“Not your Betty's Pies”

Ranked #1 of 4 Dessert in Two Harbors
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I use to visit Betty's Pies years ago and I even have Betty's cookbook and still use these recipes when I make my own pie (which I have been doing for 30 years). I visited there the week of the Fourth of July 2013. I knew the original Betty no longer own and operated the restaurant and there was a new building. The place was packed so we ordered two whole pies, at $17.00 each, "to go". We were told they were made on the premises and could even see stacks of pies cooling from where we were standing.

The pies were horrible especially the crust. This is not the same recipe. It tasted like cardboard and the filling tasted like it came out of a can. Perhaps they put it together and bake it there but this is no homemade pie. I would never waste my money on this pie. I did not try any of the food.

1  Thank merry5221
There are newer reviews for Betty's Pies

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my feed at Betty's Pies today! My overall experience was great, the food was very good, and the pie is excellent! The pie, well it's worth driving a whole day for, or maybe even two! The pie is truly worthy of the world famous status as advertised.

I ordered the Beef Pastie which comes with gravy, and cole slaw. This was my first ever pastie, and it's very good. I enjoyed it better adding the gravy to the pastie. First I dipped pieces of pie in the gravy, and ended up pouring the gravy over my yummy pastie. The beef pastie is filled with roast beef bits, potatoes, carrots and onions. Somewhere in the mix, or on the side is rutabaga.

The pastry was tasty as well, not sweet or buttery. Just good pastry filled with the veggies listed above, and seasoning.

The cole slaw was ok. It was nice to have as a side.

The pie was delicious! I had the Great Lakes pie, with ice cream. What an excellent pie, hours later I'm still thinking about it. The Great Lakes pie has rhubarb, apples, raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries, within a delicious crust. With a bit of ice cream this pie is fantastic.

The service was good as possible, considering Betty's was absolutely slammed. Our waitress was very friendly, and she was quite knowledgable about the menu, and the pies.

Betty's Pies has a great atmosphere, and the perfect decor. The restaurant is located right off the main highway, right near Stewart River.

1  Thank BigUncleChris
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Pie is as advertised...I had the rhubarb. The chicken pastie was great, daughter declared her grilled cheese "amazing." Service was solid...we were there on a Saturday night so quite crowded but they seem to move people through pretty well. Would go back next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Always get great service and great food at a fair price! They were packed, as soon as one group was seated another would come in, but they kept things moving and no one had to wait more than 5 minutes!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Betty's was right down the road from where we were staying so we decided to quick run up and get a couple pieces of pie to bring back to the room. We got there, mid week at the end of September, and the place was packed. We went to the order counter and waited maybe 10-15 minutes. They had a great selection of pies that you could order by the piece or by the pie. We got our 2 pieces to go and left.

I cannot imagine what the wait would have been if we were actually going to sit down and dine in.

We got one piece of chocolate banana and one piece of Reeses. We enjoyed them and they were heavenly. But isn't all pie????