“Close to perfect!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed November 13, 2009

WHERE: Grand Superior Lodge, MN

WHEN: August

WHO: I spend probably 25% of my time on the road for business. I typically stay at Hiltons and Marriotts, with the occasional Sofitel or Star Hotels thrown in for good measure. This is just to give you some idea of my frame of reference.

WHAT: I booked, and received a 1BR log cabin. I booked the cabin through the GSL website, and paid the posted rates.

LOCATION: The GSL is located 11 miles north of Two harbors, and a few miles south of Gooseberry Falls state park. I wouldn’t call it secluded, but it is away from most hustle and bustle. If you’re driving from the Duluth airport, plan and print your route beforehand. Don’t rely on rental company maps or street signs. They’re sorely lacking for some reason.

ARRIVAL. I arrived at the GSL around midnight. Again, there were no visible signs distinguishing the main office, but it’s easy enough to single out the largest building and take a chance. If you’re arriving at night, bring a flashlight to help you find your house / cabin, because again...NO SIGNS!

CHECK-IN. The check in process was smooth, simple, and efficient. The Staff was always helpful, friendly, courteous, and professional.

THE GROUNDS. Aside from the lack of signs (Have I mentioned that?), I couldn’t have enjoyed the grounds more. Everything was incredibly maintained and manicured, without losing the rustic lodge feel. Complimentary outdoor games (horseshoes, bean bags, ladder golf, etc) are placed around the area for first come / first served guest usage.

THE CABIN. I loved the “1BR log cabin”, unit 511. It consisted of a living room, kitchen, bathroom w/ jacuzzi tub, and a bedroom. There was a very sizable front porch with 2 wooden chairs. The kitchen was fully stocked with anything you’d need to cook a simple meal. There were also conveniences like simple spices and dish detergent. I wonder if maybe the GSL has the good sense to keep usable items left by guests (as opposed to throwing them away), or if they actually stock all these things in every one of their units. Regardless, it was all very convenient.
The amazing attention to detail didn’t stop there. There were books, magazines, puzzles, and games tucked away in various nooks and crannies. There was an AM / FM / CD player in the bedroom, and a DVD player in the living room. The cabin was stocked with newspaper and wood for the wood stove, with more available by calling the front desk. The front porch / deck had both a charcoal and electric grill. As housekeeping doesn’t clean units with stays less than 5 days, there were plenty of towels and additional linens provided.
It should be noted that the log cabin doesn’t have air conditioning. There were several box fans provided, however, so it was never a problem. I would maybe caution against that particular unit in temperatures of greater than 90 degrees, but I have to think those days are rare in northern MN. There was no furnace or baseboard heating, though there was in-floor heating set at 70, as well as a functioning wood-burning stove.

Where the living room and kitchen had vaulted ceilings, there was a tiny loft over the bedroom and bathroom. There wasn’t a lot of storage space beyond a small dresser in the bedroom, but the steep stairs up to the loft made a great shelf.

While it’s obviously been around a while, everything was amazingly clean and well kept. The bed was a little on the soft side, but was comfortable. If I was forced to find something to complain about, it would have to be the brightness of the un-checked sun in the bedroom in the morning. The east-facing roof-window could use some sort of shade or curtain, but that was easily remedied with a sleep mask.

The jacuzzi tub was very deep, and large enough for two people. There was plenty of hot water, the temperature was consistent, and the water pressure was okay.

I assume the TV + DVD player worked, but I don’t know...which is a testament to how engaging the GSL actually is.

OTHER: Other lodge conveniences included firewood-on-request, stocked fire pits on the beach (rocks, not sand) at nights, complimentary guest canoes / paddles / life jackets, complimentary bicycles / helmets, a surprisingly well-stocked library with books and DVDs and a computer with online access and printer. The pool was large and clean, as was the whirlpool. The sauna was a little too large, but clean and functional, and heated up well.

SERVICE:

Cabin – It wasn’t cleaned during my 3-day stay, but everything was impeccable when I first walked in.

Front desk / admin – I called for firewood, and it arrived within 20 minutes. I was also able to call and check the availability of a canoe.

