“Nice clean room. Beautiful view.”

Grand Superior Lodge
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was a great place to stay. The room was clean and the views are amazing. The food isnt the best. I got a suite for my girlfriend and I. Nothing to complain about. I would reccomend this hotel to couples rather than a large family. The location is great, very secluded and close to Goosberry falls.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grand Superior Lodge

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I went up north for a week near the end of spring in May when there was almost no one else up there yet for the summer. I can understand why other reviewers might have complained about it being crowded and service being slow if it was packed, but when we went there was hardly anyone else there. We stayed in the cabin farthest away from the main lodge and it was truly beautiful! Also, this place is really expensive but if you keep an eye on their website they have a lot of specials throughout the year, when we went up they had a stay one night, get one night free which was a great deal! The rooms are luxurious and it is right on the lake, you can hear the sound of the waves as you fall asleep at night. I would definitely recommend this place if you are able to go up there during low tourism seasons.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family and I stayed here for three nights after Christmas. It was very slow paced and very relaxing. The staff was exceptional and they got to know you during you stay. Alissa was extremely helpful on multiple occasions. Alissa helped us line up everything from a campfire on the shore to great breakfast service and recommendations. The rooms were amazing huge bathrooms, giant tubs in the bedrooms and great lake views. Our unit also had a gas grill we used. The front desk has a large selection of movies games and books you can use.

One of the coolest things was the ice bar Blu. It does have very limited hours so check those out but it is a great experience. The detail in the ice carvings is pretty cool. There are little details all over the place. I was told it took six days to build and it is really impressive.

We also spent some time at the bar inside and I highly recommend the homemade Parmesan chips. The ice cream brownie is also pretty good. Overall I highly recommend this place.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Keep the spa - I got totally relaxed with waves of Lake Superior breaking on the rocky shore just a stone throw away. It is the reason I keep coming back.

The hotel is fine. I liked the rustic decor. Any problems that arose were resolved with a little patience. Give the staff a chance and they will solve whatever problem you have with the hotel. The hotel restaurant is not the great for dinner (at least what I ordered). I still eat there because I don't want to drive 20 miles for something a little better. However, the cheesecake was fantastic and is a must for my next visit.

We had a room with a hot tub and really didn't use it. I sat on the balcony reading and listening to the waves.

Room Tip: Lake Superior is why you stay - get a room with lake access.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just returned from spending the Christmas holidays at Grand Superior. We had two rooms, one was a standard courtyard lodge room and the other was a 2 bdm log cabin.

The staff is extremely responsive. Firewood delivered and stacked within minutes, garbage removed quickly. The cabins are non-housekeeping but if you need anything, they still respond quickly with a smile. The lodge room is a housekeeping room and the rooms were cleaned nicely.

The cabin was decorated very nicely and equipped well for cooking. I would bring a few extra things like a scrub pad for doing dishes and extra dish towels. Plates and glasses for eight were provided in the 2 bdrm cabin. DVD and CD players in the room and a good stock of games.

You have views of the lake but are not on the lake. This was fine for us. Paved paths are there for you to take a walk down and along the lake. Big Plus which we did not notice when booking the room; the room description calls out one bathroom with whirlpool tub. They did not mention that there is a bathroom with shower in the main bedroom. That was great with the group.
Lodge rooms are nice as well. Ours overlooked the parking area and was quiet. Other reviews stated that the lake views are great but if a wedding is going on that it might be noisy. Because of this we were just fine with a parking lot view of the Ice Bar and taking a walk if you wanted to look at the lake.

Pool area was good, large hot tub, pool and sauna. Nice locker rooms to change in if you are coming over from one of the cabins.

Perfect location and space for a family get-away. Close to state parks.

Parking is an issue. It was quiet-time and yet we were not always able to park close. It appeared that many of the Lake Homes have no parking in front of them, rather you park in a lot and walk down a path with your "stuff".

Room Tip: We really loved the 2 bdrm log cabin. Heat control in the room was accessible and they are more pri...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We rented a one bedroom lakehome - with a wood fireplace. It was wonderful and relaxing.
Early December is the time to come - we had the place to ourselves. Very quiet.

The sunrise each morning was beautiful - the food in the restaurant very good - the staff very helpful- and the massages a great treat.

We will definitely come back - and would definitely recomment this room type.

Room Tip: Choose the lakehomes over the cabins as they are right on the water.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sjiver
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were married here in 2010, have been back for our anniversary since then, and had excellent experiences each time we stayed.

Courtney and the staff were extremely friendly throughout the planning phase and at wedding-time. We were amazed at how they transformed the meeting room into both a chapel and reception hall, and how great it looked. Our wedding was relatively small at 60-70 people so there was plenty of space. Family and friends seemed to enjoy their rooms and the grounds. Everyone truly did seem to think it was a wonderful venue. As much of a logistical hassle as getting married is, we were truly saddened when the weekend came to an end, largely due to the great location and its staff.

The food was from in-house and outstanding. In the off-season, however, I could see how some might find the restaurant's menu to be somewhat abbreviated. There are plenty of other places to eat along highway 61, however, including the Rustic Inn right across the road (excellent).

We have stayed in two lodge rooms and a cabin, and found the accomodations to be clean and well-kept. I can't comment on repairs or service as we required none. The pool, sauna and large hot tub were comfortable and enjoyable, as well. It's nice to soak in the hot water while watching the waves of Superior hit the shore out the window...

All in all, this was a great place to get married and we have been back for one anniversary. We hope to make it again next March! Love this place.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!