“A Fun Birthday Surprise!”

Grand Superior Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband booked a two-night package stay as a surprise for my 60th birthday. We had a nice Lakeview King Suite with a balcony, Jacuzzi, and fireplace. Other than a creaky bed and some minor maintenance needed, the room was very nice. The hotel staff was helpful and friendly, the food in the restaurant was good and the wait staff also was friendly and provided good service, even though food preparation was slow. The setting was beautiful and close to the sights in the area. We definitely would consider going back sometime.

Room Tip: Definitely get a lakeview room. It costs more but is worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
GrandSuperiorLodge, General Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Dear Carol S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are very pleased you enjoyed our resort and that you felt the staff truly cared about you and provided great service. We enjoy our guests every day so it means a lot to us that you took the time to share.

We wish you the best and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I recently stayed at the resort for a friends wedding. The staff were extremely accommodating for both the ceremony and the guests staying on site.

The rooms were clean and the food was quite tasty. I stayed on the highway side of the hotel and didn't experience road traffic noise. I also wasn't able to hear my neighbors through the walls.

Overall the wedding and weekend activities were complimented by the venue, staff and location to make this a memorable weekend.

Room Tip: Stay on the lake side. Its worth the view!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
GrandSuperiorLodge, General Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Dear Benjamin E,
Thank you very much for your response, it truly means a lot to our team of caring people!
We also appreciate you pointing out some areas that concerned others that have shared their experiences. We know that nearly all of our guests have great experiences which is why we have so many that have been coming here for over 10 years! Thank you for coming to us to share your friend or family member's special event we hope to see all of you come back next year!

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Best wedding experience ever! Great facilities, service, weather, and location. Everyone who attended commented about how wonderful the wedding was and how much they enjoyed their time spent at Grand Superior Lodge.

1  Thank German91159

Dear German91159,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your visit to Grand Superior Lodge! It is one of our greatest pleasures to see how friends and families of our wedding guests come to us for the purpose of sharing an important event but then fall in love with our resort as we too feel it is a small piece of paradise! We look forward to having you come back long into the future!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 15, 2014

We had an excellent experience at Grand Superior Lodge. We stayed in a one-bedroon, pet-friendly cabin and enjoyed everything about it. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We thouroughly enjoyed dinner on the deck overlooking Lake Superior - the food and the service were excellent. Our 23 year old son was with us and loved everything, especially the pool, except the lack of wi-fi in the cabin (not a big deal). The cabin itself was very well maintained and decorated perfectly. The kitchen was well-supplied with all we needed for cooking our meals; and the bar-b-que on the deck was a great feature. The view was stunning, the atmosphere peaceful and it didn't take long for us to decide we'd be back many times in the future!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Charlievoixgirl,
First of all love the tag, we are very thankful for the review and are glad you have found just the right amenities with us that bring you great value. We truly believe that things like pet friendly, full kitchens or just kitchenettes, barbecues and such a variety of sized accommodations allow people who plan ahead an amazing experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me as you continue your tradition as we want you to continue to feel like our home is your home (away from home)!

Best,

Reviewed August 7, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a place to sleep for 1 night on the North Shore when we found this place. We checked in at 7:30 PM on Weds, Aug 6. We were both exhausted because we had been diving in Lake Superior most of the day. I did not anticipate sleep would be a problem.

We asked for a King bed, there were no Kings available so we settled for a Queen. The mattress was hard, and seemed small, even for a Queen. The pillow was small and flat. The AC was underpowered and ineffective at cooling down the room, which was uncomfortably warm when we arrived. We opened the windows, which introduced some traffic noise from nearby highway 61, but did little to cool the room down. There was a fan provided, also no relief.

My wife and I came to the same conclusion: sleep was not going to happen for either of us. We checked out and left for home at 3AM.

I would say the staff was very nice and the location was beautiful. My wife and I were just looking for a night of sleep, and we were not able to find it here.

