“A must eat while visiting the North Shore of Lake Superior!”

Black Wood's Bar & Grill
Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Two Harbors
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We have eaten at Blackwoods many times, all locations (Duluth and Proctor), and we are always extremely satisfied with our experience and look forewad to the next. The service has always been great, the food is nicely up north and exceptional (the roasted chicken is a favorite and we actually catered it to my Groom's dinner on the North Shore!!). The fish dishes are all fantastic, actually never had or heard of a sub par meal there! We loce this place!

1  Thank SkolVikings
There are newer reviews for Black Wood's Bar & Grill

Reviewed July 26, 2011

While in the area we had lunch at this property because we had free coupons from a local B&B where we stayed. We came about 11:15 a.m. when the place was basically empty. We were heading home and so we were not in the mood to linger - that was unfortunate.

The service was slow. Getting the final bill was slow. The waitress uninterested and not helpful without much prompting. After ordering I was nervous as to the quality of the food because things did not start out well.

My friend had the walleye sandwich and enjoyed it very much. I had the philly cheesesteak which is made with their own home made pot roast and that was very good.

Food was very good (not great) but service poor and prices average. My friend gave the waitress a very minimal tip because of the sloppy service.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

I have eaten many fish sandwiches at many restaurants and I can say that I had more bones in this one sandwich then all the others in my forty year long life combined. I just picked them out and ate as I was in a hurry.

After leaving is when I really found out what this place is about. I called back to talk to the manager and was told a huge lie about how they can only get walleye from US fisheries and they all have bones and no restaurants can serve Canadian walleye anymore as it is unavailable. Really? Am I that dumb? She just blew us off and said if you don't like the service or food, don't come back.

I won't and I suggest you don't go here and put yourself in the same situation. BTW the DQ accros the steet serves fish sandwiches, and they don't have bones......I have eaten at Black woods four times in the last few years when I go north. I will not go again. The last time I ordered a walleye fillet sandwich. The first bite came out with four bones in it. Ok, its fish and bones can happen, so I opened up the sandwich and he fillet was not a fillet, it was a steak, loaded with bones. I told the wait staff what had happened and she went to talk to manager and came back to explain that it is fish, you should expect bones.

1  Thank Tezer
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My family and I went to Two Harbors in 2008 and ate at Blackwood's every meal because it was outstanding. All superior quality, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The walleye especially was always outstanding and what most attracted me. The food was so good that I recommended it to friends who frequent the North Shore. I returned to North Shore in 2009 for a day and ate breakfast and lunch there and was again treated to outstanding meals. Last night my family and I returned to Blackwood's and although my wife's Parmesan Crusted Talapia was quite good, our waiter forgot our appetizer, the salads were wilted and full of lettuce cores, the walleye fillet was 3/4 the size it used to be and overdone and chewy along all edges. Maybe, the saving portion of the meal, was the mint ice cream truffle we had for dessert. However, we didn't go there for the dessert.

What happened...? New chef? New management? Bad economy portions? Whatever the reason, we doubt that we will be returning.

Reviewed January 11, 2011

Afer visiting family up the North Shore, my wife and I stopped in at Black Woods in Two Harbors, MN. Our server recommended the Walleye, so that's what I ordered; my wife had a salad. From top to bottom, this was a great experience. Service was great, food was EXCELLENT (best Walleye I've ever had!!), and the atmosphere is very comfortable and inviting. Highly recommended!!!!

1  Thank SnowKat32