“Management is poor and careless”

Black Wood's Bar & Grill
Ranked #4 of 29 Restaurants in Two Harbors
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Management is poor and careless”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I have eaten many fish sandwiches at many restaurants and I can say that I had more bones in this one sandwich then all the others in my forty year long life combined. I just picked them out and ate as I was in a hurry.

After leaving is when I really found out what this place is about. I called back to talk to the manager and was told a huge lie about how they can only get walleye from US fisheries and they all have bones and no restaurants can serve Canadian walleye anymore as it is unavailable. Really? Am I that dumb? She just blew us off and said if you don't like the service or food, don't come back.

I won't and I suggest you don't go here and put yourself in the same situation. BTW the DQ accros the steet serves fish sandwiches, and they don't have bones......I have eaten at Black woods four times in the last few years when I go north. I will not go again. The last time I ordered a walleye fillet sandwich. The first bite came out with four bones in it. Ok, its fish and bones can happen, so I opened up the sandwich and he fillet was not a fillet, it was a steak, loaded with bones. I told the wait staff what had happened and she went to talk to manager and came back to explain that it is fish, you should expect bones.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Tezer

Des Moines, Iowa
“What happened...”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My family and I went to Two Harbors in 2008 and ate at Blackwood's every meal because it was outstanding. All superior quality, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The walleye especially was always outstanding and what most attracted me. The food was so good that I recommended it to friends who frequent the North Shore. I returned to North Shore in 2009 for a day and ate breakfast and lunch there and was again treated to outstanding meals. Last night my family and I returned to Blackwood's and although my wife's Parmesan Crusted Talapia was quite good, our waiter forgot our appetizer, the salads were wilted and full of lettuce cores, the walleye fillet was 3/4 the size it used to be and overdone and chewy along all edges. Maybe, the saving portion of the meal, was the mint ice cream truffle we had for dessert. However, we didn't go there for the dessert.

What happened...? New chef? New management? Bad economy portions? Whatever the reason, we doubt that we will be returning.

• Visited June 2011
Walker, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a restaurant!!”
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Afer visiting family up the North Shore, my wife and I stopped in at Black Woods in Two Harbors, MN. Our server recommended the Walleye, so that's what I ordered; my wife had a salad. From top to bottom, this was a great experience. Service was great, food was EXCELLENT (best Walleye I've ever had!!), and the atmosphere is very comfortable and inviting. Highly recommended!!!!

• Visited December 2010
1 Thank SnowKat32
Chicago, Illinois
“There was once a good restaurant in this buidling”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I really enjoyed the restaurant that occupied this space years ago, but this dump. The food is totally mediocore and the prices are outrageous. Pack a lunch or go to Mcdonalds in duluth

Grand Rapids, Minnesota
“Not Good!”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

My friend and I stayed in Two Harbors for the weekend and decided to try dinner at Blackwoods instead of the restaurant at our resort. This was a big mistake, it started off with little things the waiter kept forgetting to get us and proceeded into the food being over cooked. I truly felt that we could have receieved better service and food for much less at an Applebee's.