2  Thank Mike-n-Patty

Dear Mike-n-Patty,
I am so sorry to hear you did not get a good night's sleep, simply contact me directly and we will make it right for you. We did replace some mattresses and I am glad our staff responded well to you. My email is nick@grandsuperior.com.

Awaiting your email,

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Right on the shores of Lake Superior this lodge is beautiful. We had a room in the lodge that had a view of the lake. Even though there was a wedding going on it was quiet and relaxing. They set up fire pits at night you can sit by and even had S'mores(free). The morning was peaceful and you can take a walk and enjoy the scenery. The restaurant was excellent. Good service all the way around.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear beeg1526,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others and acknowledging our great staff!
We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us and got to see one of the remarkable weddings that go on here at Grand Superior Lodge.

Come back soon!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We booked a one-bedroom lakehome at Grand Superior Lodge for one week in mid-July; it was the only unit at the resort that listed AC and we have stayed at places without it on the North Shore in the past and regretted it. From the photos online and speaking with someone at the resort, it seemed we were getting a piece of paradise -- a beautiful location with expansive views of the lake, a full kitchen, fireplace, whirlpool tub, etc. We arrived later in the evening after a full day on the road and my first warning bell went off when we checked in and learned that quiet hours were from midnight to 8 a.m. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect quiet after 10 p.m., especially when you're paying a premium. Turns out I had other things to worry about.

Upon unpacking we discovered issues like the fact that the light switch to the bathroom was on an interior wall away from the door, so at night you would have to walk across the room in the dark to turn on the light. The toilet was obviously extremely old and the paint was worn off the seat. The bedroom was so small that the bed had to be angled to fit between the two doors (one off the main hall and one into the shower room), which left room for just one nightstand and lamp. We wound up bringing in a stool and a lamp from the living room and wedging that in between the bed and partially-closed door so we each could have a light to read by. Despite the fact that it was mid-July and we'd been worried about heat and humidity, it was actually quite cool and we couldn't seem to get the heat to kick on. We even called the front desk and had someone from maintenance stop by, but he just said the thermostat was set to 70 degrees and the forced-air furnace should come on if the interior temperature dropped below that. After he left we bumped up the temperature by a few degrees but the heat never came on. We had to use the fireplace to warm up the main living area, but that did nothing for the bedroom.

There were no curtains on any of the windows, only honeycomb blinds, which are intended to provide privacy but allow light in. There were lights over the deck on our unit and the neighbors', which faced our bedroom, along with lights over the front doors (all apparently incapable of being extinguished) and security lighting along the path. So much light flooded into the bedroom that I could see all of the furniture and my husband's face lying in bed beside me. I hunted for blankets to possibly hang over the three windows, but there was only one lightweight throw and one extra blanket to be found in the closets and nothing to hang them with anyway. In addition, the bed (which had to be the smallest/narrowest "queen" in existence) was rock hard. I gave up trying to lie there and moved to the sofa, in the living area that was even brighter than the bedroom because some of the windows there didn't even have blinds. I didn't sleep at all, just watched the clock and the lake out the window and in the morning we agreed we couldn't stay another night.

Thus, instead of our relaxing, romantic week at a resort, we had to pay an exorbitant rate for one sleepless night, pack back up and find another place to stay. It was horribly disappointing. Yes, this resort is in a gorgeous location with stunning lake views, but the accommodations themselves aren't worth the price. If you want to actually enjoy your stay, try somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daphne32

Dear Daphne32,
I am so sorry about your stay and hope you will contact me at nick@grandsuperior.com immediately. It sounds like you had one of our lake home guestrooms which are smaller units upstairs as part of our 3 or 4 bedroom lake homes. We did have a couple, maybe only 10-12 hot days, this summer and I bet we didn't ensure the room was kept cold prior to your arrival, I am sorry. We will work harder to make sure that doesn't happen to others in the future.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Two Harbors
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!