Restaurant – More on food below, but service in the restaurant (Kay) was top-notch, whether eating in person, or calling in a special ‘to go’ order of fries.

THE RESTAURANT: I admit upfront that I’m not from MN, and have very limited resources when it comes to finding information on places to eat. There very well may be a nicer, better restaurant in the Two harbors area than the on-site “Splashing Rock Restaurant”......but I couldn’t find it...after a great amount of googling, reading, asking, and drive-by’s. The food was consistently above average, as was the variety of the menu.

SUMMARY: The Grand Superior Lodge is NOT cheap. It is, however, an amazing value considering everything you get for your hard-earned money. I strongly recommend the GSL for a quick or romantic getaway, and I would be excited to stay there again.

Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank travelducky2
There are newer reviews for Grand Superior Lodge

Reviewed November 11, 2009

My husband and I are so pleased with our experience at Grand Superior Lodge.
We had 3 months to completely change our wedding day. (We went from a 360 person guest list to a 50 person.)
Courtney, the events coordinator, was so wonderful! She was compassionate, prompt, and honest. There was no "fine line."
The food we were served was amazing! They even worked with our budget and menu desires and came up with a unique plate.
The price was right too!
And who can resist the B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L (and romantic) scenery that comes with GSL?
I would definitely recommend GSL as a perfect place to hold a wedding/reception!

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed November 1, 2009

We have stayed at the Grand Superior Lodge many times...our last was for our wedding weekend!! Whether you are looking for a weekend or week getaway on the Northshore this is it!

Our wedding on the Northshore was everything we wanted & more! The staff at the GSL are simply amazing! Their chef's are also amazing, wonderful food at the Splashing Rock Restaurant (which also catered our food for the wedding). The cabins & log homes are beautiful & highly recommended! We rented a 3-Bedroom log home right on the shore for our wedding weekend & completely worth it!! The views of Lake Superior are breathtaking! Whenever we go up there we never want to leave!! We are now planning on making it up there for our 1 yr anniversary!

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Family stayed at Grand Superior Lodge in October for a couple days of vacation. Made reservations months in advance for cabin with two joined rooms and a king bed. Availability was confirmed a week before arrival. Rooms were not what we reserved and confirmed. Equipment, such as grill and fireplace, did not work properly. Manager was defensive, rude, and unapologetic. There are better hotels/resorts at same or less cost in this area with better staff and management (we checked while in the area). This hotel offers a cheap experience at a premium price. This would be an OK place if the management was better and parking was adequate.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank North_Shore_Hiker8
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Stayed here with my husband for our 8th anniversary and we just wanted to relax and hang out in our suite. The first night was good until I went to sleep and looked on the side of my night stand where we found garbage from a previous stay. Someone had shared some wine and the cork was still laying on the floor. The following day my husband and I left for a bit and when we came back the cleaning crew had already been in our room and the garbage remained. Makes me wonder how well the staff clean the rooms. Also, if you just want to watch tv...there are limited channels and they really don't come in at all. They have a dvd library but the selection is very poor. Also, when we were out and about on the grounds there were staff members out and lets just say their conversation was less than desirable. Apparently our room happened to be above the laundry/housekeeping room and we had four wheel traffic and van traffic most of the day back and forth. The staff were not very polite and we got to listen to their music as they unloaded all of their cleaning supplies/laundry. The fireplace was great and the view was wonderful, but I would not stay in that room again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lakesuperior_9
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Everything was forgotten as soon as we pulled in the parking lot. It was beautiful, the view, buildings and grounds. We stayed in the lodge and the room was beautiful, spa tub, fireplace, deck, you could not asked for anything more. Very clean and oh sooooo comfortable. The bar and restaurant had great charm and a super view and good food. There were so many activities available that we ran out of time to complete them all so we are already planning another trip back. It is a wonderful place to sit back, relax and enjoy life.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DexterWI
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Great location, beautiful views, good food and service in restaurant. Uncomfortable beds and pillows are hard as a brick, bring your own.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!