“Our family from 2-62 found this a great place to do (lunch)”

The Rustic Inn Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Dessert in Two Harbors
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Please go
though the service is a little slow.
Our whole family, from 2 to 62
found this a great place to do
lunch.
We will go back tomorrow because the food is top rate
Among the very best "road food" in this or any other state.

Service can be a little slow
But I'd still say go, go go.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

For almost 40 years my wife and i have traveled up the North Shore of Superior every summer. Several years ago we bought a small cabin just north of Two Harbors, MN, We had stopped in at the Rustic Inn many times, and believe it or not we always had delicious meals, friendly and professional service, and the BEST pie on the North Shore.

Tonight we went there for dinner with our (adult) children, and it was another excellent experience. My wife had fish, my daughter and her husband split a "more than just a sandwich," my son had the steak and I had my favorite dinner, the wild rice meatloaf. After dessert (I had the Lemon Angel, which is also a favorite), I asked my son how he liked it and he said "it was good, great, grand...wonderful!"

In our opinion, the Rustic Inn is much better than Betty's Pies. Actually, everyone we bring to the Rustic agrees. If you are traveling up the North Shore, make sure you stop here to eat, you won't be disappointed. PS - My favorite lunch is the Pork Tenderloin Po'Boy and my favorite breakfast is the Logger's Omelette.

2  Thank bigdaddy73
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We have started eating regularly at this homey place on the North Shore and have fallen in love. A local gave us the tip 2 years ago. She said "the pies are better than Betty's Pies", and she was right! But it isn't just the pies - we have loved pretty much everything on the menu from the hearty breakfasts to filling lunches.

This last visit I scarfed up the Frutis of the Forest pie (that's rhubarb, apple, bluberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries...) and the Rhubarb Coffee Cake. The Rustic Inn version of the pie was the best of 3 renditions we tried that week. The coffee cake was an unexpected delight - tasy and sweet with noticeable rhubarb content. I had to have it a second time after hearing a waitress mention to another customer that it was still available (though not on the printed menu).

Also enjoyed were the Lumberjack skillet breakfasts and the luncheon wraps.

As long as we are going Up North regularly, we'll be back!

Afterall, they even have Abdallah chocolates at the checkout counter!

1  Thank Jandar
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Oh. My. Gosh.

Rustic Inn is a very cute, quaint restaurant on the North Shore in Minnesota. It's set in a very beautiful location near Lake Superior, and serves WONDERFUL homemade food!

However.

The lady who owns the place has about as much care for people as Al Qaeda does. She has created an atmosphere and personnel that is uncomfortable, combative, and highly insensitive. They'll argue with you to your face! My family and I have gone there several times hoping that it will get better, because the food is so good, but every time we're totally disappointed! The average wait time between you sitting down and a server greeting you is 10-15 minutes. Then it's another 10 while you you wait for your water, and you probably never will get your slice of lemon. An order never ever comes out the way you asked for it, and good grief, you better not ask for a substitution, unless you're happy with a fee tacked on for everything! And even then it won't be right! Example: My sister ordered a sandwich with cheddar cheese instead of swiss. Well, that's an extra $.50! Not to add it, but just to substitute it! So the sandwich came out, and there was swiss on it anyways! So we told her to fix it and she came back and there was a half slice of cheddar on the top and still swiss on the bottom! What in the world does she think a substitution is? A complaint to the owner only gave us a desire to bomb the place. She says, "Yeah? So? This is a restaurant, what do you expect?" What?! I expect CUSTOMER service! This isn't Hitler's Deli! She has no care in the world for people. She just wants money and if you're unhappy, she's mad that you're wasting her time with a complaint.

We have had waiters roll their eyes when we asked for the side of bleu cheese dressing we didn't get, we've been billed for things we didn't order, we've gotten our hot chocolate after we had finished eating, we've sat there for an hour and a half waiting for food, and we just leave there so mad! Every time! It's a bummer :( We feel like Hansel and Gretel. We try to enjoy the tasty food and the look of it, but the witch and her crew are just out to get us!

So don't go there. Please. I'm sure you're a wonderful person that doesn't need to be treated like that. It's bad for your health.

6  Thank CountryBeth87
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I love going to the Rustic Inn at Castle Danger. MN. It is between Two Harbors and Gooseberry Falls state Park. So many people stop at Betty's Pies because of an old reputation, but I think Rustic Inn is MUCH better. The old part is like going to Grandma''s cabin. It has exposed logs and red and white checked tablecloths. Any main course is excellent and all homemade. You may want to share with a friend, as portions are large and you have to say room for the homemade pie. My favorite is the lemon angel. There is also a very nice gift shop connected to the building and a case of homemade candy.