedroom lakeview cottage (330 to be exact). You can be assured that the cottages look exactly like the pictures on their website. They are not misleading in the least. The entire thing was lovely, and quite spacious for our family of four. My kids were thrilled that they each had their "own" bathroom. The bathrooms for two of the three bedrooms were HUGE and had jacuzzi tubs and separate showers. The third bathroom was considerably smaller, but still had a tub/shower combination. The cottage had a decent lakeview from the dining room, living room and one upstairs bedroom. On the downside, the floor in front of the island in the kitchen was a bit sticky, so I used a paper towel to wipe it up. In the process, I discovered that the floor was quite dirty, despite it's appearance of being "clean." I suspect the cleaners are not quite as thorough as they should be. To me, this was a relatively minor thing...and I wasn't going to let it ruin the overall experience for me. One other minor point is that the cottages have washer and dryers, BUT they are not available to hotel guests...they are in locked rooms within the cottage, and available only to owners (all of the cottages are privately owned). I'd prefer to have use of a washer/dryer, but because I knew in advance I wouldn't have use of one, I simply packed accordingly.

The setting: The Larsmont has beautiful frontage on Lake Superior. We enjoyed walking the rocky beach, and my husband and son both went in the lake for several short swims. The entry into the lake was tricky though, and not the best. But, really, the lake isn't warm enough to be truly swimmable. We happened to catch 4 days of unseasonably warm weather though, so swimming was possible as a means of cooling off. For three of the five days/four nights we were there, we were not bothered in the least by insects. But, on the third night, we had a brief rain shower and the next day the biting black flies were out IN FORCE. They made it virtually impossible to walk the beach without being covered by flies. I wish we had bought appropriate insect repellant! So word to the wise....come prepared! I liked that the Larsmont is so close to Duluth (20-25 minutes), and the Twin Cities. Easy three hour drive...in contrast to Lutsen and some parts farther north which add 2+ hours to the drive.

Ledge Rock Grille: We had two dinners and two breakfasts at the Grille, included as part of our package rate. The food was, for the most part, quite well done. The one item we found lacking was the bagel and lox served at breakfast...it came without any of the usual items (onions, capers, etc) and was boring and bland. Just a toasted bagel, some standard smoked salmon and a hunk of cream cheese. The asiago walleye, however, was outstanding and highly recommended. Service was also excellent. I will fault them, however, for having an unreasonably late opening time (9:00 am) for breakfast...even during the week. I could *maybe* see that hour for a weekend breakfast, but during the week? I would have appreciated an opening time of 7:30 or at the latest, 8:00. As a special note to parents, the children's meals were a true bargain...especially for a resort on the North Shore...ranging in price from $4-6, including a beverage. The wine list is small, but contains interesting items priced reasonably.

Other amenities: My children were beyond thrilled with the smores served each night by the bonfire in front of the Lodge. A simple thing, that brought much pleasure. The swimming pool was nice...although a bit on the cold side for an indoor pool (I'd guess it was less than 80 degrees?). The outdoor hot tub needed to be warmer...it was no more than 100 degrees. We also enjoyed a rousing game of horseshoes on the lawn, and saw other families enjoying croquet. My daughter and I took out a couple of bikes, and those were also of nice quality. Helmets also available. None of these cost additional. They also have kayaks and canoes...there's a modest charge of $20 per two hour period for these. Lots of books, DVDs and board games are available in the Lodge for guest use.

• Liked — Spacious, well-appointed cottage
  • Disliked — Cleanliness left something to be desired
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank mnrose1
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2007

We had a great stay at the cottage back in May. We stayed for two nights in a lakeside cottage. How great is it to wake up and walk out the back door to the largest of the great lakes! The place was spacious and very clean. We went to the local grocery store and bought food and cooked dinner for ourselves. We also checked out movies they had available in lobby.

My only complaint was that there were quite some bugs in the bathroom. I must have killed at least 6 of them. And there was one floating in the tub when we were draining out our tub after a late night bubble bath. Ick...not good.

Other than the bugs, we had a good stay.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank shopgirl7466
Park Point Marina Inn
Park Point Marina Inn
#2 of 33 in Duluth
The Inn On Lake Superior

Been to Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!